First shotgun

I am looking to buy my first shotgun and probrably will be buying a lanber.I need it for game and clay and was wondering if this is a good choice.Is it also a good idea to buy new or can i get a decent second hand one.

I have a Lanber, it's done all I ask of it for years. Think it was the late 80's I bought it, and apart from a couple of firing pins and a spring, it has been reliable. Would I have another? Yes, but I would check it out carefully. I know two people who have bought them recently, a 12 bore and a 20 bore.

Fresh from the factory, you couldn't break them to load up. the chap with the 12 is pushing the top lever and breaking it against his knee.

The 20 was bought by a workmate for his daughter. She just could not use it on her own,so we stoned the pivots on the barrels and action. Then put valve grinding paste on it and two of us worked it until it opened reasonably well. You just should not have to do things like this, budget price gun or not. Remember also, you can get a used Beretta 686 for new Lanber money. This is not supposed to be a anti-Lanber post,although reading it back,it sounds like one. As I said,I would have another,but check it out carefully!!

I have a Lanber, it's done all I ask of it for years. Think it was the late 80's I bought it, and apart from a couple of firing pins and a spring, it has been reliable. Would I have another? Yes, but I would check it out carefully. I know two people who have bought them recently, a 12 bore and a 20 bore.

Fresh from the factory, you couldn't break them to load up. the chap with the 12 is pushing the top lever and breaking it against his knee.

The 20 was bought by a workmate for his daughter. She just could not use it on her own,so we stoned the pivots on the barrels and action. Then put valve grinding paste on it and two of us worked it until it opened reasonably well. You just should not have to do things like this, budget price gun or not. Remember also, you can get a used Beretta 686 for new Lanber money. This is not supposed to be a anti-Lanber post,although reading it back,it sounds like one. As I said,I would have another,but check it out carefully!!

thank you for the advice

Iv got a beretta 686 and thats done me fine for both game and clay shooting and i bought that as a 10 year old second hand one. I know and have shot with a couple of people who have both got Lanbers and they were both pretty happy with those two (both 12bores)

Edited by Will H

I have shot two Lanber Sporters a 28" and 26", both shot and pointed well, they would do you well at game and sporting clays(bit more tricky for trap).

Even so, if i were you i would certainly have a good look at the second hand Berettas and the Browning/Winchester/Miroku family. You could pick up a bargain on a second hand gun, ending up with a better gun.

I am looking to buy my first shotgun and probrably will be buying a lanber.I need it for game and clay and was wondering if this is a good choice.Is it also a good idea to buy new or can i get a decent second hand one.

Hiya,

I bought myself a new Lanber Sporter Delux at the end of Feb. It's my first shot gun as i only got my ticket a week before buying it! The gun is superb it fits me perfect and shoots like a dream. I went for the 30" version and i love it to bits and was pretty chuffed with the price too (£600 with free gun slip). It handles perfect in the field when pigeon/rough shooting which is my main use for it, although it does feel rather lengthy on the skeet range. Having said that im getting consitent scores with a PB of 19 (i'm still a learner ;-)).

I really like the multi-choke and selective trigger, surprisingly usefull at times. It comes in a smart ABS case too which is another nice touch. I would seriously recommend this gun and i think you will be pleased if you go for one it does all that you ask of it. Im taking it out in the morning with my mate and his ferrets hopefully to bolt some pesky wabbits!! i can't wait, just hope the weather picks up a bit.

Good Shooting,

Chris

Hiya,

I bought myself a new Lanber Sporter Delux at the end of Feb. It's my first shot gun as i only got my ticket a week before buying it! The gun is superb it fits me perfect and shoots like a dream. I went for the 30" version and i love it to bits and was pretty chuffed with the price too (£600 with free gun slip). It handles perfect in the field when pigeon/rough shooting which is my main use for it, although it does feel rather lengthy on the skeet range. Having said that im getting consitent scores with a PB of 19 (i'm still a learner ;-)).

I really like the multi-choke and selective trigger, surprisingly usefull at times. It comes in a smart ABS case too which is another nice touch. I would seriously recommend this gun and i think you will be pleased if you go for one it does all that you ask of it. Im taking it out in the morning with my mate and his ferrets hopefully to bolt some pesky wabbits!! i can't wait, just hope the weather picks up a bit.

Good Shooting,

Chris

Glad to hear about satisfied, happy Lanber owners. I am one myself as I said before. It is just that two people known to me, having opening problems with their new Lanbers, made me concerned that quality had slipped a bit. Hopefully,it's just a coincidence??

Anyone shoot a side by side any more???

Yeah, I shoot a couple for different things, a Hammergun for the occasional pheasant shoot and my Baikal for vermin, i like shooting with both of them especially the Hammergun, A Westley Richards 12. Oh and a S/S Belgian .410.

Cheers

ss06

Edited by sportingshooter06