CLEANING DOGS TEETH

Guest greengrass123

Guest buster321c

My bitch has a carrot a day and it does the job on her teeth , also a vet told me its has a natural wormer in it .Plus i would rather give her a carrot than anything else as a treat ,its good for her and she loves them ! :thumbs:

On raw carcases and bones mine never need their molars (back teeth) doing, but I find they still get a thin line of plaque along the top of their canines from time to time. I just scrape it off VERY carefully using an old blunt veg knife to prise it loose. Go from the gums down and use tiny movements, keeping the tension in your hand so the knife or deplaquer doesn't slip and go into the gum on the jaw below or above depending on whether your'e doing top or bottom teeth.

As Sky cat says raw meat and bones will keep them tip top. I use a metal nail file ( the type with the curved tip to descale the canines in the same way. Your wasting your money on these commercial dentarasks (sp?) etc. Get some bones from butcher, It'll likely only cost a few pennies donation to the charity box and they do your a hell of a lot more good.

Edited by Meerihunter
Guest Ditch_Shitter

Marrow bones will wear the teeth down prematurely and could lead to enamel loss allowing disease in. Watch out for that.

This is why I use Lamb. Softer bone and the teeth pass through it. Keeps them sharp, clean and healthy. Like this:

post-3041-1208094943.jpg

I find that a mix of different bones help clean different teeth. But even I haven't solved the canine teeth problem. For an idea of the range of bones I just at the moment. Sometimes I give long bones (unless they're from old beasts they're not too much of a problem and I usually get given sheep bones anyway), sometimes beef rib (I believe that the membranes being pulled off help to floss the dog's teeth), and sometimes spine. My hound has only just started to really eat the vertebrae recently. He has lovely teeth except for the fine line on the canines. He also gets bones within meat such as chicken wings. And I hope one day to be able to give him whole rabbit again.

We were given a bone from the petshop once. It chipped his tooth and then was promptly thrown away. Raw fresh bones only since.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
We were given a bone from the petshop once. It chipped his tooth and then was promptly thrown away. Raw fresh bones only since.

:hmm: One of those bloody Roasted Marrow Bones, I expect?

i too feed raw meat and bones, dogs teeth are in good nick

one thing but, my dogs chipped his tooth, i believe its from sheep bones, possibly the leg??? real hard bones they are, not like the ribs etc that they eat happily... its put me off feeding mutton