WHAT A DOG DAY AFTERNOON

so, having 2 jack russells and a smoker, but no ratting permission, I thought the permission I have to shoot, a goat farm, might have some rats under the manure pile, so loading the dogs and smoker into the jeep, me and the missus went looking for rats, we arrived and straight away met the farmer, an italian guy that talks ok english, who tells us, no rats, he has 7 cats that arnt fed, hence rat population nil :angry:

so we all start wandering around chatting, "smart" the bitch at our heels, but "jack" the dog on a lead, as we have only had him 4 months or so, and was'ent sure that he was ok around livestock, on getting over to the chicken run, I asked salvedori if there were any sheep/goats on the adjoining field, as I wanted the dogs to have a run, plus its long grass so thought they may flush a few rabbits, no was his answer, its ok, just as I had slipped the lead on jacks collar, I noticed the ELECTRIC FENCE, this has never been on, in all the years Ive been there, asking him quickly, he smiled and nodded yes, ITS ON :(

just as jack tried jumping through it, he let out a yelp and flew into the field at full speed, followed by smart, who had the brains to jump it, he then turned back towards us, and rather than stop or jump, he piled through the fence like a bulldozer, taking it with him, and of course recieving a bigger,longer shock, and again, at full speed ran off, but he wer'nt stopping, at the boundary fence, he went straight under, using a rabbit scrape and into the moaney gitz land next door, and carried on running, we searched for an hour, as luckerly a foot path runs through this guys land, but all the time, expecting to meet the old git with a "get orf my land" voice, just as we had thought we had lost him for good, out of the trees he appeared, still very shaken, as glad as we were to get him back, and sorry for his "shock" I still cant stop smiling went I think of his antics :icon_redface:

Stubby mate glad to see you're keeping it real......."honeymoon for the wife out with the dogs trying to smash a few rats" She's a good game girl that one, next time you're up at her folks place you'll have to do the extra few miles upto ours and have a do out ferreting mate......... :thumbs:

To be honest it sounds like a great way to spend a day ... sure I like a nice meal or a special night out but I'd be just as happy in my wellies out looking for something the dogs can get :D

Glad your dog is ok Stubby. Those fences scare the life out of me.

it keeps reminding me of a clip I saw or story I heard, but cant remember where, about two blokes that had ferreted an allotment, that had electrified fence around it, plus signage, but it was TURNED OFF, as they carried the gear away at the end of the day, the guy in front had a stone in his wellie, so grabbed hold of the fence and started shaking his foot to get the wellie off, his mate following behind, saw the signs and though his mate was getting electrocuted, so hit him hard across the arm to get him off the fence, breaking his arm :clapper: