A Great Morning Out !!

I thought i share my mornings experiences of a great day out with the dogs. There always seems to be one day in a season that sticks in the mind and today (even though we've caught more on other days) will take some beating.

We went out this morning with the usual team (my two Saluki lurcher bitches and my mates 3/4 Saluki, 1/4 Greyhound and Saluki Lurcher dog) on some land that holds a large amount of our desired quarry. But the amount we saw today took some believing. The morning started well with my mate getting a good long run with his young Saluki lurcher, but the trouble was as he came back more Big Rabbits were jumping in front of him. After this his other dog had another marathon run which seemed to last for ever, but was probably around the 3/4 min mark.

My first run came and my brown bitch had her chance and after a longish run she lost her quarry in a large wood. This bitch has had a pretty hard season of running and has improved a lot through the experience.

Then it was my white bitches turn. In no way am i trying to BRAG up our dogs but credit is given were credit is due. In her first season she killed 4 out of 5 and now at age 4 she is still running really well for me. I slipped her at a distance of around 50 yards and she ran her quarry for about 2 mins before pulling it down, at the side of the farm :ph34r:, as she was coming back she put another one up running this for about another 2 mins before losing it in another wood and just to finish things when coming back again she put up another and ran this, even though she was obviouslly tired and was sometimes a good 10 yards behind she carried on and grabbed it only to tumble, let it go and it jump into pipe. I was really happy with her performance and this all added to a great morning. :D:D

Our total bag was three (all BUCKS) two with my dogs and my mates dogs doubled up and got one.

As i say this isn't written to brag up our dogs as there will be dogs with as much abillity throughout the Country. And the enjoyment that these dogs give is what keeps us going hunting week after week throughout the season.

All the best and enjoy whats left of the Season. Tommy. ;)

Sounds like a good morning [bANNED TEXT], as far as Bragging ur dogs up, you were there you seen what they done and ur just sharing that experience with us :good::good: Cant fault you [bANNED TEXT] :good:

SOUNDS LIKE SOME GREAT HUNTING COUNTRY. In my neck of the woods we can only dream of such sport, all the rabbits are much slower down here :D

I have a saluki lurcher bitch about 3/8 5/8. In the past i have always had collie based dogs which have been working rabbits comfortably at around 10 months old, she is this age now but seems to puppy like although keen enough on the odd daytime stroll! I have been told that dogs carrying saluki blood can take much longer to mature, i would be glad of your oppinion.

R 8 Countryman !!!

My experiences with Saluki crosses have been that most are pretty early starters, but this trend was changed with my mates present dog as he didn't start to shape up until he was a good 18 months. My own bitches were running rabbits at 10 months and i started running them on the Big Rabbits just before they were 12 months. I went out with a bloke two seasons back and he had a pair of 8 months old pups that he was just slipping in late to give them some education, it seemed to work as they made a pair of decent dogs. I suppose as it's been said many times before it depends on the individual dog.

All the best, Tommy ;)

Guest markbrick1

Sounds like a good morning [bANNED TEXT], as far as Bragging ur dogs up, you were there you seen what they done and ur just sharing that experience with us :good::good: Cant fault you [bANNED TEXT] :good:

SOUNDS LIKE SOME GREAT HUNTING COUNTRY. In my neck of the woods we can only dream of such sport, all the rabbits are much slower down here :D

I have a saluki lurcher bitch about 3/8 5/8. In the past i have always had collie based dogs which have been working rabbits comfortably at around 10 months old, she is this age now but seems to puppy like although keen enough on the odd daytime stroll! I have been told that dogs carrying saluki blood can take much longer to mature, i would be glad of your oppinion.

yea i to live in cornwall and miss them long hears as i come from chorley and there was more of them then rabbits and still is in certain places but plenty of bunies ere

yea i to live in cornwall and miss them long hears as i come from chorley and there was more of them then rabbits and still is in certain places but plenty of bunies ere

What part of Cornwall you from then mate?