Smithfields & Norfolks & Tumblers

my norfolk type bred by mick douglas out of rust around 81/82

little lurcher i spent many good days on acle marshes in the 80s with mick

thats a nice type. i had a freind that went hunting with mick, he use to walk about bare foot and cought a few hares, his dogs were great up and at them types. is he still about?

i think dad saw him a few months ago and he didnt look too good at all sadly , them marshes offered such good days and nights , and still do :victory:

he must be getting on a bit then, would he be that old?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest little lurcher

thats a nice type. i had a freind that went hunting with mick, he use to walk about bare foot and cought a few hares, his dogs were great up and at them types. is he still about?

i think dad saw him a few months ago and he didnt look too good at all sadly , them marshes offered such good days and nights , and still do :victory:

im sure he is around my dads age so will be 60 ish??? i think his mind has gone from how dad described him? he said hello etc but speech was slow and he said his eyes had lost that light , you know what i mean when i say that :victory:

Guest little lurcher
Thats sad LL to hear about Mick...........does or did anyone continue his line of breeding do you know.?

if my bitch works well again this season , i will be putting her to the last dog of my dads breeding which began micks breeding, but the dog will be 11 at time of mating so who knows?? there are many similar types around tbh ?

im sure he is around my dads age so will be 60 ish??? i think his mind has gone from how dad described him? he said hello etc but speech was slow and he said his eyes had lost that light , you know what i mean when i say that :victory:

thats a shame, he sounded a decent sort. has he anymore dogs? i hope he is ok, as that age does not sound too old, but everyone is dfferent.

Guest little lurcher

thats a shame, he sounded a decent sort. has he anymore dogs? i hope he is ok, as that age does not sound too old, but everyone is dfferent.

he hasnt chosen the easy life path though has he , certainly a character missed by many , i think he is in norfolk still but unsure if he has any dogs at all now

certainly a character missed by many ,

so very true. thanks LL.

Really interesting thread , Does anyone remember a guy called Aubrey Fryer ? , my ex OH had one of his dogs back in the late seventies , and it looked very similar to the dogs on this thread.

Wow Rabitin Girl you surley could have stired something up here. This is brilliant, come on Phil and the rest of you mooching, lurcher Men and Girls that could shed more light on this brilliant topic.

Regards Warren

:laugh::laugh: @ Warren... :thumbs:

I'm saying nowt...I'm too fat,..my fighting days are over... :boxing:

BUT,... :hmm:

Me and Aubrey Fryer were pals,...but, we had a bit of fall out (what's fecking new ,.eh :) )...

Back in the 1980's I was doing a bit of writing for the Shooting News (now the Countryman's Weekly) and the truth of the matter is,..I wrote a wee article describing my own involvement with the Smithfield type,..(here in Hampshire we bred our 'wombles from localised herding dogs, just for the rabbiting game. We had no need of a hare coursing dog)....and in my article, I refused to say what Aubrey wanted me to..

Don't get me wrong,..I liked the man,..(I love being around lurcher folk that are genuine 'characters') and we used to have a good bit of craic,..but,.in common with ALL the advocates of these ancient lurcher 'types',..I simply did not understand his rationale or comprehend his theoretic ramblings... :no:

And back in those days,..after meeting such fellows,..I was duty bound to say what I truly believed...

These days,.I am not so brave,...and recent events 'at home' have taught me that life really is too short,.and what is left is to be enjoyed. I'm far too long in the tooth to argue about poxy silly jukels..

But,..occasionally,..I lapse back into my old ways,...and say exactly what I think,..and describe what I have seen with my own eyes,.as opposed to simply read about in books and magazines,..

However,..at this point in time I don't feel motivated enough to engage in a war of words... so, I'll willingly 'let sleeping dogs lie'..:boogie:

My one desire Is for Warren to buy me a large pint of Cider at The Welsh,.then I can die happy... :drink:

Meanwhile,...Please continue with this most excellent thread guys and gals,..,...I'm loving it.... ;)

All the best,..Chalkwarren...

SMITHFIELD 'LOOK-A-LIKES'.... :thumbs:

File0289.jpg

NORFOLK STYLE LURCHER (FROM HAMPSHIRE. :laugh: )

norfolkFile0657_edited-1.jpg

Chalky, there is a pint from me and one from John. infact we should all have one or two together. It would be nice to keep this thread going in the hope of learning more about the mysterious Smithfield, Norfolk types!! What gen I'm after might already have been written, or, is there more to tell??

chalk if looks could kill themdogs would be asassins they are lovely dogsif you would please how are they bred how did they cope with work yo put them to how were there feet,how in comparison were they to what you have now.cheers

Jeff B. ...... used to live next street down from him in Wellingborough till two years ago.

OK chap likes to spin a few so take bags of time and a bag of salt

not the sort of bloke to cross

rumor has it he likes his deer and always has done :whistling:

nice looking dogs though even though hardly anybody round here owns one ;)

cheers

anton

Hi there,...well,..I have recounted my early efforts at producing a Smithfield 'look-a-like' many,.many times in the past,.so I don't think it would be fair to bore THL members with such a long tale again... :laugh:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
ooty my kind of stuff tell us more,im sorry to go away from original thread but im intreaged if thats how you spell it.me own bitch is simalar but not to such a degree.
i wll! not realy in the mood today,my bull,greyhound managed to break free and has killed my whippet bitch and badly damaged one ov my plummers.pluss im getting unreal stick for a plummer pup thred on the terrier section from some real idiots that in my opinion shouldnt be allowd to own a dog,il sort out som pics for next time.i dont think a thred as good as this is going anywhere,got some good pics ov ronnie ferreting and long netting :thumbs:

As for her feet, well to me they look fecking poor,.and surely destined to collapse after her first real season on the rabbits, ..but,..who can say,...time will surely tell... :hmm:

Funny feet them whippet crosses have my old mans dog has the hare foot of the whippet he said at the time theyd be no good two years of graft down the line and run on gravel and stoney fields and there as good as new :victory:

Hi there,...well,..I have recounted my early efforts at producing a Smithfield 'look-a-like' many,.many times in the past,.so I don't think it would be fair to bore THL members with such a long tale again... :laugh:

Suffice to say,..my lurchers back then were mostly herding dog based, and contained NO Bedlington or Deerhound blood,..not that I don't admire such breeds,.because I do,..but on that occasion,..I simply chose to go down the sheepdog route.

Work wise,.they caught what they were put on to,.

But, when I started to harvest the Roe on a regular nightly basis, I went over to a stronger,..more physical, Saluki based type of catch dog,..in fact, a completely different kind of animal... :thumbs:

Nowadays, I just run a wee fat whippet,..

She is great fun,...I like her a lot.

As for her feet, well to me they look fecking poor,.and surely destined to collapse after her first real season on the rabbits, ..but,..who can say,...time will surely tell... :hmm:

All the best ,..Chalkwarren...

PICT0055.jpg

them are very tame deer and thats one well trained whippet...lol