saluki\greyhound

WHEN I POSTED THE QUESTION WASNT THINKI NG ABOUT A DOG THATCOULD SIMPLY KILL A HARE AS IVE GOT A WHIPPET MYSELF THATS QUITE CAPABLE OF KILLING ONE OR TWO HARES BUT TO GIVE THE HARE AGOOD 100 150YARD START AND BOX WITH IT FOR 2 4 5 MINS IS THERE ANOTHER X THATS JUST AS GOOD

MAYBE the borzoi or a borzoi x greyhound would be a interesting match for a winter hare not sure though aint seen one run but from what ive read and hear they could be worthy of a try, who knows ?

:tongue2: Too say a saluki x is the best dog for hares is a bit of a broad sweeping statement is it not?Where i hunt i have seen numerous saluki x's fail as it is tight fields with high hedges or fences and i readily admit i am not a fan of salukis but i don't let that predujice my opinion as i have seen various other x's also fail.My own preference is 3/4 greyhound 1/4collie and around here they are ideal but they are not infallible no x is.And also to say that most whippet x's dont have the engine to "box" a hare is also a tad derogatory as i have seen some that could run all day.
:tongue2: Too say a saluki x is the best dog for hares is a bit of a broad sweeping statement is it not?Where i hunt i have seen numerous saluki x's fail as it is tight fields with high hedges or fences and i readily admit i am not a fan of salukis but i don't let that predujice my opinion as i have seen various other x's also fail.My own preference is 3/4 greyhound 1/4collie and around here they are ideal but they are not infallible no x is.And also to say that most whippet x's dont have the engine to "box" a hare is also a tad derogatory as i have seen some that could run all day.

Salukis or saluki greyhounds crosses brought on in the wright hands, the right way will catch hares anywhere in the country on all types of land, small fields, fences, hedges big open feilds anywhere. The countryside is one big feild just with obsticals in the way, bringing them on at a young age with a fast lurcher will give them early pace and gears if you like, a saluki left to run at its own devices will soon settle into a one pace dog, but dragging them on from young with a fast in dog that jumps and goes through hedges with no hesitation will sort that out, once you have seen a saluki cross that can stick on a hare no matter where it goes even on small feilds with fences and hedges whippets and such like will not be on your list for hare dogs, they have there place in hunting as rabbiting dogs lamping or daytime but hares no , not when there tools such as the saluki about no way. But hey if they do the job for you then thats all what matters.