2 questions about 6.5 x 55 calibre

Hi there.

1st question

I'm about to acquire a Tikka T3 Lite, in 6.5 x 55, with a Wildcat mod for deer stalking, and was wondering if any other shooters of that calibre could recommend a cleaning kit. I have looked at Hoppes but they don't seem to have a calibre specific kit for sale. Any thoughts please?

2nd question

I intend to zero at 200 yds using a 140 gr, ballistic tip round. However, the recent ACPO decision to allow the taking of foxes with larger calibre weapons, (FAC already has approval on it), means a 140 gr round would go through and beyond. Notwithstanding ensuring your backstop, I'm looking for a lighter round, but the lightest I have found in this country is a 100 gr round. However, I see that there are 85 gr rounds (made by Sierra I think) available in the USA. At last, the question...does anyone know if they, or a similar round are available in this counrty please?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello i dont have a 6.5 but this cal/bullet diameter is of military back ground thus it has a very popular spectrum in target shooting with 6.5x284/6.5x47 etc the list goes on. getting a cleaning kit should be easy as you need bore guide & 6.5 jag/bronze brush/mop etc

As for bullets the choice is endless from 70g-160g look on midway uk site as they stock a mass of stuff & it will give you an idea of bullets you require. No matter what bullet you should always look for a good safe back stop very risk as 90% + bullets will exit me thinks.

I my self am looking to get a 6.5x284 at some point down the line.

Edited by v-max

I have a 6.5x55 with 140 sp moly federal for deer. I would have no problem using this on fox... as for a fox specific round out the box, try the norma 120gr v-max. Most 6.5's have a 1 in 8 twist which, i have been reliably assured, does not suit quicker, smaller gr bullets in this cal.

I just pull cleaning patch's through my bore... haven't given it a good scrubbing yet :icon_redface:

I have a 6.5x55 with 140 sp moly federal for deer. I would have no problem using this on fox... as for a fox specific round out the box, try the norma 120gr v-max. Most 6.5's have a 1 in 8 twist which, i have been reliably assured, does not suit quicker, smaller gr bullets in this cal.

I just pull cleaning patch's through my bore... haven't given it a good scrubbing yet :icon_redface:

Local..Thanks for the information. I use Federal in my .17 and its never missed a beat. The twist is 1 in 8 in my 6.5 but I was hoping the lighter gr round would have a lighter load, to keep the muzzel velocity down so the round wouldn't try to self destruct.

And thanks for the cleaning advice too.

Hi there.

1st question

I'm about to acquire a Tikka T3 Lite, in 6.5 x 55, with a Wildcat mod for deer stalking, and was wondering if any other shooters of that calibre could recommend a cleaning kit. I have looked at Hoppes but they don't seem to have a calibre specific kit for sale. Any thoughts please?

2nd question

I intend to zero at 200 yds using a 140 gr, ballistic tip round. However, the recent ACPO decision to allow the taking of foxes with larger calibre weapons, (FAC already has approval on it), means a 140 gr round would go through and beyond. Notwithstanding ensuring your backstop, I'm looking for a lighter round, but the lightest I have found in this country is a 100 gr round. However, I see that there are 85 gr rounds (made by Sierra I think) available in the USA. At last, the question...does anyone know if they, or a similar round are available in this counrty please?

Thanks in anticipation.

I have a R93 in 6.5 x 55 and shoot 120 gr Nosler ballistic (homeloaded) my friend has the same calibre and shoots 129 Hornaday SST (homeloaded also)- He uses it both for deer and foxes whilst I use a 22.250 for fox, but have shot many foxes with the 6.5 out to 250 yards. Both of the above bullets inflict severe damage on a fox and hit in the engine room drop on the spot.

The 6.5 really works better with the heavier bullets because of the twist rate in the barrels. My 6.5 is zeroed at 120 yards and just needs 4 clicks of elevation to be spot on at 200 yards. Most people on this forum with centre fire rifles would probably agree that their foxes are shot at an average distance of say 140 yards - so what is the point of using a lighter bullet in a calibre that performs best with heavier bullets? I think the fact that you are having trouble finding lighter bullets proves my point

Cleaning is such an important part of keeping your rifle accurate and prolonging its barrel life. Forget boresnakes and get yourself a Dewry rod, spear tip jag + bag of cleaning patches, phosphor bronze brush for the bore and a phosphor chamber brush. Also a pot of J B Compound to clean the bore every 100 rounds or so - this will also remove the carbon ring that forms in the throat of the barrel which most cleaners are unable to remove.

There are many cleaning solvents out there and no body is wrong in their choice, I personally use MC7 as this one is very popular with bench rest shooters, who lets face it are the anoraks of gun cleaning.

My 6.5 will group sub 1/2 at 100 yds and I put this down equally to two reasons - the right bullet and my cleaning regime.

HTH

Peter

Hi there.

1st question

2nd question

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Mil Dot - You've asked these questions at a great time - thanks!. My 6.5 x 55 Tikka T3 Lite is currently being threaded for my T8 as for some weird reason the factory don't/can't thread left handed ones!?! Even GMK (the distributors) can't explain why. Due to be proofed next Tuesday so I should hopefully have it by the end of next week. I look forward to reading the answers to your questions...

S

I have a DAC cleaning Kit which covers all of the Shotgun and Rifle bore sizes, 67 pieces from memory. Good Value I thought.

I use Forest Bore Foam in my centrefire to remove copper residue and other fouling.

If you find two rounds that your rifle will shoot well with, stick to them. This could be in the form of one lighter and one heavier bullet, preferably with the same Zero. But the chances are the time you have your 6.5 with you, you will be Deer stalking with heavier bullets and a fox will show, and duly be shot with the heavier bullet. A 6.5 is going to have so much energy compared to a .22 Centrefire (which drop foxes on the spot normally), that any bullet you hit a fox with, no matter the grain, is going to kill him.

As for a lighter bullet so that it does not exit. A Shot should NEVER be taken without a backstop, who knows what is on the brow of the next hill, a Rambler, Dog Walker, Sheep, Cattle.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

Mildot the Sierra 85g HP heads are available in this country for the 6.5 so just ask at your gun shop and they should deliver..

I used this projectile soley on foxes for 3 years only because they were cheap and accurate. Loaded with 46.6g of vhit N150 they`d put 3 holes touching out of the Sauer i had at the time.

jockfox.jpg

Edited by vim

I have a R93 in 6.5 x 55 and shoot 120 gr Nosler ballistic (homeloaded) my friend has the same calibre and shoots 129 Hornaday SST (homeloaded also)- He uses it both for deer and foxes whilst I use a 22.250 for fox, but have shot many foxes with the 6.5 out to 250 yards. Both of the above bullets inflict severe damage on a fox and hit in the engine room drop on the spot.

The 6.5 really works better with the heavier bullets because of the twist rate in the barrels. My 6.5 is zeroed at 120 yards and just needs 4 clicks of elevation to be spot on at 200 yards. Most people on this forum with centre fire rifles would probably agree that their foxes are shot at an average distance of say 140 yards - so what is the point of using a lighter bullet in a calibre that performs best with heavier bullets? I think the fact that you are having trouble finding lighter bullets proves my point

Cleaning is such an important part of keeping your rifle accurate and prolonging its barrel life. Forget boresnakes and get yourself a Dewry rod, spear tip jag + bag of cleaning patches, phosphor bronze brush for the bore and a phosphor chamber brush. Also a pot of J B Compound to clean the bore every 100 rounds or so - this will also remove the carbon ring that forms in the throat of the barrel which most cleaners are unable to remove.

There are many cleaning solvents out there and no body is wrong in their choice, I personally use MC7 as this one is very popular with bench rest shooters, who lets face it are the anoraks of gun cleaning.

My 6.5 will group sub 1/2 at 100 yds and I put this down equally to two reasons - the right bullet and my cleaning regime.

HTH

Peter

Peter

Thanks very much for taking the time to compose such a comprehensive reply.

I haven't had the opportunity to take up home loading yet, but will look at the possibility in a while. However, the main use for the 6.5 is for deer and only the occasional passing fox, so it looks like choosing a single round may be the solution. It would also mean only having one ballistic table for the weapon.

I am perhaps a bit obsessive regarding the cleaning of my other weapons so your advice on this matter is most welcome, but I find wearing an anorak whilst cleaning a little warm :)

Thanks again and happy hunting.

Andy

Hi Mil Dot - You've asked these questions at a great time - thanks!. My 6.5 x 55 Tikka T3 Lite is currently being threaded for my T8 as for some weird reason the factory don't/can't thread left handed ones!?! Even GMK (the distributors) can't explain why. Due to be proofed next Tuesday so I should hopefully have it by the end of next week. I look forward to reading the answers to your questions...

S

Snapper5

Hi there. I hope the T3 & T8 combo work well for you for many years. Seems strange though that they don't thread left-handers as a matter of course.

All the best.

A

I use the same cleaning rod from a .22 to a 308. Just alter the amount of oiled kitchen roll wrapped around a .22 phospher bronze. You want to choose one bullet/load and use it for everything.

Thanks for the advice short shot. BTW, I like the ballistics reference in your ID name.

A