Major Problem

Hi all, my ferrets, or rather one of them is being really aggresive/dominent. they arent in season, their not pregnant and i treat them both equally(lol). i've been told by a friend it's just the other one being dominant cause their isn't a hob there. and that is what the hob would do, but to be honest it's constant dominance, no matter what???!!!. i have tried posting a video but it won't work .

thanks all

Corky

Hi all, my ferrets, or rather one of them is being really aggresive/dominent. they arent in season, their not pregnant and i treat them both equally(lol). i've been told by a friend it's just the other one being dominant cause their isn't a hob there. and that is what the hob would do, but to be honest it's constant dominance, no matter what???!!!. i have tried posting a video but it won't work .

thanks all

Corky

have either off the jills been brought out of season this year or are they in full blown season

both brought out

Nowt to worry about its hormonal behaviour , the smaller ones mothering the bigger one, its a pain in the backside but thats women for you :laugh:

lol. thanks Kay. so you think just leave them be and let them get on with it?

tganks kay

Corky

What i would watch for is when the bigger ones feeding , take out the other one as being continually dragged to bed can soon tell on the recipient & if the bigger ones not getting its quota off food it will soon become evident

The 've been" taken out of season" which normally happens by being mated . The result of mating is normally a litter.The ferret's hormones are fooling it into thinking she's mated and had a litter.Her instincts to drag wandering babies back to the nest have been transfered to retrieving her unfortunate adult cage-mate.As has been said let em get on with it but be if the surrogate "baby" is too brow-beaten or becomes too raw round the neck separation for a while is the fairest solution. :thumbs:

Edited by comanche
have you tried putting in small cuddly toys ie teddys you can get them from charity shops for around 10p they need to be about 3-4 inches [not filled with beans] this sometimes works.

My two Jills are doing the same thing so I'll give the toy ago.

The Jill being mothered (i.e. draged back into the next area) has also started nipping me each time I handle her (totally out of charcter as usually loves being picked up).

have just noticed that my jills are swelling again so this could be the reason for the grouchiness?! gonna split em up when i breed them anyway, to reduce the risk of fighting and eating! will keep you all updated.

p.s any one live around swadlincote with a ferret i could breed from? PM me if you do, thanks

Corky

The thing is i would like a litter out of them(already have a buyer[the pet shop i work at]) and then i might think about getting them done permanently depending on the price. but planning on an extention tommorrow anyway, just because i can now that the rabbit hutch has been moved.