RETRIEVING

Ive never had trouble gettting a dog to retrieve before but my bitch is 7 months old now

and i just carnt get her to bring back to hand, ive tryed he usual things like bits of food for rewards

but shes never actually brought anything back to hand to give her a reward! any ideas on this

would be appreciated cheers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest smashygadge
one thing i fouind with my first dog is, once he got out killing, he realised that it was not a game..... although his retrieving was a bit shoddy,,,, he usually came in "close enough"

i have the simmilar prob will come close but not to hand i put mine down to age and maybe the dog saying ive worked for this its mine but he is coming round :thumbs:

i dont have a problem with dogs coming within 20 yards and stopping..... its when they feck off to the other end of the field i have a problem with....

id like to know, out the of hundreds of dog men/women out there, actually how many of them get a LURCHER to retrieve to hand....i know there is a few out there, but theres a lot more dogs that wont do it

Guest smashygadge

mine dosnt do that it will like show off around me but thats his prize i suppose he earned it.a freind of mine said he is having that problem in a young one takes of with its kill :thumbs:

i dont have a problem with dogs coming within 20 yards and stopping..... its when they feck off to the other end of the field i have a problem with....

id like to know, out the of hundreds of dog men/women out there, actually how many of them get a LURCHER to retrieve to hand....i know there is a few out there, but theres a lot more dogs that wont do it

I must of been real lucky with my other dogs cuz they have always retrieved to hand! i think thats why its bothering me a liitle she just wount no matter what i try carnt get her to do it. She might do it when i start working her i surpose i will just have to wait and see.thnks for the replys lads :thumbs:

I must of been real lucky with my other dogs cuz they have always retrieved to hand! i think thats why its bothering me a liitle she just wount no matter what i try carnt get her to do it. She might do it when i start working her i surpose i will just have to wait and see.thnks for the replys lads :thumbs:

get it out with other dogs but keep her on the lead for a few runs so she can see what they do then give the other dogs treats for giving it into the hand

get it out with other dogs but keep her on the lead for a few runs so she can see what they do then give the other dogs treats for giving it into the hand

i was always advised to take a young dog out on its own..... not with another dog, because it can start becoming a competition, jealousy etc...

Once i have got my pup upto scratch, i will then and only then, run him with the older dog out the back of the van....... i feel that running them together out the van, will develop this skill a lot quicker than trying to get him to do it on his own.

SOME DOGS WONT RETRIEVE BALLS DUMMIES OR THROWN DEAD RABBITS

BUT ONCE CHASED AND CAUGHT HIS/HER FIRST RABBIT WILL BRING IT STRAIGHT

BACK TO YOU

THERE NOT ALL THE SAME HAD DOGS RETRIEVE DUMMIES ECT ONLY TO TAKE OFF

WITH THE REAL THING

JUST GIVE YOUR PUP TIME AND DONT FORCE THE ISSUSE

It's been good to read this advice. I've got my first lurcher, don't know about working him but guessed I'd need him to retrieve so been trying to work on it. On a good day it's every time for 6 times or more. On a bad he seems to just laugh at me. I try not to ask him to do more than a couple of times. I've also had him doing fine on a dummy but no chance if I try and use a different toy. So it's good to hear that they will sometimes bring one thing back but not another.

It's been good to read this advice. I've got my first lurcher, don't know about working him but guessed I'd need him to retrieve so been trying to work on it. On a good day it's every time for 6 times or more. On a bad he seems to just laugh at me. I try not to ask him to do more than a couple of times. I've also had him doing fine on a dummy but no chance if I try and use a different toy. So it's good to hear that they will sometimes bring one thing back but not another.

just remember, dont bore him.... if your having a "bad day" dont keep going at it, youll make a bad day into a worse day. just move onto something else like a recall to end his "session" on a good note.

I'm not all that experienced but my two lurchers do retrieve to hand. I trained them by doing the training at dinner time and by throwing the dummy then offering a raw chicken wing/rib of lamb. They were hungry and wanted their dinner so they were happy to swap!