from meat to dry

when he gets hungry he will eat

my ferret used to just eat meat but i wanted to start feeding dry food.he didnt eat it at first but once he got hungry he ate the dry food and now thats all he gets.

can i ask why you ditched feeding meat?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my ferret used to just eat meat but i wanted to start feeding dry food.he didnt eat it at first but once he got hungry he ate the dry food and now thats all he gets.

its easier for me to just give them dry food. also there sh*t doesnt smell as much and is harder which makes them easier to clean out.

its easier for me to just give them dry food. also there sh*t doesnt smell as much and is harder which makes them easier to clean out.

Who said keeping ferrets was easy?.If you cant get fresh meat i can see the use for dry.I have dry available all the time but they get rabbit or chicken everyday.If you can i would give them meat mate it brings out the best in your team.

BUY A BAG OF DRY FERRET FOOD AND LEAVE IT IN TIL HE EATS IT HE WILL. THERES NO WAY IT WILL STARVE ITSELF. ITS A FERRET NOT A PERSON. LET HIM GO WITHOUT FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES HE WILL EAT THE DRY FERETT FOOD. I FEED MINE MEAT MOST OF THE WINTER AND DRY IN THE SUMMER.

i dont suppose that Will wants to starve his ferret in order to get him to eat a bit of dry for a holiday! why stress the ferret .. when it's his responsibility to care for his ferrets in the best possible way! i've seen a ferret lose .5kg because it refused to eat what was given ... Yeah in the end it DID eat.. to the detriment of its health!

but this kit is only 14 weeks old... it needs to be eating to grow into a healthy team member this winter! not starving for a few days for the simple lack of some patience and perseverance...

Just because a solution is the easiest... doesn't mean its the only ... or the best...

Guest bigredbusa

to be fair if i could be bothered to get down the shop i would have mine on dry in this weather but im just lobbing in a rabbit everynight and this will do for four ferts .

Im going to mix dry and cat food and feed to them for a little bit to determine that he is eating it. I am away for 2 weeks and although I feed him meat everyday it is a big ask for someone else to do it while I am away. He is a little fat bugger at the moment anyway so a couple weeks on tinned may do some good. lmao

been away in spain twice this summer, mother in law looked after dogs , and 13 ferts, i never have fed dry ,

big court with 4 jills , big hutch with 2 hobs, and a hutch with mother and babys, freezer has all the ferret food, in seperate bags for each hutch , easy peasy .

evry morning mother in law gets a bag out the freezer, leave to defrost , feed last thing at night, simple.

Mine get JWB complete ferret in the summer and a mixture of dry and raw in the winter,reason's are simple when they carry raw meat into there bedding in summer there attracting flys and allsorts which is less of a problem in winter,also because i dont shoot or work the dogs in summer i have very little access to fresh rabbit unless a mate drops a few in.My reasons have nothing to do with laziness or lack of concern for my ferrets welfare,its purely down to what i feel is best for them at the time.My dogs are fed a completely raw diet and never see any kibble or tinned food,so feeding the ferrets raw as well would be no extra work.

P.S as already mentioned if feeding dry they MUST have access to clean fresh water at all times,i use three large rabbit bottles ust to be sure.

thanks everyone. I tried him on canned and kibble yesterday and it went down a treat. So i will feed meat until a couple of days before I go and then leave them on canned and kibble. I have found that i didnt need much canned food to make him it the dry

Im getting married this afternoon, and as no one to look after 25 plus ferts/chickens/duck/rabbit and dogs, means we aint having a honeymoon,

although she did say I could go shooting tonight :whistling:

Lol Congrats Stubby...

sounds like a good Mrs you got ... lettin ya go shootin on your wedding night!!

and hey .. thats what having animals is about... you have to take responsibility.. sometimes it isn't always convienient...

thanks everyone. I tried him on canned and kibble yesterday and it went down a treat. So i will feed meat until a couple of days before I go and then leave them on canned and kibble. I have found that i didnt need much canned food to make him it the dry

yeah i think its more the smell lol.. its horribly smelly stuff...