General Question

Guest Born-and-Bread-to-Hunt

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldnt it be boring if we all thought the same eh ;) Lord Orford, was the fella, thats where the brindle comes from. Like someone else said though, there are exceptions, the last two waterloo,s i remember seeing several dogs that went up , down , backwards , forwards, and ended up taking the hare back to the beaters, infact, if i remember right, one was still coursing when the next pair were slipped, but they were the exceptions to the rule. Greyhounds are the animal for formal coursing for sport, lurchers are the animal to kill the hare, and put it in the bag.

hey foxy its time to stand up and say or shout IAM WRONG .But hey u tried and we give u 10 out of 10 for that :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :clapping: :clapping:

Mark-I WAS WRONG.It seems I have been brainwashed by the coursing around me.No excuse I know but there it is.I would like to thank you all for putting me straight.All apart from countryman who pissed me off at the start of the thread.Going back to the night in question ,I quess the greyhound was fit and the lurchers were not.Some of the greyhound boys will have heard of the coursing gent I refer to but name dropping is not my thing.I apologies for any aggressive language or name calling.

Foxdropper-

I feel all left out :(

No hard feelings, you can buy me a pint sometime :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest midnight_runner

IN my experiance neither the whippet are the greyhound have the stamina for a good nights lamping.If its rabbits your after havig colliex bedlingtonx are proberly the better 2

Why do you think pure greyhounds are used for coursing hares .The most stamina sapping animal ever born.

A fit greyhound will be running long after your lurchers have decided enoughs ,enough.Dont forget that the reason we cross sighthounds with other breeds is for trainability [brains if you like],and not to improve stamina.

can any one smell anything ; smells like shit to me :yes:

fast and slow twitch fibres: if a dog is born with lots of fast twitch through selective breeding as a greyhound or whippet should be than they use anorobic metabolism, without O2, which means that they produce waste products, such as lactic acid, faster than they can clear them from the muscles but for a short while they are quick. if they have a lot of slow twitch ie a collie then they use aorobic metabolism, with O2, produce less waste products and so can keep the muscles clear and working. a good lamping dog needs a proportion of both for a long nights lamping. the proportion would need to suit recovery periods between slips, the longer the period, the longer the time for waste clearance so the better for a whippet and visa versa.

it all goes back to horses for courses.

foxdropper have you been on the sauce..what a noncence you speak sometimes this is one of the best ones ive heard on this site :haha: .... to creat a lurcher you breed it with the sight hound to give it speed (apart from the saluki x)the other breed of dog be it bull ,collie ,bedlington these are added to give the lurcher the attributes the pure greyhound lacks & one of them is stamina have you ever seen pure greyhounds coursing after a few turns they are spent where as a good coursing lurcher might not have the speed but will still be coursing the hare way after the greyhound is done ......themore experianced coursing lads will be able to tell you what the average time for a greyhound course is & if you compare it to the salukis which is one of the best dogs for stamina there will be no comparison .

how can you say that greyhounds bring stamina to a lurcher why are we not all out lampin rabbits with greyhounds then ?

you are right about they just x greyhounds with Bedlington and other dogs for speed .

• 4 years later...

I HAVE OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIANCE WITH LURCHERS AND THE BEST LAMPING DOG I HAD WAS A LITTLE BEDLINGTON WHIPPET 1ST CROSS VERY QUICK AND NIMBLE GOOD CATCH DOG.ALSO HAD A 3/4 GREYHOUND 1/4 COLLIE WAS GOOD ALLROUND DOG .BUT MY MATE HAD A DEERHOUND GREYHOUND X SULUKI WHIPPET BEST DOG I EVER SEEN ON RABBIT IN MY LIFE OUT STANDING IT WAS SERIOUSLY THE BUISNESS.NEVER GOT TO SEE THE DOG WORK AFTER 18 MONTHS DOG BROKE ITS NECK SADLY .I THINK THAT DOG WAS A 1 OFF IT WAS ELECTRIC. AS THE BOYS SAID IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE TERRAIN YOUR DOING THE WHIPPET BREAK TOES EASILY TO BLOODY EASILY.IF IT WAS ROUGH TERRAIN NEED TO BE SOMETHING WITH GOOD FEET BEARDED COLLIE GREYHOUND ECT BUT HEY ONLY MY OPINION MATE GOOD LUCK.