what the strangest cross in a lurcher

I was out to day watch a bloke work his dalmation & weimarner, both keen as mustard, and fit as fleas.

saw the dalmation pick up one rabbit, but both just lacked that extra pace.

The bloke said they would run all day, and are good alround dogs

Just wondered if any ones heard of them in lurchers or what the strangest cross that has worked in a lurcher ?

I believe alsation work quite well, is this true?

a few guys are using hunt. point. retrieve breeds in lurchers breeding, there big, strong, and have fecking endless stamina, altough im to be convinced that a cross of this type would loose the urge to point at a bunnie when its sent down the beam, its something thats been bred into them from the start and cat see them loosing that after one breeding to a g h...

I was out to day watch a bloke work his dalmation & weimarner, both keen as mustard, and fit as fleas.

saw the dalmation pick up one rabbit, but both just lacked that extra pace.

The bloke said they would run all day, and are good alround dogs

Just wondered if any ones heard of them in lurchers or what the strangest cross that has worked in a lurcher ?

I believe alsation work quite well, is this true?

I would not bother, dalmation's can be hard to train :wallbash: and some weimarner's can be a bit

sharp. Thats the ones ive seen, if you were going to use diffrent x go for racey 1x lab now that

would be a good x. :victory:

BIRD

its unlikely that a hpr cross will point at a rabbit in the beam.

they might in daytime give a point on something in cover before running in to catch or flush it but ive seen enough gwp crosses to know that they dont go around pointing at everything.

its not as if collie crosses will round sheep up because thats what collies do or that all bull crosses attack other dogs.

I would say just about every western working dog has been used before.

The strangest I have heard of was perhaps Gordon Setter, Golden Retriever, Standard Poodle, Borzoi, Sheltland Sheepdog and ......

umm and the Chinese Crested Dog

800px-IndyStands.jpg

Just messing! :tongue2:

But I would say just about any dog racy enough with a good bit of brains and preydrive would make a potentially good working dog cross for a lurcher.

:thumbs:

Alsationx's are very handy dogs, a few off here have 'em.

A mate had a Dalmation x a few years back, one hell of a fox dog, he was willful and to fond of a 'tear-up' in the back of the motor for his liking (I hate kick-off merchants too). Nice lookin mutt.

Labrador x's seem a bit rarer, probs due to supposed litter wastage but looking at quality working labs they have a good shape. A mate of mine who penned a few articles in EDRD had one, he wrote under 'Greylab', he's a good mate of Mr1 off here. This dog had a decent reputation around Liverpool, this dog had all the lab qualitys but with (enough) speed and plenty of guts.

If I was after sommat a little 'left of centre', I'd try a Malinois x, from good working stock. Light framed, agile and a very high prey drive, these dogs hit like a train.... could be the very ticket!! ;)

boxer cross, I had two boxers both brothers, one of them had so much prey drive it was scary he killed two of my neighbours cats could not break him of the habit, the other was so fast and full of endurence my dad has him now and even at 9 he can keep up with a working sheepdog. would like to see that cross

boxer cross, I had two boxers both brothers, one of them had so much prey drive it was scary he killed two of my neighbours cats could not break him of the habit, the other was so fast and full of endurence my dad has him now and even at 9 he can keep up with a working sheepdog. would like to see that cross

The Boxerx is very popular OZ. I think the line they use is differnt to what you have in the U.K.

Thet use boxerxs on pigs, and they do a good job :victory: Ithink its boxerx pitx a.c.d. or kelpie.

BIRD

i know of a very well known coursing chap who used to own The Ghost and Tina Turner , has a labrador x greyhound and was matching it last season and winning with it too , he also refused £1500 for it
and his still running well too mate me mate just brought him :thumbs:
i know of a very well known coursing chap who used to own The Ghost and Tina Turner , has a labrador x greyhound and was matching it last season and winning with it too , he also refused £1500 for it

alright mate... my mates got a 3/4 grey 1/4 lab it must be 27 to 28itt bout 20 month now ish. which way is this dog breed?

alright mate... my mates got a 3/4 grey 1/4 lab it must be 27 to 28itt bout 20 month now ish. which way is this dog breed?

aint got a clue , i just know its a lab x grey aint sure if its 1st cross or 3/4 or 5/8 3/8 ???????

all i know is its lethal on long ears