from meat to dry

whats the problem with people on here? i feed mine on dry cat food everyday!!! with the odd tin of cat food now and then and rabbit and the odd carrot here and there! but mainly they get dry cat food which is as good as your ferret needs it has all the stuff needed for your ferret to live a long healthy life so to all you who stick your nose up at the dry food i say open your eyes :wallbash:

not so much as whats wrong with people on here, but whats wrong with you, I could understand if dry ferret food was not made, but it is, by many suppliers, so the only reason I can see of feeding cat instead of ferret biscuit, is price :doh:

cant say anymore, Ive got to get some fish food for my budgie :laugh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the problem with people on here? i feed mine on dry cat food everyday!!! with the odd tin of cat food now and then and rabbit and the odd carrot here and there! but mainly they get dry cat food which is as good as your ferret needs it has all the stuff needed for your ferret to live a long healthy life so to all you who stick your nose up at the dry food i say open your eyes :wallbash:

not so much as whats wrong with people on here, but whats wrong with you, I could understand if dry ferret food was not made, but it is, by many suppliers, so the only reason I can see of feeding cat instead of ferret biscuit, is price :doh:

Thats what i dont understand even the cheapo cat biscuits are nearly the same price as the pets at home own brand ferret food , so i cant really understand why anyone would opt for a bag of tescos own cat bisuits for example rather than a bag off ferret food if they want to feed the dry stuff

Thats what i dont understand even the cheapo cat biscuits are nearly the same price as the pets at home own brand ferret food , so i cant really understand why anyone would opt for a bag of tescos own cat bisuits for example rather than a bag off ferret food if they want to feed the dry stuff

Kay dont try to understand it,you will give yourself a migrane :icon_eek:

Guest on the hill

If you using cheapo cat biscuits the ferrets not getting any animal based protein , as it contains vegetable protein (soya) so if thats the ferrets staple diet then no its not getting all it needs, its cat food not ferret food

lmao what about all the fresh rabbit venicen fish n stuff there getting and who said that all cat food is cheep.......not me anyway

If you using cheapo cat biscuits the ferrets not getting any animal based protein , as it contains vegetable protein (soya) so if thats the ferrets staple diet then no its not getting all it needs, its cat food not ferret food

lmao what about all the fresh rabbit venicen fish n stuff there getting and who said that all cat food is cheep.......not me anyway

so if the cat biscuit you buy is not cheap, still the question would be, why not use ferret dry,

even as a supplement to, rabbit,fish and VENISON, surely ferret dry thats been made for ferrets, is better than cat dry thats been made for :hmm: cats

The point i was making was if you feed dry food as the ferrets staple diet ie feed nthing other than dry then use ferret food, not cat food.

If your spending little more than a quid for a box off cat bisuits from Aldi or tesco then its going to contain soya protein, soyas vegetable , if the animals deprived of meat protein then it allows the urine to become to alkerline this means theres a higher risk of struvite crystals forming & then they can & do turn to stones which need surgical removal .

meat protein helps keep the urine ascidic stopping the formation of crystals , simple realy

What about your freind soaking the dry grub in gravy does that help ?? Or if your friends squeamish about feeding dead things will cans of cat food not cover the time your away ???

will tin cat food be ok? if it is then I will but only if im sure it will be ok for them

Hi Will..

how long are you gonna be away?

i shouldn't think a week or so on tinned would hurt him too much.. you might try mixing it with some kibble now to be sure he's eating it before you depend on it while you're away and unable to adivse your friend.

i got a jill this spring who wouldn't eat ANYTHING for a week unless i mixed tinned into it ... Whiska's supermeat in a can ... it smells absolutely revolting and well down my list of appropriate things to feed my ferret.. but apparently it was used "now and then" mixed with kibble before i got her... but she wolfed it down... i was VERY VERY happy when she decided that rabbit was ok to eat NOT smothered in the gunk!

cull em all i say

Give em James Well-Beloved ferret food. Available from all but the crappiest pet shops.

Any ferret will eat it when hungry and is designed for a ferrets dietary needs. Only down side is that they produce more, and brown, soft shite than the black oily stuff they do when fed on fresh food. I've been feeding mine fresh mackerel for the last 2 days and they've only shat half as much!

Cheers, D.

Dont quote me on this but i seem to remember dry ferret grub has a higher protein count than cat feed and ferret food has a 3% ash content :icon_eek: .I think the big differnce is the amount of time ferrets compared to cats take to digest food