Which 223 to buy?

hi tom

i got a CZ varmint a few months ago through edgar bros. i got it screw cut and it was about £500. i think it would be about £60 less if not screw cut. it comes with a 5 round clip which works really nicely. it has dove tail rails to recieve scope mounts but NO open sights.

i was told to spend as much as i could afford on the scope so i went for a scmidt- bender 8x56. this was £430. the scope is mounted with tikka mounts and rings, about £50.

i really like the rifle and now like the scope, but didnt at first but this was down to my error(was trying to zero far too far) i think the clearness is amazing when looking at the target. most of my shooting is around 100-150 yds so the 8x mag is good for me.

my mate got a 223 at the same time a remington stainless steel barrel and a plastic stock he likes it and its nice to shoot i think it was around £500 he has a Simmons whitetail classic scope variable mag it cost £100.

my other mate has been shooting 223 for a lot longer and he has a tikka and says his is the best!

good luck

tone

Hi, after a bit of advice, got a 17hmr at the mo, but want to upgrade to a 223. I already have 223 on my ticket.

Dont want to spend a fortune! What scope would you reccomend to go with it?

Cheers

Tom

AR 15 with 12x scope but makes sure its a actual armalite not a knock off.

if i was after 223 then i would look at a tikka t3 or remmington sps seen both rifles both accurate as you like

loads of aftermarket parts for the remmy to tiggers,stocks, so and so on .

or howa package would be good :gunsmilie:

Silly question which I'm surprised nobody has asked you yet... what are you shooting with the 223?

BTW it's not an 'upgrade' - they are different tools for different jobs. I have plenty of times when the 223 is too much gun and if I was stuck with it I would have hardly any safe shots. HMR is a useful tool because it's relatively flat and packs enough punch to get the job done. BUT it breaks up on anything so it's great for relatively urban use.

223 is much more powerful and will go much further, as well as being considerably louder. So ... keep the HMR AND get 223 :-)

Recommendations will be different for given uses, so I wait to hear :)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

It's pricey, so maybe not what ye have in mind but; I recently handled a Browning 'A Bolt' in .223. Black synthetic furniture with a feel to die for. Ready threaded. Gorgeous magazine action. Perfect safety catch. Light as a feather. I couldn't fault it!

When I started licking it though, they had to drag me away from it! :icon_eek:

OK, what's your HMR?

For light 223 for field foxing use, there are a great many contenders. The main ones, summarised:

CZ 527 American - Good rifle, recently introduced synthetic version. Somewhat old technology but generally very accurate. Detachable magazine and would fit the bill nicely, although I always seem to dismiss them for some reason... Can be ordered ready screwcut in 1/2" UNF

Browning A Bolt - Good rifle, sensible price (Ditch, I dunno how much that one was you saw, I found em for 500 squid not so long ago which was about right next to the others). Haven't shot one but they seemed decent to handle.

Tikka T3 - Excellent rifle, though cheaply made. Very accurate, reliable action, detachable magazine. Only problem is the price, GMK are taking the piss with these now, looking at £650+ which is very expensive for a £1.50 plastic stock or maybe 10 quid's worth of wood, and an accurate but basic action.

Remington 700 - Lots of variants. I have the Tactical which is marginal for field use (I'm OK but with lamping gear too I may struggle). SPS is a good choice, lightweight & reasonably accurate but the barrel's a bit unwieldy at 24 inches. Personal opinion of the Xmark Pro trigger on mine is it's the best trigger on any non-target rifle I've ever used.

RWS Titan - If you can get hold of one they're excellent. My 243 shoots very nicely indeed and hasn't put a foot wrong. Comes cut 1/2" UNF with a thread protector (least mine did) and a great trigger.

Howa - I've only seen one report of a bad one! Mine shoots well but is too heavy for the field. The lighter barrel one with the Hogue stock is very good value indeed, shoots well and is the right sort of weight. I'd have bought one over my SPS tactical except they wouldn't sell it without the moderator and I already had one. Action and magazine much much smoother than a Remington.

Steyr - Didn't like it myself, meant to shoot well but expensive. And their plastic stock is cheap too...

There's Savage and Ruger too, but I know diddly squat about them really.

Any of the ones I've put will do the job. Howa and CZ are the cheapest and probably best value for money. CZ is certainly worth a look if you want a wood stock - their wood is brilliant and they don't take the piss with the price.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
CZ is certainly worth a look if you want a wood stock - their wood is brilliant and they don't take the piss with the price.

Yeppers. But, if ye want Synthetic? The under fore end finish on the CZ is f*cking abysmal! In fact, the whole 'seam' is so raised, rough and horrible it would take sand papering smooth. And where would that end ye; Sand papering brand new, black plastic? :thumbdown:

From what I've read, Mr Logic; The A Bolt is disgustingly accurate. It's Not a cheap rifle (Not many are, time ye pay Our throat cutting b*stards of 'Gun Dealers'. Here they tend to treat guns like cocaine; 'I got it into the country. You want it. So ....?') But the naked model I handled felt So good!

Granted; A Harris and a big enough 'scope would add weight. Not to mention the mod'. But. all things considered? She'd weigh considerably less than my present Pig and certainly feel and shoot better.

For Tom T's benefit; I currently have a NEF HandyRifle in . 22 Hornet. ('Affectionately' known as " The Pig " or " That f*cking thing of mine.") Great enough 'starting centrefire'. But I too am now seeking finesse and perhaps 'shooting as far as the eye can see'. .223 :yes:

I was also very impressed with the A-bolt, had the cut been 1/2" UNF I'd have bought one. They are a Value rifle - relatively inexpensive but well made. If you find one buy one!

Synthetic stuff often has the seam marks - Tikkas & Remingtons do. As do Howas as the Hogue stock is the same as my Remington. They're rubberised though so it's not too bad. I agree it's somewhat annoying though.

Yes mate, very happy indeed. Should have PMed you, thanks for the good advice there. Have found that it occasionally doesn't extract, that's the only real niggle. And it doesn't shoot Wolf at all which is a shame, but it loves Prvi 55gr FMJ, hopefully it will love the softpoint too but I haven't got any yet.

Also likes the 40gr Federal, sub 1/2" at 100 yards so can't argue at all. Trigger is excellent too.

Yes mate, very happy indeed. Should have PMed you, thanks for the good advice there. Have found that it occasionally doesn't extract, that's the only real niggle. And it doesn't shoot Wolf at all which is a shame, but it loves Prvi 55gr FMJ, hopefully it will love the softpoint too but I haven't got any yet.

Also likes the 40gr Federal, sub 1/2" at 100 yards so can't argue at all. Trigger is excellent too.

im glad you liked it its a cracking bit of kit ive not tryed Prvi 55gr FMJ yet ..like you said the Trigger is excellent ive had no trouble with it not extracting

W,D