my rabbit snares

Guest friedrice

Guest friedrice

made my first snares today. made the tealers last week and done some of the wires to go with them today.

all made to the same spec as g waters , i think ?. not sure how many times to rap the wire around eye but i did it ten times.

and made them spun more than the shop ones i got with a cordless drill.

could you please tell me if im doing it right

post-15810-1204835071_thumb.jpg

Wrap the wire round the eye? The way its done on Woodga's dvd you fold the strands of wire over the eye (with the eye in the middle) and then spin it mate. Look good though. I've made about 90 wires but got bored of making tealers after 30, should be enough for what I need though.

Good luck :drink:

made my first snares today. made the tealers last week and done some of the wires to go with them today.

all made to the same spec as g waters , i think ?. not sure how many times to rap the wire around eye but i did it ten times.

The tealer looks a bit long mate, what length did you make it? The brass wire is basically three pieces 45" long folded over the eylet in the middle and spun. when I say 45" that's 22 1/2" finished size.,It looks the business though. :thumbs:

Edited by ianrob

i spin my snares with a cordless drill but i found you have to do it nice and slow so you dont over spin the wire you dont want them spun like wire rope,it looks good tho mate all the best with them :thumbs:

Guest friedrice

The tealer looks a bit long mate, what length did you make it? The brass wire is basically three pieces 45" long folded over the eylet in the middle and spun. when I say 45" that's 22 1/2" finished size.,It looks the business though. :thumbs:

i dont know if its the right way to do it ian but its made out of one pice of wire .and went around the eye 8 to 10 times.

the tealer was long but it was a trial one

i dont know if its the right way to do it ian but its made out of one pice of wire .and went around the eye 8 to 10 times.

the tealer was long but it was a trial one

The tealer completed should measure 9 1/2" top to bottom. The snare should be six strand, ie 3 strands doubled over the eyelet then twisted or spun.

ten and a half inches overall is a good length this cuts out cocking the snare when the grass is a bit longer allowing the loop to sit squarely over the beat . glenn and myself use 12ins tealers in really long standing grass the only thing i can see that needs a bit of work is the number of twist arond the shaft next to the thumb grip apart from that you have made a good tealer well done :thumbs: now get a few more made and get wires on them

firstferretingtrip329.jpg

firstferretingtrip328.jpg

ten and a half inches overall is a good length this cuts out cocking the snare when the grass is a bit longer allowing the loop to sit squarely over the beat . glenn and myself use 12ins tealers in really long standing grass the only thing i can see that needs a bit of work is the number of twist arond the shaft next to the thumb grip apart from that you have made a good tealer well done :thumbs: now get a few more made and get wires on them

firstferretingtrip329.jpg

firstferretingtrip328.jpg

Pleased you're keeping an eye out Woodga, before I make too much of an arse of myself :icon_redface: . You seem to have caught a few in the picture there mate. :icon_eek:

a 9 1/2 inch. tealer will suit your needs very well out in normal grass, a longer tealer is more suitable when snaring in higher grass as it gives you the height , and still retains the striking curve , without elevation . i would suggest that you make five turns of wire around the tealer shaft, when tapping the tealer base into shape , you appear to be striking it to far up, approx. a 1/2 inch up from the base would be better . remember and bevel the grip, then staighten everything into the proper alignment . don,t spin your snarewire at to high a speed , and do what i told you already with the eyelet, you only need to make a six strand snare, of 22 1/2 inches long , do not make your snares , eight or ten strand , as its not needed , as ive said a hundred times i can never fathom out peoples mentality why a snare needs to be any thicker than six strands .

I AGREE SNAREMAN ,

THAT SHED WANTS A GOOD CLEAN OUT ............ WOODGA , GET YER PINNEY ON AND GET CLEANING , :D

IVE A NICE CLEAN CORNER OF MY SHED YOU CAN STORE YER GEAR IN ....... :whistling:

DUCKWING :big_boss:

Guest friedrice

thank you geodie, snareman and woodga for you help. ive take'n in your advice, made my tealars stronger, gave the wire the shirt collar snareman

six strand with a ten " tealar, and the same size noose as snareman says you should have. 7 1/2 by 5 1/2.

i set ten last night and had four rabbits this morning.

heres a pic of the better snare :thumbs:

post-15810-1205087641_thumb.jpg

thank you geodie, snareman and woodga for you help. ive take'n in your advice, made my tealars stronger, gave the wire the shirt collar snareman

six strand with a ten " tealar, and the same size noose as snareman says you should have. 7 1/2 by 5 1/2.

i set ten last night and had four rabbits this morning.

heres a pic of the better snare :thumbs:

Spot on mate... well done