Magpie Decoys in Larsens

Have you noticed that there are generally two 'sizes' of adult magpie ? There's the small skinny ones and the bigger, round fat ones. This picture gives you an idea of what I mean but could be better. Both are clearly adult with full length tails but the one on the right is the 'fat round' type.

Does anyone know which is female and which is male ? Is that even what the difference is ? Could it be that the skinny one is a young adult from last year and the fat ones are older ?

The reason I ask is that I've found the small ones to work consistenly better as decoys. Maybe something to do with them being easier to dominate ? Because of their sex and / or maturity ?

Has anyone else noticed this ?

post-2748-1211908881_thumb.jpg

Guest friedrice

JOHN YOU GO INTO A BAR, AND THERE IN FRONT OF YOU ARE TWO SISTERS. ONES SLIM, ONES FAT ?.

THE SLIM ONE IS DRESSED IN BLACK AND WHITE AND SO IS THE FAT ONE ?

AINT NO USE LOOKING AT THEYRE BUMS YOU KNOW THE SLIM ONE WOULD BE BETTER,AND THATS THE ONE YOU WOULD TAKE HOME FIRST.

BUT THE FAT ONES GOT NICE BIG TITS, AND YOU THINK TO YOU SELFE ! I'LL GET A GOOD ROLL OUT OF HER. BUT THEN YOU TALK TO THEM. :icon_eek: WHO IS THE NOISEY ONE WHO AINT?. THEY ARE TWO TARTS,BUT THE TWO CAN PULL :thumbs:

:laugh: I see where you're coming from FR. Both will have things going for them but it just seems to me the 'small' ones have worked better this year.

An fia - are you saying that you've noticed this too ?

Have you noticed that there are generally two 'sizes' of adult magpie ? There's the small skinny ones and the bigger, round fat ones. This picture gives you an idea of what I mean but could be better. Both are clearly adult with full length tails but the one on the right is the 'fat round' type.

Does anyone know which is female and which is male ? Is that even what the difference is ? Could it be that the skinny one is a young adult from last year and the fat ones are older ?

The reason I ask is that I've found the small ones to work consistenly better as decoys. Maybe something to do with them being easier to dominate ? Because of their sex and / or maturity ?

I totally agree with you also the smaller ones last longer, I have had one going for around three months now (is this a record!!) :boogie: , it seems to attract both big and small ones.

Even better today it trapped a particularly nasty local that I ahve seen going through my hedges eating the song bird chicks in their next. :clapper:

I totally agree with you also the smaller ones last longer, I have had one going for around three months now (is this a record!!) :boogie: , it seems to attract both big and small ones.

Even better today it trapped a particularly nasty local that I ahve seen going through my hedges eating the song bird chicks in their next. :clapper:

dont know if this works on magpies but blow on the feathers on their breast, if under the feathers its got light downy fluff underneath its a cock if its just bare skin its a hen try that for sexing them and see if theres a pattern