fox shooting

im going to get a new rifle this summer for fox shooting. i was thinking .243 tikka t3. id like to hear yere suggestions and im open to change my mind on the caliber and rifle.

also if ye have any pictures of your rifles and set ups id like to see them

all the best

An fia (the deer)

Edited by An fia

Would I be right in saying that to have a rifle over .223 in Ireland you need to have deer land?

The Tikka T3 is a fine weapon. Have you looked at the other reputable makes, Remington, Sako etc?

Regards

SS

im not sure but that wouldnt be a problem there are plenty of deer around. im staying away from remingtion,i dont like them but sako,savage,steyr are all ok

700 hundred on t3 let me know if you find one cz in 223 calibre got it for the same reason quality gun

i checked that out and point taken E1400 was the cheapest i could find :wallbash::icon_redface: but ive the whole summer the get more cash.

spend the money on a sako 85 s/s and then you'll have a quality weapon. save your cash, and purchase it or if needs be the tikka.

As for needing deer on your land no. you just need land to shoot on for foxing.

:gunsmilie:

Almost all of the factory rifles will do the job these days, it's personal preference. Remingtons shoot well, but Howas shoot just as well or better and cost less.

Tikka is a nicer rifle than either but you pay more, so it depends on your preferences and your budget, but you can't get a new rifle that absolutely won't do the job, so check out a few in the gunshop and take it from there.

Personally these days I would avoid Sako, but for a daft reason - they're lovely rifles. So lovely, could you bear it when your baby got scratched in the field?! :)

Out of interest, why don't you like Remingtons?

well the first rifle i ever used was a remington .22 and i just didnt like anything about it,also anyone iv asked has sold their remmie or would never buy one again unless it was a 700

Guest JohnGalway

well the first rifle i ever used was a remington .22 and i just didnt like anything about it,also anyone iv asked has sold their remmie or would never buy one again unless it was a 700

Since I don't shoot deer and don't intend to (as yet anyway) I would go for a .223 for foxes. I had a long reply written but lost it so this is the shorter version. I think ruling out Remingtons for that reason is a mistake. I own a Remington VL SS .223, it's shoots a considerable way better than my Tikka T3 Varmint did. I don't say all rifles are the same, I only compare those two individual rifles. Out of the box, with only the standard factory trigger adjusted slightly my VL SS was regularly doing 0.5"-0.6" three shot groups at 100 yards using Hornady Vmax 40 gran moly coated rounds. I since purchased a Jewell trigger. Best group now is 0.3", same everything else as above.

I'm not condemning other brands, I just believe you're making a mistake ruling out Remingtons on that basis, especially in .223. I've shot a VSSF II on many occasions and it was a very accurate rifle, seen another VSSF II in action on a range and again it was accurate. Next time you're in a gunshop have a look at a VL SS, VSSF II or VLS :yes: You can see them online here. If you're pricing around don't forget Duffys in Galway.

171448.jpg

My gear (some of it!).

fox67and68dogvix236yardshill.jpg

Two foxes taken at 236 yards.

Since I don't shoot deer and don't intend to (as yet anyway) I would go for a .223 for foxes. I had a long reply written but lost it so this is the shorter version. I think ruling out Remingtons for that reason is a mistake. I own a Remington VL SS .223, it's shoots a considerable way better than my Tikka T3 Varmint did. I don't say all rifles are the same, I only compare those two individual rifles. Out of the box, with only the standard factory trigger adjusted slightly my VL SS was regularly doing 0.5"-0.6" three shot groups at 100 yards using Hornady Vmax 40 gran moly coated rounds. I since purchased a Jewell trigger. Best group now is 0.3", same everything else as above.

I'm not condemning other brands, I just believe you're making a mistake ruling out Remingtons on that basis, especially in .223. I've shot a VSSF II on many occasions and it was a very accurate rifle, seen another VSSF II in action on a range and again it was accurate. Next time you're in a gunshop have a look at a VL SS, VSSF II or VLS :yes: You can see them online here. If you're pricing around don't forget Duffys in Galway.

john that was a well written post :clapper: and iv looked at the VL SS.its a nice gun and I will keep remingtons in consideration now when I go to buy a rifle.I supoose its down to my own situation which caliber I go for but lots of people seem to be using .223 or 22-250 for foxes,im wondering is .243 ''overkill'' for foxes. I will go to duffys as ill be in galway next year for college I hope :hmm: although I buy most of my stuff in paul o hallorans in drangan

john that was a well written post :clapper: and iv looked at the VL SS.its a nice gun and I will keep remingtons in consideration now when I go to buy a rifle.I supoose its down to my own situation which caliber I go for but lots of people seem to be using .223 or 22-250 for foxes,im wondering is .243 ''overkill'' for foxes. I will go to duffys as ill be in galway next year for college I hope :hmm: although I buy most of my stuff in paul o hallorans in drangan

.243 is not overkill as far as the fox is concerned, a dead fox is a dead fox. If your planning on serious foxing work and maybe looking towards deer stalking in the future then the .243 is the way to go.

Saying that if your planning extended range foxing, over and above 350 yards then the .243 is the weapon of choice.

good luck with whatever you choose. :thumbs:

Snap, agree - 243 is a damn good fox round. Better than 22-250 IMHO, bullet choice is greater and there's more energy to play with too. 223 is a very good option, it's cheaper and it does the job. If deer are involved there is a good case for both, depending on the land.