WHITE LURCHERS

Guest knocavoeboy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree blood and scars do show a lot more on white dogs as they do on all light coloured dogs and thats why i carry stuff to clean my dogs after they've made a kill. the bleeding usually stops pretty quick and wound powder is great for helping to dry and hide cuts on white dogs simply because its white, it doesnt disguise so well on a dark coloured dog.

scars cannot be helped when working dogs but once healed they could of accured anytime for various reasons if people start asking questions, but in this country people are to quick to jump to conclusions anyway and that is why hunting has got to where it is now.

i suppose there could be good and bad points with all colours like red dogs on fox drives around guns etc but i will work any colour of dog in any situation and on any quarry providing the dog is capable of doing the job ahead :)

Guest Nightwalker
i think anybody with normal eyesight could spot a lurcher at a good distance what ever colour it was, i know i could.outlines, shapes, and movement register imediatley with anyone and if someone is watching or looking for someone with a dog the chances are they will spot what they are looking for anyhow.

how often do we spot deer, hares foxes etc at great distances ? all of which are dark in colour.

i think it could be a slight disadvantage (if you dont want to be seen) having a white dog when out at night, but as i said earlier if your out with the lurcher at night your probably lamping and a lamp can be seen from miles away :)

The one thing right about what you have said Lucky is that very dark dogs show up at a distance just like very light dogs and its for that reason that I wont have either a white or a black dog. I do a lot of mooching around in the daytime and particularly at dawn and dusk and my latest deerhound X bitch who has a blue/yellow brindle coat is the ultimate stealth dog almost invisible from a distance against any background, including when moving and impossible to see unless centrally in a lamp beam from dusk on. Despite being 29" she is much harder to spot than a roe or munty etc. It may be a small advantage but it is an important one if you go places you arent welcome in the day or at dawn/dusk, and in the past I have had to hide from unwanted attention in hedges and small woods etc - easy with a brindle or fawn, much more difficult with a white or black dog.

has anyone ever dyed a dogs hair?

possibly if u could get a dye that wont cause issues, then u could colour your dog whatever....

as for injuries etc, where i go ur lucky to see another car all night, hell u might not even see one for days at a time

some of the best luchers ive seen have been white. but got to agree with night walker, brindles are just as invisible as real tree just look at rambos bitch.

i wouldnt own one unlees they reversed the ban .

Guest dondog

My last lurcher was mainly white pied merle 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie pictured on the left .And it never effected his catching ability ,by the time any prey had seen him it was too late for them.

But you can't argue that they are easy to see by people and with the law as it stands ,it is now a big disadvantage attracting attention from anti arse holes. :realmad:

Guest Robbie Morran

possibly if u could get a dye that wont cause issues, then u could colour your dog whatever....

as for injuries etc, where i go ur lucky to see another car all night, hell u might not even see one for days at a time

SV dyed his white and pretended it was mine :11: :11: I told him it takes more than white dye to get one this good :whistle: :whistle: :D

:whistle:

SV dyed his white and pretended it was mine :11: :11: I told him it takes more than white dye to get one this good :whistle: :whistle: :D

:whistle:

haha

im going to look at a couple of pups today, both are the yellow style old kangaroo dog, the line goes back 60 years from what the guy told me, it started out on the other side of australia and he brought them over here when he moved

he said he used to knock the brindle ones on the head to when they were born, till the kids figured it out

haha

im going to look at a couple of pups today, both are the yellow style old kangaroo dog, the line goes back 60 years from what the guy told me, it started out on the other side of australia and he brought them over here when he moved

he said he used to knock the brindle ones on the head to when they were born, till the kids figured it out

would be interested in seing some pics of them disturbed.

or parents of them if you bring your camera with you.

very interested in that type of dog.