General Question

Guest Born-and-Bread-to-Hunt

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LAMPING RABBITS

you dont really need a big dog for this, something like a whippet greyhound, or a bedlington whippet. id say there two of the best but it all depends on what type of dog you like e.g. long or short coated. most lurchers are ok for rabbits but i feel there are the best, because some of the others are too big. :good::):good:

What in your mind is the best breed of dog for lamping :)

after experiencing running both types of dog on the lamp i would have to say between the two the pure whippet would obviously pick the rabbits up quicker than a bed/whippet but its like what one of the lads said i suppose it depends on the terrain aswell and a bed/whippet can take a few more knocks than a pure whippet,im not saying that the bed/whippet is the best for lamping rabbit but it is a very nimble and versatile cross.

ive been out with a fair few beddywhippets and the odd whippet all belonging to other folk

althought in mind there second to none as a ferreters dog,on the lamp ive seen nothing from them that would make me consider one even if only for rabbits.

easily unsighted on the lamp for me,i like a dog with feet that you could slip on almost any ground.

and id question wether there up for a long hard nights work even if only for rabbits.

im not a fan of collie greyhounds but for lamping rabbits theyve got to be hard to beat..

not many whippets or whipp/bed, are going to compete with a good lamp dog, remmember minshaws old lamp dogs all big dogs 25" pluss, but im talking about taking big scores, if your happy to go and knock off half a dozen then get a whippet, like max said its what makes you happy that counts :)

not many whippets or whipp/bed, are going to compete with a good lamp dog, remmember minshaws old lamp dogs all big dogs 25" pluss, but im talking about taking big scores, if your happy to go and knock off half a dozen then get a whippet, like max said its what makes you happy that counts :)

I dont beleive that a pure whippet has the stamina to be an out and out lamp dog

Where are the fans of the out of fashion colliex a fine dog for the lamp, as many others must be able to confirm :ph34r:

I dont beleive that a pure whippet has the stamina to be an out and out lamp dog

Where are the fans of the out of fashion colliex a fine dog for the lamp, as many others must be able to confirm :ph34r:

Whippets -no stamina-Where do you think stamina comes from in a lurcher ,from the sighthound.All stamina is from this side of the cross.The bullX being the exception.Both whippet and greyhound have bull in thier make up.

countryman...heres an old pic of my two half x collie/greyhounds pic taken from the 80s

onceagain014.jpg

[/quotSUPERB, nothing like them in my opinion.

Why are they now being overlooked?

Whippets -no stamina-Where do you think stamina comes from in a lurcher ,from the sighthound.All stamina is from this side of the cross.The bullX being the exception.Both whippet and greyhound have bull in thier make up.

Greyhounds have bull in their make up? Ha ha ha very good, do you have a pedigree or are you just talking shite?

I did not question the stamina of the Greyhound Its the whippets stamina that i question, due to its stature.