22.250 any info

hi guys ive just recently got my f.a.c and ive bought a tikka t3 light .223 and its fitted with a bushnell 6-18 x50 dusk and dawn scope and a harris tilting bipod, and i think its the dogs bollox, its like a drug i just cant put it down, since xmas ive bagged 3 foxes 147yds/190yds and 269yds so im well pleased with it but am i right in thinking the 22-250 is in a different league to the .223 in the sense that its better and more powerful,

as i said im new to all this and if you dont ask you dont find out.. respect to all you shooters on here.. cheers hairyface

Some one told me that the 22-250 was like a 308 case necked down to 22 . when you look at it , its not far of it. the 308 case is 51. mm long and about nearly 12.mm in die . The 22-250 case is about 49. mm long and about 11.5 mm in die so it certanly holds a lot of powder and makes a big noise. I use a sako 222 for foxes and some times roe with a swarovski 8x56 scope and it serves me well . The 223 is also a good caliber it has a larger powder capacity than the 222 and it was used and still is by the military i think. I don,t go for distances i just shoot the *uckers :D:p:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Rudolf, the 22-250 is based on the old savage 250 case i believe, and necked down for the 22 bullet, but as you say its not a lot different to a .308.Once you start to reload and generally take an interest in cartridges, you begin to see, that there aint a lot new under the sun, and a cartridge is usually adapted from another older one. Take the .204 ruger for example, its based on the old .222 magnum case, which is all but obsolete, i know of one customer who has one, even the yanks hardly use it, because its almost identical to the .223, which as we know is a modern cartridge, and the british army calibre in use today [sa80] The 223 will in time be supersceded in the military, the yanks are already using the 6.8spc [special purpose cartridge]it looks like a .223 case with a 6.8 bullet, devised mainly to buck the wind better, and give better terminal performance at 500 yards , the fuzzy wuzzies are still getting up when whacked with a 223 at this range. :D

the 17hmr, is a FUN gun...but there is NO way i would call it a coyote gun...ive taken gray fox with it, good broadside shots and have had to look for them!...they are a praire dog, rabbit busting barrel of fun...but tat it IMO...

I know a guy who shot a yote square in the head at 80 yards with the 17hmr...the coyote ran off, and he chased it down with the shot gun...after dispatching the coyote, he looked at the back of the head, and it was just a realt savage flesh wound...poor thing...he sold that gun.

I have done a TON of shooting with the Rem 700 in .22-250...it blows the shit out of anything it hits thats for sure!...i prefer the .204 though...although you have to be more accurate with the .204, its a more friendly gun to shoot imo...

Kye,..

• 2 years later...

22.250 is a great varmint calibre.

I have a gunsmith friend who built his own rifle and its great for long range stuff.

He has now produced his own 22.4000 which I have yet to see.

Think its 303 necked down to .22 with 4000fps mv?

His recomendation for a first 'off the shelf varmint rifle' is always the remmy 700 in .223

22-250 is a good calibre, should the situation arise. But.... since you plan to get 243 later anyway, I would get a 223 now. Simple reasons:

1. 223 is far cheaper than 22-250.

2. It's nearly as good, will happily knock over foxy at 300 yards.

3. Also does the job on a roe deer north of the border.

Your 243 will be too close to 22-250 as a fox round, and the 243 is better. As a pure deer rifle, I wouldn't get 243 when other calibres are available. Therefore, 243 as a combination fox/deer rifle makes great sense, ably assisted by 223 for cheap foxing (and it's cheap enough you can bash bunnies with it, given the appropriate ammo).

That was the decision I made, and I haven't seen the logic bettered yet. It all hinges on the addition of 243 later (which I don't see being a problem, I had the same process - start with 22CF and then get something bigger).

Good advice Logic 223 is a cheaper load and is very effective!

Step up to the 22.250 at a later stage perhaps?

Logic you seen a 22-4000?

nope, although tbh my 243 does 3900fps so I'd rather use that I think. Does it offer any advantage except the speed?

Not sure about advantage its something a mate has built.

His last build was the 22.250 and he is bound to have something to say about it.

He was responsible for the introduction of the 22.250 to UK years ago.

Will ask at the weekend.

From what I can find out about the .22-4000, it is as you say a .224 bullet in a necked down .303 case with 4000 fps MV.

It is also known as the .22 Rocket or .22-303 and is a wildcat. It has a slightly smaller case capacity than the .22-250.

It is also sometimes has the suffix of .22-4000 Sedgley.

Thats all I can find out so far.

Regards

SS