which type

Guest basil46
Hi smarty,

For your first dog, I would recomend a Labrador.

These dogs are eager to please and so are easier to train.

They are good at flushing and retrieving so make a good all round gun dog.

Spaniels of all types can be tricky, and are better suited to an experienced trainer.

The better the working pedigree, the easier the dog will be to train to the gun. This said, you don't need a string of FTCH's in the family tree, just make sure it's parents are of good working stock.

Lots of game keepers breed good dogs with no papers which are super, no frills working dogs and will be a lot cheaper than a "posh dog."

Good luck in your serch.

I will be looking for my first gun dog soon. The above was the advise i have been given. An idea i was given was to contact a local shoot, you can get a dog thats been worked for a few years cheaply. Only because it`s been replaced by younger stock. But it`s ready trained.

basil.

Guest basil46
Hi smarty,

For your first dog, I would recomend a Labrador.

These dogs are eager to please and so are easier to train.

They are good at flushing and retrieving so make a good all round gun dog.

Spaniels of all types can be tricky, and are better suited to an experienced trainer.

The better the working pedigree, the easier the dog will be to train to the gun. This said, you don't need a string of FTCH's in the family tree, just make sure it's parents are of good working stock.

Lots of game keepers breed good dogs with no papers which are super, no frills working dogs and will be a lot cheaper than a "posh dog."

Good luck in your serch.

I understand it`s wise to do some homework when choosing a dog or bitch. The last thing you want is a bitch on heat in the middle of the pheasant season, nor do you want a dog that`s to busy sniffing out a bitch on heat. I was given the above advise when i made some enquiries.

basil.

not doubting the logic of buying a already trained dog but i think it would be more rewarding to have trained the dog yourself .

wat would you reccomend people dog or bitch or is it down to personal preference ?

still looking for that spaniel :hmm:

Christ! You cant find what you want on the links above?

Buy a shooting time. loads of ads but if you are after something for nothing then I think you should save up a bit of cash and buy a good quality, kc reg, docked and micro-chipped pup. There is very little money in puppies if they are done right. You can pick up good ESS pups for £350. Not much if it gives you 8-10 years of service.

I`ve only ever owned the one dog,(Brett),- a brindle cross off working Jack Russell/Whippet,parents,which i used as my rough shooting companion.

He outperformed every dog that ever worked alongside him. I had numerous offers for him,especially from Gypsies,and Travelling people,so much so that i never let him out of my sight.

Now whilst not singing boring praises about my past gundog,- exactly what do we want ?

Retriever,

Flushing dog,

Ratting dog,

Fox dog,

Waterfowling dog,

Guard dog,

Rabbitting dog,

Etc,Etc,Etc,

I`ve watched the lads from the foxing groups,and rabbitting groups,and they try all sorts of breeds.

I`ve watched the shotgunners,and they lean towards,pointers, Lab`s,Spaniels, and same crosses.

I`ve seen many mongrel gundogs outperform "by far",the "cast in stone gundog breeds"- and vice,versa.

I honestly believe that a rough shooter who wants a good allround dog should look at the parents hunting abilities,and reputations more than breed,and not spend vast ammounts of money on a pup.

Brett was free to a good home,- he came to mine,and hunted untill he got too old.

Broke my heart when he died of old age,( life eh ?)

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by KMARKSnr

Defo go for a cocker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise & treats for good 'n' a growled no for bad. sooooooo eager to please. 1 hour of mixed exercise from when their about 8 months (every dog is an individual so might be different) and there as calm as a hippy on weed. (apart from when I come in from work then he leaps into my arms tries to climb onto my shoulders whilst licking my face)