jock.jpg

This Is the dog that is believed to have been used to introduce colour into Bull Terriers.

The dog was a first cross Bulldog/Manchester Terrier & Bred in 1910 by Jack Higham of lancs.

Just saw It on Staffmans forum and thought I'd post it up here for you Bull Breed fans ;)

Butch

Edited by Little Butch

Good looking dog.I havent seen a manchester terrier for years does anyone work them?

I looked at Mancs years ago as I fancied a little bushing dog and I’ve always like the look of them. I got in touch with a few breed clubs and asked about work. To my surprise they didn’t immediately put the phone down but their idea of work differed from mine. Chasing a squirrel over the rec isn’t my idea of graft. Cupid and I saw one at flyball once (can’t for the life of me remember which game fair it was at? Hopfarm at Paddock Wood maybe?) and it was a little b*****d. It was the most disobedient little shit there by a country mile.

It’s been a long time since the Manc’s vocation went out of the window and they’ve faced some hard times, none more so than the ban on ear cropping. There’s one I see everyday when I go jogging and the old lass was amazed when I knew what it was as most people assume it’s a Dobie pup. Very frail thing it is and has the timidity of a lamb.

I wonder how they’d go at the ratting game these days? Most dogs will take rats so I can’t see why they’d be much different. It would be an interesting, if expensive experiment if anyone did get one for work on top.

Good looking dog.I havent seen a manchester terrier for years does anyone work them?

I looked at Mancs years ago as I fancied a little bushing dog and I’ve always like the look of them. I got in touch with a few breed clubs and asked about work. To my surprise they didn’t immediately put the phone down but their idea of work differed from mine. Chasing a squirrel over the rec isn’t my idea of graft. Cupid and I saw one at flyball once (can’t for the life of me remember which game fair it was at? Hopfarm at Paddock Wood maybe?) and it was a little b*****d. It was the most disobedient little shit there by a country mile.

It’s been a long time since the Manc’s vocation went out of the window and they’ve faced some hard times, none more so than the ban on ear cropping. There’s one I see everyday when I go jogging and the old lass was amazed when I knew what it was as most people assume it’s a Dobie pup. Very frail thing it is and has the timidity of a lamb.

I wonder how they’d go at the ratting game these days? Most dogs will take rats so I can’t see why they’d be much different. It would be an interesting, if expensive experiment if anyone did get one for work on top.

I too fancied one of these terriers.....still do actually. When i started calling people and emailing they were very protective of their breed..... house checks, endorsements, contracts to name a few of their conditions. I understand people looking out for their puppies but it was like being back at school with the teachers. That aside i do think they are a lovely looking dog and would hope one day to own one....not look after it for some over protective breeder !

Interesting post Little Butch, though it says Jack Higham was from Chorley, Lancs...... Thats Markbricks old stomping ground (wonder if he knew him?? :haha: )

Though if I remember the film right, the Stockman picks Jock from a litter in S.A.....??

As for the film, was wondering if anyone had seen both versions??

As I remember back when Sky first came out, watching a S.A. version that was mostley dubbed, it was a very realistic film with the fight scenes and hunting looking much 'stronger'.

I then seen what I thought was this film advertised and bought it, it was a much 'cleaner' Hollywood type film, not a patch on the original.

Has anyone else seen the first??

Interesting post Little Butch, though it says Jack Higham was from Chorley, Lancs...... Thats Markbricks old stomping ground (wonder if he knew him?? :haha: )

Though if I remember the film right, the Stockman picks Jock from a litter in S.A.....??

Bosun, there was two Jocks...that dog of Jack Highams was named after the dog in Fitzpatrick's book, which was written about his dog in the 1880's. It was first published just a few years before that dog above was born so it was name in honour of him. It had nothing to do with Fitzpatricks dog and hence no connection to the book/film.

Bosun, there was two Jocks...that dog of Jack Highams was named after the dog in Fitzpatrick's book, which was written about his dog in the 1880's. It was first published just a few years before that dog above was born so it was name in honour of him. It had nothing to do with Fitzpatricks dog and hence no connection to the book/film.

Cheers Stabs :thumbs: