Single-Handed Fox Killing Terriers

Personally ,i've seen a great many fox killers to ground and from most recognised breeds too .Dont own one at the minute ,that is to say not a regular killer as in the true sense of the description .Owned a black type once that had it down to a tea ,shut many a farmer up i can tell you .We used him mainly on big bale stacks and undiggable rocky places .I saw him kill twice ,once in an old electric duct on a deserted RAF camp and again in some broken paving slabs .He was' nt particular about his first hold ,offering his shoulder to get under the throat but hes long dead .Once saw a tiny JRT that had mastered the art and drew the victim aswell .Seen some irrate huntsmen getting hot under the collar as a dead fox is drawn :censored: .Can be annoying when youve dug a good hole to be met with a dead fox and a wagging terrier but thats just my take on it .Its something that cant be taught and cant be broken ,they either do or they dont .

Just to add that most of the foxkillers ive seen arnt what i call hard terriers ,never fight their fox to a stand still,just masters at the first telling grip .

Edited to say that it dosnt take log for a terrier to kill a fox ,it just depends on whether or not they stay with a dead carcass to be dug to .Fastest time i know of from entry to dead fox and out is 5 1/2 minutes :notworthy:

mate ur bang on i seen a wee russell bitch done the excact thing ur on about always showing the side of her face instead of head on. rarely did she take stick on the top like u would expect always on her cheek or shoulder and this bitch has what u said a art dug many dead to her stuck to there throat there is dogs that get the knack sometimes a dog with brian will kill more than won with brawn

Edited by stevie g 2005

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hes not at stud sorry,

Picture082.jpg

he not proven by any means but from experince i think he will be ok nixon breeding bit a bull in him somewhere but he loves it000_0009.jpg he killed this on his own young and keen we will see next year when he has a few on the bonce000_0013-1.jpgheres a better pic of him000_0005.jpg

Edited by stevie g 2005
Hi lads,

I am no expert when it comes to terriers.

What breeds can quickly dispatch a fox, with no messing about or prolonged ordeal.

Does anyone here own a terrier like that or had one in the past?

What about Fells? JRs? Wheatons? Borders? lakelands? BullnTerriers? cross bred terriers?

Some terrier as game as hell that does the job well. It doesnt neccessarily have to be an earthdog.

:hmm:

when u say it doesnt have to be a earh dog that i dont like my point being a bad wheaton or bull or even a failed earth dog will kill a fox above ground plenty of space loads of air can see what its doing but to do it under pressure unfamilar surrondings tight on ur side thats what its about mate its like dogs with bits missing cos its missing does not make it a good dog and a terrier that kills above ground is not a dog worth praiseing unless he is commited the same below thats just my bit :whistling:

I agree with you there stevie g, I had a baying bitch(dead now) that could kill a fox above ground, or once you have broken through to her, but never killed one to ground. Its a totally different ball game isnt it.

However my dog terrier, will now kill most foxes he is to ground with. He wasnt always like this, just got harder and harder as time went on. One time we couldnt dig him out of the rocks of an old quarry, and the fox must have been in a good position, when we got to him after nearly two days he was a sorry sight! You couldnt even see his eyes for a couple of days! Its the only drawback of having a hard dog, they will get severely punished when working.

have seen fox killers in most breeds but find it is not usualy the hardest which is best at it but the smartest they just get a knack for it h ad a small russel bitch a few years back who killed a lot of foxes but she would be what i class a bayer if she got the chance to take a hold she would do the job but if charlie was tuckedup tight she would bay all day got a red dog at the minute has killed a lot of foxes big dog but not hard and hes the first terrier i have had that has killed foxes to ground then drew them straight out has done this in some deep places aswell and he is now 9 years old still working and just breed a litter from him still thinks he is 3 years old

any pics of him mate

i will try and get some pics up dont know how to do it so will wait for one of my kids to show me hopfully over the weekend

its not that they get harder and harder ,some dogs just have a nack for killing them where some never learn it ,i had a good young bitch out of bert 1/4 bull in her that was coming on well really well ,but she didnt have it her way a few times,then sadly lost her life,but thats how it goes in this game win some lose some.

post-13513-1212241427_thumb.jpg

have seen fox killers in most breeds but find it is not usualy the hardest which is best at it but the smartest they just get a knack for it h ad a small russel bitch a few years back who killed a lot of foxes but she would be what i class a bayer if she got the chance to take a hold she would do the job but if charlie was tuckedup tight she would bay all day got a red dog at the minute has killed a lot of foxes big dog but not hard and hes the first terrier i have had that has killed foxes to ground then drew them straight out has done this in some deep places aswell and he is now 9 years old still working and just breed a litter from him still thinks he is 3 years old

any pics of him mate

i will try and get some pics up dont know how to do it so will wait for one of my kids to show me hopfully over the weekend

well here goes had it explained to me how to upload pictures hope this post-13513-1212241553.jpgas you can see it is the terrier thats the oldie not the lurcher dont know how the picture of lurcher got their but am going to leave it as i dont know how to remove it

Have to say lads apart from a few ,kirstysdad C H ,i reckon theres a few here who read too many books.Hard dogs mostly don t kill foxes,the hardest i ve seen and dug took a hold and didn t let go,breaking through with the fox by the leg once,no noise but if i was asked would they kill a fox i d have to say ,maybe eventually.I only seen one consistent fox killer and it was a baying mixing type who held on when he got the right hold on the throat.

A hard dog will damage a fox so it has to be killed but mostly the neck of fox killing in my experience doesn t go hand in hand with mute/hard dogs.

Guest dee mac

have to agree with pip i have a hard dog and have hadhim from he was a pup he s now 7 year old he has only killed about 4 foxes in his life but has always been dug in grips with his quarry he just charged in took his grip and held on till he was dug to theres a nack in killing foxes which some dogs learn but most are not hard the hard dogs are not interested in biding there time for the right chance they just get lashed in and take there punishment .

have to agree with pip i have a hard dog and have hadhim from he was a pup he s now 7 year old he has only killed about 4 foxes in his life but has always been dug in grips with his quarry he just charged in took his grip and held on till he was dug to theres a nack in killing foxes which some dogs learn but most are not hard the hard dogs are not interested in biding there time for the right chance they just get lashed in and take there punishment .

i have to agree to dog i have is the same dee= mac .just charge in and takes punishment every time some bad.then is

time of.would sooner have one not so hard be able to have more digs but there you go.

So lads what do ye reckon is the better digging terrier?

Personally I would like to dig a live quarry undamaged. So no hard terriers for me.

For what you're asking, a good russell that doesn't give an inch..... 'bay and stay'

I'm biased toward my bedlingtons, get in and get the job done... they did/do have the knack of killing to ground, Bron 1/2 bred Bed/Lakie killed three in a morning and you wouldn't have said she'd even been to ground..

seen good Lakies, black dogs and borders, most of them were more than capable of killing foxes albeit in different ways, Lakies and Blacks would just get in a munch their foxes..