dont despear

at this time of year, we normally see post's from members saying, the jill has eaten the kitts, and lots of replies on "reasons"

I think, the jills know best,

I had one of my young jills, due her litter yesterday, but on the 40th day, noticed she was making some right weird noises, and spending lots of time near the "shit corner" she then went on to drop/pass an embryo, eat the afterbirth, and leave it there, of course all this hapopened with me watching, I removed the kitt (still in sac) and removed the sac myself, trying to get the kitt breathing, twice I popped it into the nest area, only for her to gently pick it up, and put it back in the corner.

I therefore presumed it was a young inexperienced jill, and that was that, shit happens,

yet yesterday I was approaching the cage, hearing tiny squeaks, and today, more sqeaks, have yet to look to see how many, although this jill is friendly and I dont think she would desert if I looked, have decieded to let her get on with it for a week.

so, am now a firm beliver, that if this happens in the future, they know more than we do, its not because they are bloodthirsty monsters

now a question, needing an answer,

can the birth of a litter be spread out over "days" or should it all be same day"

I remember seeing posts, where a jill has had the first kitt, then the next day been taken to a vets, and the passed dead kitts

now Im a beliver in let nature get on with it,

my jill as stated, first kitt still born, second day (41 days) had second kitt, then no more, but still looked pregnant, but also looked healthy, checked this morning and have 4 kitts

can the birth of a litter be spread out over "days" or should it all be same day"

I remember seeing posts, where a jill has had the first kitt, then the next day been taken to a vets, and the passed dead kitts

my jill as stated, first kitt still born, second day (41 days) had second kitt, then no more, but still looked pregnant, but also looked healthy, checked this morning and have 4 kitts

I believe in nature being the best way too, and yeah the mum of lots of species seem to just know when something isn't right and either end it .. or like in your case, dispose of it because she just knew ....

as to the spread out birthing thing... i was told recently ( admittedly i didn't know the person from Adam so i cant garentee the source) that if you wanted a small litter leave the jill in with the hob for 24 hours, 3 days for a bigger litter etc... IF this is so... could it be possible for different times of gestation? ie.. the first kit was born of the first coupling, the next bunch of a second or third ? Is this possible ??

Edited by lorelei0922

I believe in nature being the best way too, and yeah the mum of lots of species seem to just know when something isn't right and either end it .. or like in your case, dispose of it because she just knew ....

as to the spread out birthing thing... i was told recently ( admittedly i didn't know the person from Adam so i cant garentee the source) that if you wanted a small litter leave the jill in with the hob for 24 hours, 3 days for a bigger litter etc... IF this is so... could it be possible for different times of gestation? ie.. the first kit was born of the first coupling, the next bunch of a second or third ? Is this possible ??

Heather do you mean like cats can be pregnant at the same time by different tom cats ?

Heather do you mean like cats can be pregnant at the same time by different tom cats ?

Exactly.. obviously that doesn't happen with our ferrets cause who would be silly enough to leave two whole hobs in with a jill at that time eh? but perhaps if they are left in for days instead of hours.. there is a chance that it fertilizes different eggs at different times and hense the kits could be born a lil later? obviously there are multiple eggs... because you get multiple kits.. so could some not get fertilized the first mating ?

• 3 weeks later...

just to update this, there were infact only 5 kitts (6 if you count the stillborn)

but as I was trying to be as quick as poss on looking, I probably counted one twice, anyhow here's a couple of pictures, taken yesterday,

post-5267-1210214755.jpg

post-5267-1210214766_thumb.jpg

post-5267-1210214779_thumb.jpg