Bushing/Flushing

Hi, I'm new to hunting and I would like some hints/tips/advice about training my Border pup (16 weeks) to bush/flush.

Any help you guys can offer will be more than greatfully received.

This is Hamish at 7 weeks

post-22959-1221309063_thumb.jpg

alright mate i just started taking mine along with the older dogs to let him see what was going on,i think with most terriers as soon as they hear all the noise and yapping in the bush they want in.make sure you do plenty of geeing up mate and get him excited.

Kick around the bushes with your foot. The dog will soon grasp that you want it to have a closer look. I have found with the terriers that i have had that they learn quickly to go a little but further to investigate. Once they realise there is something in there, then there is no turning back.

Good luck

find someone to go out with if you aint got no one get a rabbit from somewere slice the gut do not gut it hang it in front of the terrier let it rip the feck out of it makes em keen always worked for me

or ask to join your local beat for a bit

walk throu the bushes getting the dog to follow so he gets a scent let him see plenty of rabbit

play catch with the dog make it fun but rap the ball in rabbit fur make it fun when a puppy it comes to some naturly but defo take it with someone w

hos working if you can

let them on the young rabbits builds his confidence or find mixy rabbits

try it on rats first let it thats a good way make em keen

take them at night when they got more chance on the lamp i done that before not lamping on an open feild but there might be more lamp dont over feed i dont feed the day before i take mine out if your near dorset you can come with me

Edited by bigdan
Border ?? you sure its border and not border x ?

Buster mate, he came to me as a border, however I think he looks more like a lakey. I could be wrong. In any case, I love the lil' chap and will work him no matter what! I'm a learner and really green to all this, so your input is welcome.

Guest buster321c

Buster mate, he came to me as a border, however I think he looks more like a lakey. I could be wrong. In any case, I love the lil' chap and will work him no matter what! I'm a learner and really green to all this, so your input is welcome.

Good for you mate , no offence ment he just dont look like a border to me :thumbs:

Good for you mate , no offence ment he just dont look like a border to me :thumbs:

His muzzle is too long, I think you might be right. At 17 weeks now, he's boxy and well formed. I guess having seen pics of Borders, my lil chap ain't one, but could be a x tho' I'll post a pic soon now he's coming on, to see what you think. Again ta V much for your input.

Edited by Hamish
Hi, I'm new to hunting and I would like some hints/tips/advice about training my Border pup (16 weeks) to bush/flush.

Any help you guys can offer will be more than greatfully received.

This is Hamish at 7 weeks

post-22959-1221309063_thumb.jpg

next time you get some rabbits keep one of the skins back we did throw it in the bushes in the back garden and the dog will so get the hang of it

good advice about letting the pup play with a skin, also take the pup out early or late in theday when rabbits are out feeding, the pup will chase the rabbits and will follow into thecover, it will start to associate the smell and the runs into cover with the fun of chasing bunnies

also if the pups smelling at a rabbit run and hesitating about going in, throw a few stones into the cover well in front of the pup, the pup should become interested and go to explore, i do this witha hissing sound and now if i see a rabbit/fox/rat etc, go into cover and the dog doesn't i point at the cover and hiss and they associate that with me wanting them to enter, they then come over get their head down and enter :big_boss: