breeding ferrets

just for those that wanted to be kept upto date on what was happening, yesterday I seperated the hobs, being at home of a daytime as I work nights, gives me lots of time watching the ferts, yesterday I noticed one of the snipped hobs, getting a bit too over excited with a kitt, It actually looked like he was trying to mate it, as small as they are, shit Ive got pervey ferts :icon_redface:

anyway, told my missus, and kept an eye on them throughout the day, arond 8.30pm one of the snipped hobs was in the outside box, that had the jills/castrated hob and kitts in, the castrated hob "buster" looked like he was trying to remove the kitts from the box, to avoid the snipped hob, but at the same time, the mum, "brenda" was trying to put them back in, to a point they were having a tug of war with a kitt (it's ok) so made the decession to seperate them, buster has gone in with a caged jill that I think is having a phantom pregnancy, and the two snipped hobs have been confined to the indoor part of court, leaving the three jills and 12 kitts outside with a nesting box, checked when I got in from work this morning, and all seems fine

so suming the events up, Im wondering if the advice of "take the hobs away" may not stem from them instantly killing the kitts, but more from the fact, that once jill kitts start smelling like jills, a hob within the same cage, would/could start trying to "mate" with it,and biting the scruff of neck would kill it alone

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest on the hill
just for those that wanted to be kept upto date on what was happening, yesterday I seperated the hobs, being at home of a daytime as I work nights, gives me lots of time watching the ferts, yesterday I noticed one of the snipped hobs, getting a bit too over excited with a kitt, It actually looked like he was trying to mate it, as small as they are, shit Ive got pervey ferts :icon_redface:

anyway, told my missus, and kept an eye on them throughout the day, arond 8.30pm one of the snipped hobs was in the outside box, that had the jills/castrated hob and kitts in, the castrated hob "buster" looked like he was trying to remove the kitts from the box, to avoid the snipped hob, but at the same time, the mum, "brenda" was trying to put them back in, to a point they were having a tug of war with a kitt (it's ok) so made the decession to seperate them, buster has gone in with a caged jill that I think is having a phantom pregnancy, and the two snipped hobs have been confined to the indoor part of court, leaving the three jills and 12 kitts outside with a nesting box, checked when I got in from work this morning, and all seems fine

so suming the events up, Im wondering if the advice of "take the hobs away" may not stem from them instantly killing the kitts, but more from the fact, that once jill kitts start smelling like jills, a hob within the same cage, would/could start trying to "mate" with it,and biting the scruff of neck would kill it alone

lol hobs can be very dopey sometimes :D

my mate bred last season and he took the hob away and gave the jill nesting and plenty of food and water and just left her to it for about a month with no handleing just water and rabbit but she still ate kits.the vet said it was because she felt endangered. is this allways the case? im not sure

my mate bred last season and he took the hob away and gave the jill nesting and plenty of food and water and just left her to it for about a month with no handleing just water and rabbit but she still ate kits.the vet said it was because she felt endangered. is this allways the case? im not sure

no idea, but tell your mate, if he's not going to handle a ferret for a month, he should'ent be keeping them :wallbash: