The art of back filling

if the tube is larger than the volume of Earth removed to back fill with, then it will be nighe on impossible to back fill to any 'safe' standard, safe as in, some one could walk over it and not fall through.

What I meant by this is, if you have dug say 12" and the tube is deaper than that depth and cannot be made to support any weight, then I cave it in.

In my opinion,repairing at this shallow depth all you make is something more ready to cave in than the rest of the spot.

From the pictures above, it reminds me of a 'hollow' place I work, tubes running inches below the surface and naturally collapsing over time.

Don't know if that makes sense now :blink:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sometimes i wonder whether some fellas have ever back filled in reality.NORMALLY WHEN YOU BREAK THROUGH YOUR IN THE STOP ENDSO WHEN YOU BACKFILL YOUR JUST SHORTENING THE TUBE,DOESN T MATTER HOW DEEP IT IS YOU HAVE TO PUT IN MORE THAN YOU TAKE OUT.SO WHEN YOUR PUTTING LOOSE STUFF BACK IN COMPACT IT AS A FALL OF RAIN WILL SINK IT.WE NEVER TAKE OFF THE SPOIL HEAP AT MOUTH AS ITS PART OF THE HOLE ENTRANCE IMO.

DEVS PHOTOS ARE SPOT ON.READ SOMEWHERE ELSE WHERE ONE LAD SAID NEVER PUT IN MORE THAN YOU TAKE OUT :hmm::no:

WHETHER YOUR IN THE POT OR MID TUBE THE VOLUMN OF THE TUBE BELOW THE DIG HAS TO BE FILLED IN WITH SAUDS.WHINS DON T WORK :o

Guest silenthunter
fook sake its arse holes like that bring heat on everyone.Itc common sense to backfill properly its not rocket science

im with you on this one scent how fuking hard is it to backfill a hole silenthunter.....

Guest Leveller

Had a do today on a shoot only a small place I broke through at about 3 foot dog out, shot the fox and started back filling and other lads were walking off and going to catch up with hounds because "it was the last time we were hunting this ground so there's no need to bother backfilling" :wallbash: well I'm sorry I stayed and Reload stayed by my side and helped it doesn't matter if we never go back there that's not why you do it is it?

Guest Leveller
levs did you use the tracker and ortovox ,if so how u get on .was u smack on the dog

No I didn't there was other lads there to start with and they had a Deben jobbie but the Orto is proving itself so far so good

Dev, thats how it should be....nice backfills.matey

Rumour has it you've done more than your fair share of back-filling over the years J Darcy ;) and that youv'e also been on the recieving end more than a few times as well :yes:

YIS Gary

Im afraid i can neither deny or admit such allegation..... :clapper: