everything comes to those who wait

have been getting the ball rolling to apply for my FAC, as an "open" ticket, straight away, without having permission to shoot anywhere, purely from letters from my employer, saying that my holding a FAC will get me "up the corperate ladder" as we have rabbit and fox control on different depots/locations throughout the year

but after chatting to a few people, I know that having "permission" would hopefully seal the deal,

well I got chatting with a guy at our local country fayre, whose the manager of a large establishment within essex, that runs, functions,weddings etc, its a 12 achre plot with lots of rabbits, entering from neighbouring farms, I basically offered "free" pest control across the board, everything from wasps to rabbits, in exchange for full permission, and them filling in the permission slip on the FAC application, which they have snapped my arm at

so, my questions are

is 12 achres big enough to use rimfire on, if the FAO inspects it

also, and dont laugh at this one, but

do different types of ammo, travel different distances :hmm: ie, making it better to use a shorter traveling ammo in certain areas

have been getting the ball rolling to apply for my FAC, as an "open" ticket, straight away, without having permission to shoot anywhere, purely from letters from my employer, saying that my holding a FAC will get me "up the corperate ladder" as we have rabbit and fox control on different depots/locations throughout the year

but after chatting to a few people, I know that having "permission" would hopefully seal the deal,

well I got chatting with a guy at our local country fayre, whose the manager of a large establishment within essex, that runs, functions,weddings etc, its a 12 achre plot with lots of rabbits, entering from neighbouring farms, I basically offered "free" pest control across the board, everything from wasps to rabbits, in exchange for full permission, and them filling in the permission slip on the FAC application, which they have snapped my arm at

so, my questions are

is 12 achres big enough to use rimfire on, if the FAO inspects it

also, and dont laugh at this one, but

do different types of ammo, travel different distances :hmm: ie, making it better to use a shorter traveling ammo in certain areas

ok hear goes,if you have been told its the amount of permission you have in order to get an open ticket you have been told wrong....in order to get an open ticket you need to have an fac for a minimum of 12 mnths and in this time you will need to show many many hundreads of rounds perchased and fired to show you have the expierience to decide if its safe to shoot a piece of ground or not...when you get your first grant the fao will have to check each and every piece of land you want to shoot...your fao will soon get pissed off with you if every week you ask for another piece of ground to be passed..........i will be shocked if an feo will stick his neck out and say you can shoot 12 acres with anything but a high power air rifle..........with 22lr you get high velocity amo and sub sonic even using subs they say a bullit will travel for 2 miles or so....you can get a 22lr short but even these rounds wouldnt be suitable for very small pieces of ground.........

Not to sure if you are correct there woz on the open ticket, i was granted a open ticket on my first application for a FAC, it may be jsut a scottish thing i heard that theres alot of open cert around here . Stubby not sure about the area of ground mate , i dont think there is any given area of ground for diffrent caliber firearms, not sure though, when i was applying for my centrefire i made sure to add all my new permissions as my previous permisson was only 76acres ive added another 10,000 to that. so all i can suggest is try looking for more permission then they cant have any problems , it will help you in the long run just incase they decide not to give you it then you'l have to reapply and its just a pain in the arse. Cant you tag along with some of your pals get to know the land owner and such, i dont know how it works down your way but all of us on the island i live on are happy to share permissions and the farmers have no problems with use coming and going.

it does state on my box of winnie subs that they are dangerous up to 1.5miles yet high velocties state the same value of 1.5mile then hmr's state 2 miles and as you move on from rimfire to centrefire this distance is increased but im sure youve understood that by now.

liam

hi steve...

i would like to say you would get one, but i doubt it very much as they do look on experience with using a rimfire ect, how many rounds have been shot, where theyve been shot....

what sort of land you have, where the back stops are, if any.

all you can do is try..

but personally, as i did myself, i joined a rifle club & gain experience for them to see, put 1000`s of round down range & after 6 months of been a probationary member i appleid for my FAC & got it with no probs, after a few months i asked for the slot for a moderator & expandable ammo " subs " to be used without having the land to shoot it on, i just put down for " health & safety reasons " & it wasnt a problem, then came the land, got it passed for vermin use, shot on there for years with the rimmy & shotties as i never had the need for any larger calibres, but now i got my ticket cleared for the use of .22rf - 17hmr & .223 with no problem atall.. i can also use these on any land that has been passed by the chief officer of police & where i have permission to shoot " closed ticket " ..

im still going to be giving another year befor applying for an open ticket, but you have to make sure you put the right reasons down...

Not to sure if you are correct there woz on the open ticket, i was granted a open ticket on my first application for a FAC, it may be jsut a scottish thing i heard that theres alot of open cert around here . Stubby not sure about the area of ground mate , i dont think there is any given area of ground for diffrent caliber firearms, not sure though, when i was applying for my centrefire i made sure to add all my new permissions as my previous permisson was only 76acres ive added another 10,000 to that. so all i can suggest is try looking for more permission then they cant have any problems , it will help you in the long run just incase they decide not to give you it then you'l have to reapply and its just a pain in the arse. Cant you tag along with some of your pals get to know the land owner and such, i dont know how it works down your way but all of us on the island i live on are happy to share permissions and the farmers have no problems with use coming and going.

it does state on my box of winnie subs that they are dangerous up to 1.5miles yet high velocties state the same value of 1.5mile then hmr's state 2 miles and as you move on from rimfire to centrefire this distance is increased but im sure youve understood that by now.

liam

1.5 miles or km ? my eley say 1.5 km..

liam

im not sure about scotland and fac....as for my area im sure what iv put is right,my old man is an feo and im a range safety officer,but as iv said before differant county's have very differant ways of doing things... :icon_redface::whistling::icon_redface:

they most be pretty lenient here then i never even knew such a thing exsisted as open and close cert when i first applied so i guess its just the done thing here, yes richie its states 2.5km (1.5miles)

what exactly are the needs the land has to have before its passed as "opwn"

a range safety officer, i'll shut up! :icon_redface::icon_redface:

they most be pretty lenient here then i never even knew such a thing exsisted as open and close cert when i first applied so i guess its just the done thing here, yes richie its states 2.5km (1.5miles)

what exactly are the needs the land has to have before its passed as "opwn"

a range safety officer, i'll shut up! :icon_redface::icon_redface:

ive checked the box of my eley subs again:

safety rules: dangerous within 1 mile / 1.5 km.... :wacko:

Stubby

First thing is there are no rules for Open Certificate at first grant.

I, and several other people I know got an Open Certificate at FIRST Grant, and I understand Scotland quite often issues Open at first grant.

But each and every region can interpret the guidelines and look at individual circumstances in whatever way they like!

The best answer is that getting an Open Certificate at first grant these days is getting harder and harder, you will have to put a very strong case.....but never say never!!!

Acreage comes into things ..far more than a more sensible option of topography, 12 acres is very small for a rimmy, and perhaps even a FAC air rifle but who knows!!

Best of luck!! :thumbs:

Stubby

First thing is there are no rules for Open Certificate at first grant.

I, and several other people I know got an Open Certificate at FIRST Grant, and I understand Scotland quite often issues Open at first grant.

But each and every region can interpret the guidelines and look at individual circumstances in whatever way they like!

The best answer is that getting an Open Certificate at first grant these days is getting harder and harder, you will have to put a very strong case.....but never say never!!!

Acreage comes into things ..far more than a more sensible option of topography, 12 acres is very small for a rimmy, and perhaps even a FAC air rifle but who knows!!

Best of luck!! :thumbs:

totaly agree,applied for my open ticket at 18 months of having my fac,shot approx 1200 rounds through,got it no probs,on 120acres.my mates got 1500acres,applied for his within a year of him getting his fac,putting about 2000 rounds through,refused him saying he was obviously plinking about rather than pest contol.he had to wait about another year to apply again.12 acres i think youll be lucky but i hope you get it :thumbs: