Pricing up Dog food

Guest Rabbiteer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once a good supplier is found, feeding your dogs properly can be very cheap. It only struck me the other day just how far a tenner goes on meat and bone.

I' m lucky to have a small slaughterhouse/ butcher nearby, who are great for stuff like chicken carcasses, beef trim, various bones with plenty of meat on and 'pet mince', which has various meats in it, but not minced pets. Christmas time is good for stocking up if you have a big freezer- at the right time, turkey legs are more or less free because most consumers only want the turkey crown nowadays, you can come away with bin bags full of the stuff- good cheap grub for both people and dogs.

Putting in some extra rice, pearl barley or pasta for the dogs when cooking for yourself is a cheap way of stretching feed and introducing a bit of variety. Cheap tinned fish- mackerel, pilchard and so on is good too for variety, but avoid the stuff in brine.

It does take a bit of effort to feed dogs well, but once in the habit of preparing this sort of feed, you hardly notice the time.

Guest little lurcher

i think you can feed dogs good quality food without spending the earth , i think my dogs eat better than me and the kids!!! i get pet mince at 20p lb, a box of approx 30 chicken frames for £5 i collect ones and meat from another butcher as he has to pay to get rid so its a win win situ there , and the meal i use is red mills which is designed to add extras if you need it , i also get salmon heads from fishmonger and veg is whats going , i cook for them 3/4 wekk and raw the other days , plenty of meaty bones helps their teeth too , 12 dogs all fed very well for less than £40 a month

i feed 4 staffs and 3 lurchers costs me nothing really tracked venison all the time or free sacks of 25kg lamb beef pork or chicken lucky really but i do have to do the farmers pest control for nothing..Thats a shame lol lol

If you have a steady amount of edible game then you cant grumble only thing is rabbits are no good as mine wont eat them rather venison or hares really..........

I spend about £30 every other week for 8 dogs at present. Tripe, minced chicken and beef plus chicken/turkey wings.

Butchers pay to have bones taken away so generally if you offer a small amount and make clear its for the dogs they will let you have them fairly cheaply. We get more and more each week from our butcher for less and less - it does help if you support them a little too and buy your meat from them aswell.

Also made friends with the local egg man. We get his damaged eggs for free as long as we collect.

I get 'past their sell by date' veggies free from my local co-op. Raw added the their food every couple of days or so.

money aint a problem with me ..i look at it like this if it costs me 20 quid a week to feed three dogs ...so what ...its what i do ......i buy fresh chicken and good mince eveyweek ..not frozen or offal //...good stuff ...whats 20 quid ...fook all ...or two hours in the boozer ........rather spend it on my dogs than piss it agaisnt a wall ..... :D

Well sed :clapper:

im spending atleast £20 aweek on pedergree chum

im only feeding her pedergree because she wont eat any thing else apart from meat

and ive tried feeding her on meat but costs too much i think i spent £35 a week on just meat

this sounds alot healthier and i am defenatly going to do this

ive been the butchers this morning £1 a carcase hes selling them for

im also looking for a mincer i found one on ebay for £20 will that do or will i have to get a more expensive one to mince the bones

thanks

Edited by andyfoster10
Guest little lurcher

read whats in tinned food mate , really not worth the money honestly, ive used trial and error with my fussy eaters tbh? by feeding a decnt feed you will notice the difference coming from the other end so to speak, far less waste!! i tend to cook my salmon heads with rice and any odd veg around , you certainly see the difference in the coats , even my ferrets have fish , although thats raw

What mincer do you use mate?

IMGP1294.jpg

where could i get one of those micers ???????????????????????how much :thumbs:

Where did you get the mincer ?

It looks more substantial than the other one in the link ie you can bolt it to a work surface.