You just have to be honest with yourself

Guest Dillon

Guest Dillon

They look the part and the dog on the right isn't tooooooooo bad but they are both destined for a life elsewhere, I am sick as a chip as they have both been run on from pups out of decent stock. :(

Started off well but they just don't have the minerals and its time I admitted it.

Such a shame, I was hoping they would start well this season and be bang at it for next, just not to be.

the dog on the left had a tough dig on some strong quarry a few months ago and come through with flying colours.

The dog on the right has had well in excess of twenty digs but is just pure and simple a coward.

Dogs out of the same litters to these dogs are making it, just proves some do some don't.

Bollox Gutted

mw and trev were on about this a while back ... he has a dog there that came to him the same way as charlie boy came to me ... a couple of years old and never seen an earth ... i am starting to believe taht no matter how well bred a litter is a dog that is left to fully mature into an adult will turn out to be a better dog .... an adult dog can bounce back from a hard punishing dig than a youngster will ... and in the depths of thejm earths its a canfidence thing .... confidence can be so easily damaged if a dog is not mature mentally wise ..... dillon please dont think i am saying you didnt enter yours correctly .... this thread just got me thinking about the chat me and trev had ;) .........

Am in the same boat bdillon got a crackin lookin lakey about 17month now but just aint made the grade and have a 14 month that has seen about 4 fox and got slight skelp above the eye last month and backed down straight away so still a bit dubious about him :whistle:A well back to the drawin board as they say.

Hope the dogs go to good homes and everything works out.

Gash

Guest Dillon
mw and trev were on about this a while back ... he has a dog there that came to him the same way as charlie boy came to me ... a couple of years old and never seen an earth ... i am starting to believe taht no matter how well bred a litter is a dog that is left to fully mature into an adult will turn out to be a better dog .... an adult dog can bounce back from a hard punishing dig than a youngster will ... and in the depths of thejm earths its a canfidence thing .... confidence can be so easily damaged if a dog is not mature mentally wise ..... dillon please dont think i am saying you didnt enter yours correctly .... this thread just got me thinking about the chat me and trev had ;) .........

I wouldn't think that anyway mate, none of the dogs have had real punishing digs to date, the dog on the left at best did 1 1/2 hrs to a strong old bit of quarry with little damage, he has just given up , not interested, I worked him on a fox yesterday and he turned tail after no more than five mins the dog on the right is 3years old and been digging him for two seasons he has started wanting out as soon as you break through, allowing himself to be pushed around too much too, they have the same sire and dam but different litters.

Am in the same boat bdillon got a crackin lookin lakey about 17month now but just aint made the grade and have a 14 month that has seen about 4 fox and got slight skelp above the eye last month and backed down straight away so still a bit dubious about him :whistle:A well back to the drawin board as they say.

Hope the dogs go to good homes and everything works out.

Gash

IMO 14 month is a bit young mate, the dog on the left started like he needed holding back, so I held him back for the fear of spoiling him, he is now 18 months killed two foxes stone dead and worked a couple of other things, 18 months might seem young to some of you to strike a dog off, but I can't put up with inconsistency.

They will go to good homes, in fact the best home, terrier heaven. ;)

Guest Dillon

There is a lot to be said for getting terriers at a right age two yrs and up maybe, but getting them is a different matter, if yr lucky enough to come by unspoilt mature dogs they r well worth the risk, I could keep these dogs till next season and see if they change their ways but when you know ultimately what the answer will be there aint much point.

One thing I won't do is pass them on, If I do they will be minus their bollox ;)

your right its down to yourself ..........i know its not always easy (mrs LOL) just f*****g shoot the crap keep the best ...think a hunred years ago!!???!!! breed the dogs to do a job if they don't, don't feed them thats how you get good un's in the end ......other wise, keep mr silky hair or mr lovely eyes .....LOL LOL