Lamping tonight.

My mate had been on at me for a couple of weeks to come down with his bitch for a bit of lamping.He arrived at 7.45pm and we were in the first field with his bitch Megan at 8pm, Megan is collie/grey X bedlington/grey and is 16 months old. He has been taking her up the hill for long ears but has been finding them hard to come across hence the reason he was wanting to give her a blow out on the beam.

This was Megan's first taste of lamping so we knew what to expect. The first field held a decent number of rabbits but every time I had one lit up in the beam Megan was looking elsewhere,which I fully expected to happen.She did have 3 good chases in that field but lost them on the turns.

So it was onto the second field, again this held a good number of rabbits but most of them were a bit lamp shy.Megan had 3 or 4 runs in this field without catching, she was unlucky with one that she mouthed but didn't get a hold of.She was however showing an interest in the beam.

The next field gave her 5 runs,3 of them in quick succession,one which she worked hard and again was unlucky not to be rewarded for her efforts.The good thing was every time she missed she came straight back,no hunting up whatsoever which I thought there might have been.

We went through 3 more fields which yielded the bitch another 8 runs and although she got close to nabbing 1 or 2 she didn't manage to connect.She was looking down the beam for the rabbits by the end of the session.Megan will have come on a bundle for the experience and the runs will have done her the world of good.

We arrived back at the van at 9pm and although we were rabbitless I'd thoroughly enjoyed my walk out.I'm certain that the next time My mate comes down with Megan it will be a different result.

Nice one for getting the dog out on the beam mate, you gotta start them somewhere, some take longer than others to click as you probably know. sounds like shes looking down the beam and isnt putting her nose down after a run so thats a majour hurdle overcome, must not be dishearterned that she didnt manage to catch one, iam sure she will come good, i took my beddie whippet out the other night she 8 month old first time out on lamp, first rabbit i saw a nice squatter walked up on it and she turned it a few times the banged it, after that she had 5 more runs and missed them all 2 of by a nats cock, its just the way it goes, all i would say is that you gotta find easy rabbits for em first, some squatters walk up on em close as you can but dont slip till the rabbit moves off as 9 times out of ten the dog will run straight past it if it dont know then lamp. it dont take long for most dogs to get the gist of it and once they have they just get better and better from then on. good luck mate.

My mate had been on at me for a couple of weeks to come down with his bitch for a bit of lamping.He arrived at 7.45pm and we were in the first field with his bitch Megan at 8pm, Megan is collie/grey X bedlington/grey and is 16 months old. He has been taking her up the hill for long ears but has been finding them hard to come across hence the reason he was wanting to give her a blow out on the beam.

This was Megan's first taste of lamping so we knew what to expect. The first field held a decent number of rabbits but every time I had one lit up in the beam Megan was looking elsewhere,which I fully expected to happen.She did have 3 good chases in that field but lost them on the turns.

So it was onto the second field, again this held a good number of rabbits but most of them were a bit lamp shy.Megan had 3 or 4 runs in this field without catching, she was unlucky with one that she mouthed but didn't get a hold of.She was however showing an interest in the beam.

The next field gave her 5 runs,3 of them in quick succession,one which she worked hard and again was unlucky not to be rewarded for her efforts.The good thing was every time she missed she came straight back,no hunting up whatsoever which I thought there might have been.

We went through 3 more fields which yielded the bitch another 8 runs and although she got close to nabbing 1 or 2 she didn't manage to connect.She was looking down the beam for the rabbits by the end of the session.Megan will have come on a bundle for the experience and the runs will have done her the world of good.

We arrived back at the van at 9pm and although we were rabbitless I'd thoroughly enjoyed my walk out.I'm certain that the next time My mate comes down with Megan it will be a different result.

Having similar experience with my own pup just keep at it.