Smithfields & Norfolks & Tumblers

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all smashing looking dogs im seeing but im still not convinced a drovers dog would have been quite so racey or pritty as most ov these dogs.rembering the dogs first dutys was to herd and guard,after that id say the pot filler was the next most important task.il say agian that i believe the the smithfeild collie(now extinct its beleaved) was most likely a large probably rough agressive collie and the norfolk lurcher was the smithfeild cross lurcher\greyhound which then would have produced some more lurchery types but still heavy til a second cross was bred .then i think we'd be looking closer to the norfolk lurchers and dogs in these pics,id ov thouhgt though a man claiming to be breeding norfolk lurchers would come from norfolk however nicer man or smart dogs his breeding?i thinkits only possable to claim to be breeding a norfolk "type" based on the modern day image ov the breed. only the humble opinion ov a norfolk man thats bred a fair few handy heavy collie blooded lurchers and some fairly racey ones too.thanks

Hi Ooty,...yeah,.a good point there ... :hmm:

I think the lads who have been posting their old pics are well aware that their running dogs are not Smithfield Collies,... :laugh: But more so , the kind of lurcher that MAY of been created from them?

AS you say,..the drovers dogs were quite a mixed bunch, and I have been researching this type of ancient herder all my life. I find the history of the UK droving trade to be really interesting :thumbs:

The 'Droves' came from all around the UK,..but a lot of livestock ended up in Norfolk and was left in the capable hands of the Marshmen,.for fattening and getting 'right' for that final, 'one way' journey to Smithfield.... :yes:

Its good that you mention the distinction twixt,.Norfolk (lurchers) and Drover's collie curs,.. :thumbs:

Anyway,.... it has been an interesting thread.....

All the best,.CHALKWARREN.... :drink:

very intresting thred!a lot ov the old drovers trails still exist round here along with meny ov the old commons an overnight stopping places,if ever up this way id be happy to show you and thhat whippet ov yours a few ov them, i also have a bit ov a fasination with old drovers dogs i remember my great grandads old tales ov them,certianly not putting anyones dogs or knowledge down,have seen some dogs id be proud to own on here and have lernt a good bit also.makes a nice change to see lots ov people pull together on a subject instead ov all saying they no more than the other.take care. :drink::thumbs: Edited by ooty
  • 1 year later...

this is the best thread ive read thought id drag it up for anyone else thats missed out on it,fascinating stuff thanks to everyone thats commented especially the chap with the lurcher that does fur feather and fish, what id do for a dog like that.enjoy folks

this is the best thread ive read thought id drag it up for anyone else thats missed out on it,fascinating stuff thanks to everyone thats commented especially the chap with the lurcher that does fur feather and fish, what id do for a dog like that.enjoy folks

:signthankspin: Thanks :signthankspin: