Any weight lifters or bodybuilders...

it is easy to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time it just takes a little extra time than most people have ....

you need to start by going on a high protein low fat and medium carb diet and stick to it fairly rigidley

secondly when you go to the gym you need to set yourself 2 hours for a training session .... use the first hour for a weight training session concentrating on just one body part ... by the time you have done taht your heart rate should be up in the fat burning zone ... if not then it wont take long to get there .....

after the weight sesh do your cardio whether it be bike or running but do only a fat burning session do not get into the realms of a cardio workout ......

you need to do this 5 times a week and you will notice a good improvement within a month ...........

1 bodypart for an hour 5 times per week plus an hour cardio every session :icon_eek::icon_eek: .....the poor lad will be starting every session exhausted from the day before !....1 hour lifting weights amounts to about 20 sets unless your having 5 minutes rest between sets !......to gain size and strength you will need to be training at a high level of intensity using heavy weight and low reps.......at the beginninners stage " rest " is the key....not more is better......a whole body workout 3 times per week of 3 sets per bodypart is sufficient at this stage.....include a little cardio and you will be in the gym for 1 hour tops 3 times per week.....eat well and rest well and your body will grow.....do this for 6 months and then go onto a split routine by which time you will have made enough gains to concentrate on specific bodyparts and get into isolation as well as compound movements....but for now,basics is best.....and .....if its not nailed down,eat it !

the guy has allready stated that he has trained for a year before stopping so his muscle memory will kick in after the first 2 weeks and he will find it far easyer than a novice that has never lifted a weight before ..... he is only working one body part once a week so nothing to hard there ... the fat burning session is a low intensity workout and doesnt effect cardio so that wont make him tired ... if however he is still feeling a little jaded after the workouts then he can get to bed 2 hours earlyer at night and hey presto ...... more rest ..............

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the guy has allready stated that he has trained for a year before stopping so his muscle memory will kick in after the first 2 weeks and he will find it far easyer than a novice that has never lifted a weight before ..... he is only working one body part once a week so nothing to hard there ... the fat burning session is a low intensity workout and doesnt effect cardio so that wont make him tired ... if however he is still feeling a little jaded after the workouts then he can get to bed 2 hours earlyer at night and hey presto ...... more rest ..............

For maximum gains he still needs to train like a beginner.....not for a year like most should because he has trained before,but definately for 6 months.....1 bodypart for 1 hour will not allow the intensity needed for muscle growth...better to lift with authority for 20 minutes than go through the motions for 1 hour......no point cutting the hours of the day to allow for more rest,he needs to be eating every 3 hours,when you shorten your days to allow more rest you cut the nose off to spite the face.....2 hours per day in the gym is unecessary at his stage and if training natural will not allow full recovery for maximum growth

I used to train with my cousin & his best mate. I was no where near the size of them, as I lacked the commitment, but what we used to do, was work the opposing muscle groups alternatively. So for eg, we'd do chest & triceps one day, then back & biceps the next to give the other group a days recovery. Another way to look at it, is to work the muscles you pull with one day, then the muscles you push with the next. We used to do 3 sets of reps, with 3 different weights, the first set being 30 reps, the second 20, then the last 10. It seemed to work, as my cousin & his mate were monster sized, and it was all natural. :thumbs:

For maximum gains he still needs to train like a beginner.....not for a year like most should because he has trained before,but definately for 6 months.....1 bodypart for 1 hour will not allow the intensity needed for muscle growth...better to lift with authority for 20 minutes than go through the motions for 1 hour......no point cutting the hours of the day to allow for more rest,he needs to be eating every 3 hours,when you shorten your days to allow more rest you cut the nose off to spite the face.....2 hours per day in the gym is unecessary at his stage and if training natural will not allow full recovery for maximum growth

i wasnt talking about going throught he motions for 1 hour i was talking about lifting heavy with low reps and the hour allows for small rest periods between sets ...............

i wasnt talking about going throught he motions for 1 hour i was talking about lifting heavy with low reps and the hour allows for small rest periods between sets ...............

So lets say he is benching a weight he can do for 7/8 reps at 95% intensity with a 90 second rest in between.....well thats about 30 sets if he trains for an hour per bodypart!!!.....ive been training over 30 years and couldnt do that :D

He wants at the most 3 full heavy sets per bodypart compound movements only training to failure on each set with good form....maybe 1 last slow set with a lower weight....gradually increasing the weight every few weeks.....this in itself will be exhausting enough but with correct rest and diet will see good results......

So lets say he is benching a weight he can do for 7/8 reps at 95% intensity with a 90 second rest in between.....well thats about 30 sets if he trains for an hour per bodypart!!!.....ive been training over 30 years and couldnt do that :D

He wants at the most 3 full heavy sets per bodypart compound movements only training to failure on each set with good form....maybe 1 last slow set with a lower weight....gradually increasing the weight every few weeks.....this in itself will be exhausting enough but with correct rest and diet will see good results......

ok lets say he is training chest ... he will be doing 4 different exercises lets say flat bench ... inclined bench ... decline flyes and cable cross overs or dumbell pull overs or whatever ..... he will be doing 8 reps max and 4 sets for each exercise ... by going heavy on each exercise with 8 reps being his max then he will obviously be training with at least one other person so yes including rests between exercises and his partners time on the bench he will be training for an hour ..... for somebody thats been training for 30 years i have to explain an awfull lot to you ... and if you couldnt train that much after 30 years in the gym i suggest you give up and take up badmington or some other such girly sport :D ............

lurcherboy2008 is well into his bodybuilding and rio they could give some good advice big b*****ds :thumbdown:

Rio ................. :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Glad I haven't got any friends like you!

Simoman,

Don't be being coy now, it was very obvious when I've seen you that you have worked very hard on creating your ultimate physique as I have too .............. :whistling:

GD, if your question is whether to go on the gear or not, don't.

:thumbs:

:clapper::clapper::clapper::laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

now seen this thred you b*****ds

im to fit to be big :laugh::laugh:

ok lets say he is training chest ... he will be doing 4 different exercises lets say flat bench ... inclined bench ... decline flyes and cable cross overs or dumbell pull overs or whatever ..... he will be doing 8 reps max and 4 sets for each exercise ... by going heavy on each exercise with 8 reps being his max then he will obviously be training with at least one other person so yes including rests between exercises and his partners time on the bench he will be training for an hour ..... for somebody thats been training for 30 years i have to explain an awfull lot to you ... and if you couldnt train that much after 30 years in the gym i suggest you give up and take up badmington or some other such girly sport :D ............

Ok i suppose i could be like you and be an arse...but having been around a few gyms,having run 1 or 2 and eventually owning 1 or 2 suffice to say i feel no need to justify myself to you....the lads trying to get advice and if you scroll through books,gyms,the internet....or simply take advice off any seasoned lifter....nobody will tell a beginner to do 16 /20 sets to failure per bodypart 5 times per week and then go for an hours run after :doh: ....if he,s a plumber lets hope he has room in his toolbag for his intravenous drip eh !!

Its best to give no advice than give bad advice...and when he cannot move his arms at the start of his back workout....or his quads start tightening on his second set of deads,he is likely to injure himself......either that or due to fatigue he will make no gains at all,lose heart and pack up....the simplicity is....if any man can do 16 sets at full intensity,he is not lifting heavy enough !....why does he want to do isolations he is only just starting,4 exercises per body part is hitting the muscle from all angles.......and all to failure !?....competition bodybuilders dont even do that.

PS....waiting for your training partner or spotting your friends does not count as training time....im sure with all your experience you have been told that !....if i train with 5 other lads and i spot each of them but only do 4 sets myself,have i trained for an hour......hence once ive done my 16 sets to failure tuesday has become wednesday and ive soon to start my leg workout and cardio....thats after my training partners have carried me to hospital !....the blood and guts thing sounds impressive mate....but its not reality.

Edited by gnasher16

i go to the gym regualry and spent 8 months working in it training for my PTI course (wich the b*****ds would not let me do due to afghan training) in the army. My best advice is get yourself a partner who goes to the gym and ask to join in with what he/she dose. But lift less weight than them. This gives you motivation as you are helping your mate out and at the same time your learning the tricks of the trade. after a couple of months you will see enough exercises to help you to make your own programe. With the idea or reps, to 3-5 sets to blow out to start with, then you can work from there.

You only need to do weights 3 times a week, i mix the other days with going for a run,biking, cylcing or rock climbing. i am not after making big muscles i just like to keep toned and build strentgh.

just my tuppence.

oh and if you aint got a mate who goes to the gym you can always join a website and ask some one there. Most poeple who go to the gym in my eyes will always help you out. The days of the bloke in front of the mirror shunning the new person is long gone in my eyes and if the poeple there are like that then leave and go to another gym. Or join the army and you get a free ones

Edited by fraggle

I have a multigym, punchbag and a cycling machine in my loft convertion, I use them 3 times a week for about an hour and vary what I do, since starting that 2 years ago I've dramaticly improved my strength, agility, stamina, and over all fitness, as well as my physical appearance. I also do a lot of mountain biking at weekends. I would say it's easy to get caught up in the right and wrong way to do things, but the bottom line is, it should be hard work, but you'll know when you're pushing too hard..

Tracy, woud be interested to see a before and after pic, respect to you!

Ok i suppose i could be like you and be an arse...but having been around a few gyms,having run 1 or 2 and eventually owning 1 or 2 suffice to say i feel no need to justify myself to you....the lads trying to get advice and if you scroll through books,gyms,the internet....or simply take advice off any seasoned lifter....nobody will tell a beginner to do 16 /20 sets to failure per bodypart 5 times per week and then go for an hours run after :doh: ....if he,s a plumber lets hope he has room in his toolbag for his intravenous drip eh !!

Its best to give no advice than give bad advice...and when he cannot move his arms at the start of his back workout....or his quads start tightening on his second set of deads,he is likely to injure himself......either that or due to fatigue he will make no gains at all,lose heart and pack up....the simplicity is....if any man can do 16 sets at full intensity,he is not lifting heavy enough !....why does he want to do isolations he is only just starting,4 exercises per body part is hitting the muscle from all angles.......and all to failure !?....competition bodybuilders dont even do that.

PS....waiting for your training partner or spotting your friends does not count as training time....im sure with all your experience you have been told that !....if i train with 5 other lads and i spot each of them but only do 4 sets myself,have i trained for an hour......hence once ive done my 16 sets to failure tuesday has become wednesday and ive soon to start my leg workout and cardio....thats after my training partners have carried me to hospital !....the blood and guts thing sounds impressive mate....but its not reality.

well myself and the guys i train with do this with no problems at all ... i suppose we are just fitter and stronger than the avarage guy :D ... either that or we dont mind a bit of hard work .... anyway you obviously have for more experience in training nthan me so i will bow out of this debate and let you advise the fellow ............

There is no man alive fit and strong enough to do 16 sets per bodypart at maximum stress !.....my guess is if you are indeed doing 16 sets,you are not actually working at full intensity...you cant be.....muscle builds back bigger and stronger when it has been broken down and rested to accomodate the extra load you place on the muscle,thats why its called progressive resistance......its nothing to do with hard work,16 sets of 100% intensity is physically impossible every workout and certainly wouldnt achieve gains in size or strength.....believe me mate i spent my first 10 years slogging my guts out with little reward...then i learned a little about training and nutrition and realised it wasnt half as hard as i thought :D .....same mistake a lot of folk make.

There is no man alive fit and strong enough to do 16 sets per bodypart at maximum stress !.....my guess is if you are indeed doing 16 sets,you are not actually working at full intensity...you cant be.....muscle builds back bigger and stronger when it has been broken down and rested to accomodate the extra load you place on the muscle,thats why its called progressive resistance......its nothing to do with hard work,16 sets of 100% intensity is physically impossible every workout and certainly wouldnt achieve gains in size or strength.....believe me mate i spent my first 10 years slogging my guts out with little reward...then i learned a little about training and nutrition and realised it wasnt half as hard as i thought :D .....same mistake a lot of folk make.

(There is no man alive fit and strong enough to do 16 sets per bodypart at maximum stress)

well ERM there is actually ME :D ...........

my training regime dont seem to be doing me any harm ...........

gym1.jpg

(There is no man alive fit and strong enough to do 16 sets per bodypart at maximum stress)

well ERM there is actually ME :D ...........

my training regime dont seem to be doing me any harm ...........

gym1.jpg

that pic makes you look like the baddy out of blade 3 :gunsmilie:

keeping a stake near me if i ever meet you 8)

Your looking well mate.....but you are still not training 16 sets per bodypart at maximum stress and then going for an hours cardio after....im not asking you im telling you :D .....i dont know how long you have been training but you dont appear to be training for size so i doubt you are lifting to your full capabilities anyway,hence you are not lifting to maximum stress....

If for every single one of your sets of 8 reps, your 7th rep is not forced and your 8th is not a negative rep...then your not training to maximum stress......i see lads every day juiced up to the eyeballs lifting ridiculous amounts of weight who couldnt and wouldnt dream of lifting to failure for 16 sets per bodypart !....like i said,i think your version of 100 % intensity is probably a lot different to mine....training to failure done correctly is the most physically stressful and demanding ways to train even for 1 month....no man alive could consistently train like this and certainly not for 16 sets per body part.