Hot Weather

Can I ask for examples of how you keep your ferret courts/hutches cool when it is warm as it is at the moment? I have pinned a white towel to the front of my hutches and poured water on it to hopefully cool the air down. The area they are in is fine most of the day but does get the sun for an hour or so and unfortunately the way the garden is laid out that's the best place I can put them. Any other ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks, Trish x

Running a fan if i am here incase it starts to rain, wet old bath towels & put them on top off the roofs , them freezer blocks in an old sock placed in the bedding area, remove bedding , failing all the above bring them in the kitchen which is cool all year long :laugh: oh and an umbarella over the main part iff the hutch

Running a fan if i am here incase it starts to rain, wet old bath towels & put them on top off the roofs , them freezer blocks in an old sock placed in the bedding area, remove bedding , failing all the above bring them in the kitchen which is cool all year long :laugh: oh and an umbarella over the main part iff the hutch

Thanks Kay, have put a load of the freezer blocks under the cage and inside now too. Was a bit worried in case they bit them as I don't know what is in them. Have bottles of water freezing at the moment too so will put them in later. Have put a wet towel on the roof now also. Hadn't thought of an umbrella so am off to get one in a minute from the cheap shop down the road. Thanks for those ideas. Trish x

Borrow a big one from the nearest pub Trish :laugh:

Kay, you know me better than that. If I go to the pub it will be hours before I am back home again and drunk in charge of an umbrella I can do without :drinks: :11:

Oh but imagine the fun you would have trying to get the thing up when you got home :laugh::laugh:

APART FROM PUTTING IN FROZEN BOTTLES OF WATER FOR THEM TO LAY AROUND, IN THE CAGES AND INSIDE COURT, I ALSO PUT THE GARDEN HOSE ON "MIST" AND SPRAY THEM DIRECTLY IN THE OUTSIDE COURT, THEY LOVE IT,

sorry, just seen caps lock was on, and aint re typing it

APART FROM PUTTING IN FROZEN BOTTLES OF WATER FOR THEM TO LAY AROUND, IN THE CAGES AND INSIDE COURT, I ALSO PUT THE GARDEN HOSE ON "MIST" AND SPRAY THEM DIRECTLY IN THE OUTSIDE COURT, THEY LOVE IT,

sorry, just seen caps lock was on, and aint re typing it

Yes, had a water fight with them too this afternoon and they won! My ferret courtyard now looks like a childs playground as I got a cheap £2.50 paddling pool from Woolworths and they absolutley went crazy for it. Made me think so I stripped down and got in with them :laugh: We are all now wet but cooled off. Thanks again all for some cracking ideas. Trish x

ive got big fans hanging from the ceiling in their sheds,they all lay flat out under them.tried a paddling pool one year at heckington show while we was camping and i chucked a few plastic balls in they went crazy jumping about and fighting it gathered a big crowd around by amused laughing people

I just freeze plastic two litre juice bottles 3/4 full of water two in each sleeping compartment and spares in the freezer for the next day ,and never have had a problem .But if it does get warmer in the years ahead where going to have to look at keeping the ferrets in shaded areas

I just freeze plastic two litre juice bottles 3/4 full of water two in each sleeping compartment and spares in the freezer for the next day ,and never have had a problem .But if it does get warmer in the years ahead where going to have to look at keeping the ferrets in shaded areas

This is the question i get from a lot of US owners who couldn't dream of leaving ferrets outside.. its just too hot ... we're going to have to do a bit of creative problem solving in the future if the weather keeps up as it is...

I was looking into building a lean to putting the ferret hutches in there then putting that see through material they use on building sites on the front .Tried it on a small scale and it made a differnce