fishing the tyne

was down in tynedale picking up a new terrier pup on sat evening. In return for the stalking i gave my mate when he was last up i got the chance of fishing the hexham bridge pool :tongue2: for thoose that dont know it id rate it in the top 3 pools on the whole river...

We arrived about 7.30 pm, the river was low but not quite on its bones, i couldnt tackle up quick enough, i used to sit and watch the syndicate fishing this pool when i was skiving school, and hear i was nearly 20 years later about to cast a line in the pool id alway dreamed of fishing....

I put a black and gold on the point and a black and purple on the dropper, and started the pool, just after id fished the neck, i had a half pound dace :icon_eek: .. a good size as far as they come but not much cop on a 14 ft rod... the pool started to widen a little from here down, then BANG i was in, at first it looked a little coloured when it had its enitial thrash.. it kept deep and headed up the pool to the slack water next to the neck, it came right out the water, it was a spanker, mid to high teens and as freash as a daisey, it made its way into the faster water when the line went slack :icon_eek::thumbdown::icon_eek: on inspection i found my dropper knot had slipped :whistling::icon_redface::censored::censored: ...

i carryed on fishing, taking a sea trout of about 3 pound, which was returned, and missing another pull just on dark.... im waiting for my mate to e mail the photos which il add when i get them.... back down for a full day in a month or so, cant wait..

it was better than i could ever have wished for and well worth the wait.....

I know Hexham tyne stretch quite well,great area to fish,we used to go further up for best results though,fished the Plankey Mill stretch often enough,just as good for the fish with the added bonus of thick woods in the area we used to fish :victory:

I know Hexham tyne stretch quite well,great area to fish,we used to go further up for best results though,fished the Plankey Mill stretch often enough,just as good for the fish with the added bonus of thick woods in the area we used to fish :victory:

plankey mill, feck me that place bring back some memories, id dare say it was ideal for your DRY FLY tecnique later in the year.... nice place to spot birds in the summer :whistling: too

wilf what one of "them" ??

Edited by alimac

HMMMMM ,

WELL MACKEM ........... YRS AND YRS AGO A FELLA I BUMPED INTO WAS USING A LOVELY " BOARD " WITH HIS DRY FLYS , USED ONE SINCE ,....... THOUGH IAM WAITING ON OLD SNAREMAN DRAWING ME OUT HIS DESIGN SO I CAN MAKE A FEW MORE :whistling:

DUCKWING :big_boss:

I would love an old otter-board,used them for trout in the past,and would do so again,but the methods I use nowadays are a little more Hi-tech,very,very effective but not nearly as much fun to use :victory: