GOOD BITCHES

Guest pip

TALKING TO A MATE TONIGHT ABOUT GOOD BITCHES,FEW AND FAR BETWEEN,WHATS UP?WHY DO LADS INSIST ON BREEDING OF MEDIOCRE BITCHES YET EXPECT 100% DOGS?

IF THE BITCH IS NT WORKING TO THE SAME STANDARD AS THE DOG WHY BREED?

ANY EXPLANATIONS FOR THIS MIND SET??

Pip I have noticed over the yrs the decline in the quality of bitches in N S & Nuttal lines. I have spoken to a few good digging men who keep these lines and most said the same. THEY CANT GET DECENT STRONG DIGGING BITCHES FROM THESE LINES. Over the yrs I have bred good strong dogs but never get strong bitchs most come small, and very few make 100%. WHY SHOULD THAT BE.

If you breed tight for long enough, the females size will decrease.

A friend has racing pigeons and by breeding close he can get the cock birds nigh on perfect, peas in a pod. But the hens get smaller & smaller each breeding.

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT TOO SPINDEROLA BUT A LOT OF THE DOGS I HAVE IN MIND ARENT TIGHT BRED :hmm:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hunting001zy9.jpg

The bitch on the left is one of the strongest bitches ive owned .Started off very hard ,got a few medals ,then steadied down at the age of five years !The bitch on the right is waiting to see something yet but has developed the bad habit of marking a hole vocally but not wanting to enter .Its immaturity and will hopefully be ironed out by next season .She is also a strong bitch ,as it should be .

I HAD A DOG DONE THAT TOO MATE ,I STOPPED TALKING TO HIM ,NO ENCOURAGEMENT OR ANYTHING HEAR THE BURROW THEN ONE DAY HE RUN IN AND KILLED A 3/4 GREW FOX IN ABOUT 10MINS,SINCE THAT TIME AND FROM TALKING TO MB OF HAWES I DON T SPEAK TO ANY DOGS WHEN THEY RE WORKING,IF THEY LL GO THEY LL GO WITH OR WITHOUT ME TALKING. :D

A BITCH DOESN T HAVE TO BIG TO BE GOOD,THE POINT AT THE BEGINNING WAS THAT PEOPLE ARE FINDING IT INCREASINGLY MORE DIFFICULT TO FIND/BREED "GOOD" BITCHES,SIZE IS ALSO A FACTOR AS THEY ARE GETTING SMALLER TOO AND FELLAS ARE HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING PRACTICAL SIZED BITCHES THAT WON T BE BULLIED IN A BURROW............AS EASILY ANYHOW.

ALSO IF THE BITCHES ARE BEGINNING TO SUFFER IN SIZE AND QUALITY THEN HOW LONG BEFORE THIS HAS A KNOCK ON EFFECT ON THE DOGS?

Edited by pip

i actually think this is nosense mate, from what ive been seeing, judging, breeding, digging to, on the whole the stamp of the working terrier is getting bigger, thats dogs and bitches. my prference is i dont like dogs i cant span, as a gerneral rule the country that i work, they wont do the job. there are very few lines of strong type dogs that i couldnt span with 3 hands,let alone 2. im aposed to this increase in size and belive there is nothing worng with a good compact terrier that can get around easily but has the right breeding and attitude to do the job. it obviosuly depends on your work style and sport but as a good all round alot of these lakey types, bull types, are simply too big.

perhaps if the smaller bitches that are being thrown were given the work they deserve and not bullied out the way by there macho "ive got the ultimate strong dog" owners then more game would be taken in more style, the bitches would be tested more, and a better line with ultimatly better bitches would be produced.

but maybe thats all becuase i like a small type, one that can do the job and be used 6 days a week.

wink ;)

YOUR ALWAYS PICKING ON ME WINKHOUND YOU PLONKER :tongue2:

THE BURROWS IN OUR COUNTRY ARE GENERALLY BIG,I D SAY IM AGAINST THE SMALL TYPE CRAZE,THERES MORE GOOD SMALL BITCHES THAN THERE IS GOOD BIG BITCHES AND THERE ARE FEWER GOOD BITCHES ....

WHEN YOUR JUDGING HAVE A LOOK ROUND AND IMAGINE THE DOGS BEING JUDGED DRIVING AND GIVING GROUND AND LOSING GROUND AND ALL THE BUMPING AND ROUGH AND TUMBLE OF A DIG ,THEN IMAGINE THEM IN A BIGGER TUBED BURROW WITH FEW STOP ENDS.YOU KNOW MATE THAT THE MAJORITY OF THESE WEE THING COULDN T WORK LIKE THAT FOR HOURS ON END AS THEY WAY THEY CARRY THEMSELVES GIVES IT AWAY THEY RE NOT MADE FOR THE JOB

ALSO MATE THAT WEE DOG YOUR ON ABOUT COULDN T DO THE JOB 2 DAYS A WEEK NEVER MIND 6 WITH THE RIGHT QUARRY IN THE WRONG HOLE.

AND YOU KNOW THAT.

Edited by pip

Id rather have bigger sized brains in a terrier myself like . :) Good boned terriers dont need to be big bodied but have the weight behind them when fit ..Oversized bully stuff in my eyes are fit for f all.too many of that type getting about bringing there own faults with them

:tongue2: i know excatlly what your saying pip and the point your trying to make just i think some of the lads on here may miss read it.

i still say they dont have to be that big to do the job, just have the skills. perhaps a smaller dog has to learn teh skills faster to get through, whereas actually the bigger dogs od not do the job so well, but it would appaer they do beacsue they can chuck there weight around, so when these are evnetually breed from and throw smaller stuff it is going to be less able. if that makes sense.

i still like a line that throws strong hardish dogs and small softish bitches, and if i can get them level at that then im content :)

wink ;)

ITS LINES LIKE THAT THAT STARTED THIS THREAD I RECKON PERSONNALLY THAT THE BITCHES ARE THE BAROMETER OF THE LINE,AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOU LL BE PRODUCING NICE SOFT DOGS TOO.

IM AGAINST BULL IN THEM TOO AND THESE BIG ENORMOUS THINGS AREN T PRACTICAL AS THEY CAN T MOVE A LOT OF THE TIME AND MOSTLY WHEN THEY REACH THE QUARRY THEY GET A DOING CAUSE THEY CAN T MANOUVRE,LOOKS GOOD MAYBE ,LIKE THEY VE DONE THE JOB BUT THEY DID NT WORK IT JUST BLOCKED IT.THE ANIMALS IM ON ABOUT ARE STRONG MUSCULAR AND TERRIER LOOKING NOT SMALL SHORT AND YORKIE LOOKING IN STATURE.

hunting001zy9.jpg

I HAD A DOG DONE THAT TOO MATE ,I STOPPED TALKING TO HIM ,NO ENCOURAGEMENT OR ANYTHING HEAR THE BURROW THEN ONE DAY HE RUN IN AND KILLED A 3/4 GREW FOX IN ABOUT 10MINS,SINCE THAT TIME AND FROM TALKING TO MB OF HAWES I DON T SPEAK TO ANY DOGS WHEN THEY RE WORKING,IF THEY LL GO THEY LL GO WITH OR WITHOUT ME TALKING. :D

You are right mate and that will be the next step :victory:

ITS LINES LIKE THAT THAT STARTED THIS THREAD I RECKON PERSONNALLY THAT THE BITCHES ARE THE BAROMETER OF THE LINE,AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOU LL BE PRODUCING NICE SOFT DOGS TOO.

IM AGAINST BULL IN THEM TOO AND THESE BIG ENORMOUS THINGS AREN T PRACTICAL AS THEY CAN T MOVE A LOT OF THE TIME AND MOSTLY WHEN THEY REACH THE QUARRY THEY GET A DOING CAUSE THEY CAN T MANOUVRE,LOOKS GOOD MAYBE ,LIKE THEY VE DONE THE JOB BUT THEY DID NT WORK IT JUST BLOCKED IT.THE ANIMALS IM ON ABOUT ARE STRONG MUSCULAR AND TERRIER LOOKING NOT SMALL SHORT AND YORKIE LOOKING IN STATURE.

well 25/30 years of breeding i can trace back hasnet seen the dogs getting softer or the bitches getting softer.... you breed for a standard from a standard. the problem comes when shit is bred to shit (the majority of messer dogs) and you end up not knowing what is what or what to expect..... these are the dogs sold as hard digging dogs, then bred from again by another fool to the game. it is not beacuse softer (when i say soft i mean bayer mixer types) bitches form good proven lines are being used, its becuase poepl are breeding from untested useless mongrels...... the best any terrierman can do is stay clear of these lines, work and breed what you know and if you really need to go else where for a bitch, make sure its off someone whos ethics and standards you agree with.

i would say harder bigger bitchs are a relativly new species(in the volumes you see them now), the locator system has aloud the increase in silent bigger dogs to explode, and as someone who is not impressed by scarage or the people on the other ends of leads (showman) i am aware that it wasnet that long ago that just as much (if not more) game was taken with what now would be considered soft type bitches.

i aslo agree with simonman, credit where credit is due, but it dosent take a big hard monster of a bitch to be a good stayer or to get results, infact imho, if its 6 days a week, far from it.

wink ;)