Smithfields & Norfolks & Tumblers

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CW, I know this is off the topic an all, but your whippet looks well. Is there a bit o scabby sheepdog in her? ;)

Lets all not get EMOTIONAL discussing jukels now :D

:clapper::laugh::laugh:

Yeah,.the FAT Whippet does have a smidgen of sheepdog in her ancestory,.... :thumbs:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
Hi CW, I know this is off the topic an all, but your whippet looks well. Is there a bit o scabby sheepdog in her? ;)

Lets all not get EMOTIONAL discussing jukels now :D

:clapper::laugh::laugh:

Yeah,.the FAT Whippet does have a smidgen of sheepdog in her ancestory,.... :thumbs:

As an aside,...we have several nice 'hard blood' (non-pedigree) race whippets nearby,.and as you can imagine,.they always look,.'lean and mean' and every bit the canine athlete,..as befits their task in life ;)

However,.my own wee running dog likes the good life a tad too much,.and carries a fair amount of lard (like her owner :yes: )...hence all the local kids shouting out,..."Its Sky,..the fat whippet".... :D :laugh:

All the best,...CHALKWARREN... :drink:

:laugh: Mine wee fella puts on the weight as well, I think it is the sheepdog in them. :hmm: It doesnt seem to effect his performance though. But I dont take my hunting too seriously, its all a bit o craic to me. Best o luck, :drink:

Back to the ol' tyme herding cur hounds, then. :thumbs:

ok cw i know ive gone off the beaten track but a bit and this thread is about smithfields and norfolks weather the two are of the same is of course open to debaite,but for me your cers are of interest so i will ask how did you find them as in working ability there coats there (feet) and general atitude to work they were put to,im most keen to learn of there make up, what collie was used ect,i tried by starting with beardie me self but they didnt stand the rigers of the land i hunt,please indulge me a little feck the rest i wont be bored :D cheers.

Concerning 'Tumblers', i.e. the original dog of legend not the Jeff Burrell running dog. These were similar to the 'Red Decoy Dog'. They were last existant around 200 years ago. They were a popular dog for rabbiting. The tumbler would roll and play about (tumble) lulling the rabbits into a false sense of security, in a similar fashion to the actions of fox and stoats, then it would pounce the rabbits and retrieve to the hunter. When firearms became more available this breed went out of fashion and into extinction. For anyone willing to read about this ancient breed, you can find information about them at your local library and on some documents held in 'Google Books'.

first lurcher we had as boys were norfolk type brown broken coated and sandy got pics of him 26 years ago most lurchers localy were sandy or wheaton coulored not bad dogs and we bred some to a genuine deerhound type and they bred better dogs for veni and hares saw a few wheaton coulored colllie types but by mid eighties well the black country sting was well on its way then fenland coursing etc my only problem with the furry type of lurcher was overheating on big nites in september etc were the salluks take the warm nites and have natural stamina , but saw a furry type take three hares at drem in easlothain 24 years ago and killed bags of hares until she fecched her leg at six , i remember i sent some photos of the furry coated collie types thta were bred in eastlothain to chalkie many years ago he says keep them , he says there yours and looking back im glad as they have some good shots as boys with lurchers all the best , mines were never tumblers etc just lurchers jade spey jess hairy mary all rough norfolk types

I like the look of your uncles old dog Blacktabs :thumbs:

Cheers rabitin girl :victory:

Ive seen this dog run hares to a standstill many a time he just keeps em in the middle of the field running head up exposing as much body as he can then when there totally disorientated he strikes.

He hunts himself leaving the wagon when he feels like it i know hes had the line for over fifty years and says it was an old line back then.

Hes lead a tough life and is never injured or lame and catches a lot to say hes never lamped a very crafty dog.

A better pic of him with his coat just growing back.

DSC00720.jpg

ok cw i know ive gone off the beaten track but a bit and this thread is about smithfields and norfolks weather the two are of the same is of course open to debaite,but for me your cers are of interest so i will ask how did you find them as in working ability there coats there (feet) and general atitude to work they were put to,im most keen to learn of there make up, what collie was used ect,i tried by starting with beardie me self but they didnt stand the rigers of the land i hunt,please indulge me a little feck the rest i wont be bored :D cheers.

Ok,...A quick answer to your question Doga,... :yes:

Firstly,..I would never claim to have any 'Secret Sam' type of info about the kind of dogs that you and I are obviously interested in..And same as yourself,...I would prefer to leave the theorising and 'hearsay' to them as have always seemed to need it... :thumbs: My own 'wombles' were bred from my old lamping bitch, Mercedes. I had her covered by a big Blue sheep herder. He was the image of the old style 'Downland drover' sort of Sussex Bobtail/Dorset Blue cur. Bold, tough and with some 'eye'...

I saw him work the sheep,..and just fancied using him.

My hectic days (well mostly nights) of freelancing then, were coming to an abrupt end.

A few of my contemporaries had received prison sentences,..and it was on the cards that, 'sooner or later',.I would be joining them in Winchester :no: I would not of been able to handle that...So,.I quit the deer job..... :yes:

I fancied some lurchers for the rabbiting game,..and I bred a couple of litters of hairy'un's :)

Sadly,..they did not provide me with the kind of helper that I required.

They caught plenty of game,.and were a delight to handle.

Their coats were fairly harsh .not linty or fluffy in the manner of a Dulux dog. ..... ;)

However,..when I turned legitimate and started my rabbit control business,.I needed something far more robust, and capable of working most days and nights,..but that,.is another story.... :boogie:

Right,..I cannot tell you much more mate,...its not very exciting I know,.but then the truth seldom is.... :thumbs:

All the best to you,...cheers,.CHALKWARREN... :drink:

photo21-SulaanotherSmithFieldLook-a.jpg

thanks for your time. :good:

all smashing looking dogs im seeing but im still not convinced a drovers dog would have been quite so racey or pritty as most ov these dogs.rembering the dogs first dutys was to herd and guard,after that id say the pot filler was the next most important task.il say agian that i believe the the smithfeild collie(now extinct its beleaved) was most likely a large probably rough agressive collie and the norfolk lurcher was the smithfeild cross lurcher\greyhound which then would have produced some more lurchery types but still heavy til a second cross was bred .then i think we'd be looking closer to the norfolk lurchers and dogs in these pics,id ov thouhgt though a man claiming to be breeding norfolk lurchers would come from norfolk however nicer man or smart dogs his breeding?i thinkits only possable to claim to be breeding a norfolk "type" based on the modern day image ov the breed. only the humble opinion ov a norfolk man thats bred a fair few handy heavy collie blooded lurchers and some fairly racey ones too.thanks

Edited by ooty
I know nothing of M r Burral only what I have seen in his ad in the countrymans weekly, but I have been out and about many times with Warrens young pup, I dont Know if all the lurcher breed this way are the same, but the only two that I know of seem good honest working type dogs, the other is about 3 1/2 to 4 years old and is a cracking animal, like has been said already I dont suppose for one minuet every dog out of this mans kennels is a world better of yesteryear and what we have all been lead to belive over the years that, that is the legendery norfolk lurcher, many years ago I owned a bitch bred by a man called david pike who claimed to have the last line out of mick douglese's norfolk lurcher and has also said you pay your money.......the bitch turned out to be the best lurcher I had ever owned, not that I am any where nere being the expert dog man that many other are this is not a dig this is a fact, she also on the other side of her breeding had a havey collie blooded line so may be this is where her good points came from, but back to the burral tumbelers, from what I have seen molly has a great future in the field great strike good nose and Im sure Warren will not mind me saying for a coddoly looking bitch she has some turn of speed

SANY0121-1.jpg

molly now

SANY0035-1.jpg

molly at about 6 months on the day of her first rabbit

SANY0036-1.jpg

SANY0458.jpg

molly watching for a bolt

SANY0460.jpg

marking

A little clip of one of molly's very first rabbits

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/jo...=SANY0051-1.flv

Excellet bit of video that mate