Chocolate labs

Hi all. I am going to be getting a gun dog in the near future and have decided on a lab. I like chocolate labs but I am sure I have heard that they dont make very good workers. Is this correct? Is there a reason why most people Ive seen have black labs? Thanks for your help.

Trust me ive go one hes the worst gundog in the world but an amazing guard dog he pinned a man to the floor when he gave my mum a hug personally i would go for a black or golden .

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of the top Lab people will not give house room to a chocolate. There is I think something in their genes which makes them a little different.

I just regard them like Flatcoats, perfectly capable of being a really good dog, but prone to acting up a bit. The type of owner/trainer who is embarrassed when the dog messes about, sticks to blacks and yellows. If you are like me and have a sense of humour, then take on a choc. When picking up on a local shoot, my wife is often asked "is that the dog you worked last week"? This is because of the way they work really well one week, and the next they mess about. You just get over it and ask yourself, did I miss something when training that exercise. Near the last shoot in February, our old dog was sent for a pheasant, and came back with a "stiff as a board" rabbit. My wife just accepts it gracefully, has a good old laugh with everyone else, then sends her back for the correct retrieve. So come on you choc owners, train with care and work them with a sense of humour, enjoy your days out with your dogs.