Guard Dog

PS Who said Geese? What about if Mr Red is about. :whistling:

Geese make a racket if something or someone comes round during the night. My girlfriends parents live on a smallholding, they keep geese and the foxes dont touch them. Though they have lost a lot of other poultry to foxes.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ocs1867
PS Who said Geese? What about if Mr Red is about. :whistling:

Geese make a racket if something or someone comes round during the night. My girlfriends parents live on a smallholding, they keep geese and the foxes dont touch them. Though they have lost a lot of other poultry to foxes.

I'm sure one of the Lurchers will make short work of the Goose.

Read this:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=15473

Hi gary there have been some good suggestions, i have personally had experience with german shepherds, rottie x bulls, and a mastiff/bull which i have at the moment, all of which have been great guards and have been more than adequate for the job. In my opinion the main thing is that you find people that are breeding from HEALTHY n good temperment stock which are bred to work as guards. Theres alot of options out there just the matter of which would suite you more, just look around well before you make your final decision.

I hope that helps some.

Fram

Guest ocs1867
The GSD is good, but this beast would be even more off putting to a theif.

They belong to the owner of the house im renting at the moment. The GSD has proven his worth more than once, this dog is young, but as mean as they come.

Both do their job as guard dogs very well.

That is a cracker what type of dog is it mate?

I defy anyone to tangle with a Bull Mastiff that does its job well: they are horribly powerful and mean business all the way: plus they are BIG b*ggers!

Sadly though, anyone seriously wanting to steal and who comes knowing what they will meet in the line of guard dogs will stop at nothing: what's a dead dog to a thief? Though to be honest you don't hear of that happening that often do you: I'd still keep a guard dog and up the security too.

A few people always point out that a thief will not be stopped by a guard dog because they could 'just shoot it'. Ive heard this said a few times on forums in the past. And it is true to a point a suppose but like sky-cat said its not very heard of and also even if the burglar/attacker/thief was armed then he would have to be bloody quick at gettin hid gun out, aiming and firing before a good guard dog was ragging him like a little bunny :-)

Im a fan of the cane corso and presa canario breeds but i also like alot of the crosses that are about, like the presa/cane corso, and that mastiff/rotty above is a crackin dog.

Gaz

Seen a few good German Shepherd and its what we have always had about to gaurd,...But the last dog we had was an Akita and he was a great gaurd dog

The thing about him is that he wouldnt really bark if anyone was about at first we thought he wasnt going to be any good but after getting one of the young lads to try and climb into the kennels he was having none of it,...he just watched and growled untill the boys feet hit the ground then he make a charge for him and luckly for him the lad managed make it out unharmed,...May not be what alot of people are looking for in a gaurd but for us he was perfect as there is no houses or that near the kennels

Here is the big fella here was gave to us for free but no longer with us :thumbdown:

kennel4.jpg