shocking chat to pigeon fanciers!

Guest dog on
my dad has got racing pigeons and he has lost about 10 this week to sparrowhawks thay will take them out in front of you and some of them are just killing them and leaveing them i think hes gitting piss of with them

Flying pigs use a similar method. doh!

Mavphil, Are you saying sparrowhawks don't take pigeons?

GOOD GRIEF! do I have to spell it out? Of course sparrowhawks take pigeons! what they dont do is kill for FUN. Their energy is precious, if they are sated they dont fly, any BOP keeper will tell you they have to be lean to fly. If they leave a kill its because they are have been disturbed by something (usually people or dogs/cats) ,. A pigeon is a good feed for a sparrowhawk and it would not need to feed for a good while after eating one. It is also wise to aware that people have a habit of exaggerating when there own interests ;) are at heart. ;)

OWN INTERESTS are at heart you said it.

Edited by dog on

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dad has got racing pigeons and he has lost about 10 this week to sparrowhawks thay will take them out in front of you and some of them are just killing them and leaveing them i think hes gitting piss of with them

Flying pigs use a similar method. doh!

Mavphil, Are you saying sparrowhawks don't take pigeons?

GOOD GRIEF! do I have to spell it out? Of course sparrowhawks take pigeons! what they dont do is kill for FUN. Their energy is precious, if they are sated they dont fly, any BOP keeper will tell you they have to be lean to fly. If they leave a kill its because they are have been disturbed by something (usually people or dogs/cats) ,. A pigeon is a good feed for a sparrowhawk and it would not need to feed for a good while after eating one. It is also wise to aware that people have a habit of exaggerating when there own interests ;) are at heart. ;)

point taken, but I personally know of a sparrowhawk that was getting into a loft and the ensuing panic and damage was quite something, it did this 3 mornings on the trot, I was called out and such was the carnage I was convinced it was a polecat, (we have a lot around here), I proofed the loft to keep out anything from the ground, but it kept happening. The chap would open his trap before setting off for work in the morning, when he came home at lunch time the pigeons were nervous wrecks, and usually a dead part eaten bird in the loft, I sat there on the one morning out of sight and was amazed to see a sparrowhawk come in and go straight through the trap and start to wreak havoc before I burst in and frightened it off. When I told the chap what it was he wanted to know what I could do about it, "nothing" says I. But could you really blame him if he did something about it, I would'nt.

Yep, that's quite possible. The BOP having gets in finds itself in a completely unatural situation, its instinct is to kill as many birds as poss, foxes and even badgers are known to do the same (the science bods call it fight or flight theory) .At the end of the day its a situation created by human hands! Fanciers can secure their birds but it often means less freedom for the pigeons to come and go as they please.

Guest dog on
Im a bit wooried to go pigeon shooting now, in case i shoot some old blokes prized pigeonLOL Jack Duckworth from corination street.

Are racing pigeons white and would they be hanging around with normal wood pigeons.

as you say most people who go pigeon shooting go out to shoot wood pigeons and if any one cant tell the difference between the two shouldnt be allowed to own a gun let allowed to use it ,and also the rspb have installed false nest sites for peregrines [fact] and just look at the decline in song birds and say its natural balance if all pigeon men /women kept there pigeons in when the peregrines are breeding half of them would starve to death as they wouldnt find enough food to feed there young

i find that utter bullshite there "just look at the decline of song birds"! song birds get taken by aload of different prey, mainly cats!

there more pigeons in towns and cities to keep peregrines in food for a life time

the arsepca ought to do proper surveys of the natural balance

its the arsepca who are trying to ban any form of hunting including falconry

FALSE NEST SITES? and what does a false nest site look like? Pregrines will nest on a ledge of almost any high cliff, building, pylon etc. do they install artificial ledges? bollocks.

NO wooden boxes one on tower by old severn bridge verry sucessful put there on purpose pigeon training point

Edited by dog on

i was sad to read one poster , saying that he hopes pigeon racing dies out, we keep hearing that we should keep our traditions going in this country { ferreting hunting} etc, so why not pigeon racing ??

i feel we are missing the oppatunety to encourage youngsters to look after stock, respect them, care for them, rather than the on off culture of the tv or pc, no commitment on their part, no cleaning out,no joy of birth, no sadness of death.

i do not want to stop anyone enjoying there sport, whatever that maybe, yet some post on here and

slate pigeon fanciers, they tar us all with the same brush. i enjoy racing in the summer and hunting in

the winter, all suits me just fine, i say to you maybe let the kids keep a few birds in a small hutch, let them marvel as the eggs hatch and then the youngsters fledge, laugh at their first attempts at flight.

the sport of racing pigeons is indeed having a hard time of it of late, what with bird flu etc, and some people who make there living through the sport are suffering at the moment, the studs, the transporters of racing birds, suppliers of equipment etc , and defra tell us to lock up our birds and stop racing, yet wild bird movement cannot be stopped.

pigeon racing has allways been a sport of the working man, the same as lurchers terriers and ferrets

enjoy your sport but let me enjoy mine :feck:

i was sad to read one poster , saying that he hopes pigeon racing dies out, we keep hearing that we should keep our traditions going in this country { ferreting hunting} etc, so why not pigeon racing ??

i feel we are missing the oppatunety to encourage youngsters to look after stock, respect them, care for them, rather than the on off culture of the tv or pc, no commitment on their part, no cleaning out,no joy of birth, no sadness of death.

i do not want to stop anyone enjoying there sport, whatever that maybe, yet some post on here and

slate pigeon fanciers, they tar us all with the same brush. i enjoy racing in the summer and hunting in

the winter, all suits me just fine, i say to you maybe let the kids keep a few birds in a small hutch, let them marvel as the eggs hatch and then the youngsters fledge, laugh at their first attempts at flight.

the sport of racing pigeons is indeed having a hard time of it of late, what with bird flu etc, and some people who make there living through the sport are suffering at the moment, the studs, the transporters of racing birds, suppliers of equipment etc , and defra tell us to lock up our birds and stop racing, yet wild bird movement cannot be stopped.

pigeon racing has allways been a sport of the working man, the same as lurchers terriers and ferrets

enjoy your sport but let me enjoy mine :feck:

Well said. :clapper: My uncle keeps pigeons, he dosn't race them any more but he used to.

Im a bit wooried to go pigeon shooting now, in case i shoot some old blokes prized pigeonLOL Jack Duckworth from corination street.

Are racing pigeons white and would they be hanging around with normal wood pigeons.

as you say most people who go pigeon shooting go out to shoot wood pigeons and if any one cant tell the difference between the two shouldnt be allowed to own a gun let allowed to use it ,and also the rspb have installed false nest sites for peregrines [fact] and just look at the decline in song birds and say its natural balance if all pigeon men /women kept there pigeons in when the peregrines are breeding half of them would starve to death as they wouldnt find enough food to feed there young

i find that utter bullshite there "just look at the decline of song birds"! song birds get taken by aload of different prey, mainly cats!

there more pigeons in towns and cities to keep peregrines in food for a life time

the arsepca ought to do proper surveys of the natural balance

its the arsepca who are trying to ban any form of hunting including falconry

FALSE NEST SITES? and what does a false nest site look like? Pregrines will nest on a ledge of almost any high cliff, building, pylon etc. do they install artificial ledges? bollocks.

NO wooden boxes one on tower by old severn bridge verry sucessful put there on purpose pigeon training point

One just gone up on the Tamar bridge too, I supose the wind blew it up there.

• 3 weeks later...
we are pigeon races and we also have bop so please don't tar us all with the same brush. we look like this you rear your young birds .and yes it happens they get killed by bop,wires,cats,ect its called nature nothing you can do about it.Its all part of the sport.but i can honestly say i have raced pigeons for 15 years and i have never heard of the paste you are talking about .And would never harm a bird of prey tracey g

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Pigeon Fanciers the world over will kill birds of prey by any means at their disposal. Always have, always will.

See, they like racing their pigeons. " Born to Fly! ". So the government steps in and makes a law which makes it Illegal to kill birds of prey? So what?! These guys are " Racers! ". Thus they consider themselves eligable for self elevation above the tawdry laws which may effect lesser mortals; " F*ck the Ban! ". They'll damn well kill birds of prey regardless of what stupid laws there may be. I've even seen them discussing their own - perfectly illegal - activities on their own fora. They pass around such tips as how to wipe out a Peregrinnes nest, " Pre Ban."

Now; Why don't we all just sit down and try to be a little less hypocritical?

whats the last sentence supposed to mean?

the funny thing is i didn't know this guy from adam and he's telling me how they wipe nests out? he'd been keeping pigeons for 40 years and was telling me about all the hard work that went into them so i could kind of see his point but i was still gobsmaked when he was telling me!

all i can say is thank f**k pigeon racing is a dying sport :angry:

Why don't you become an Anti Pigeon? You could go around to their meets, and slip ferrets into the crates of pigeons when their backs are turned. :thumbs:

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

I can see the point that you pigeon boys are making and everyone is entitled to their own views! but the difference is a bop killing a pigeon is natural! a pigeon fancier killing a bop is not? I'm sure if i was brought up with pigeons i would feel the same but i wasn't so it's hard for me to see any thing good about them apart from food for bop :gunsmilie: or by the sounds of it targets for some on here :gunsmilie:

RIGHT c**ts............................

SAVAGELY ANNOYED AT ALL THE f*****g LITTLE NEWCOMERS OWNING ONE OR TWO POXY FERRETS AND MAYBE A DOG OR TWO ..WHAT SACRIFICE IS THAT??? A COUPLE OF BAGS OF DOGFOOD A MONTH..MAYBE A NEW LEAD EVERY OTHYER YEAR AT SOME GAME FAIR..A COUPLE OF HOURS A WEEK WALKING THEM..

COMPARED TO THE SUCCESSFUL, I REPEAT SUCCESSFUL PIGEON RACER..YOU ARE TALKING MAYBE 30 HOURS A WEEK AMONGST YOUR LOFT..MY GRANDFATHER WAS A FANATICAL PIGEON MAN AND IT WAS THROUGH THIS MEDIUM I DEVELOPED MY INTEREST IN FIELDSPORTS...AIR RIFLES, LUCHERS, TEERIERS WERE ALL KEPT BY HIS COMPANIONS AND ALLOWED ME TO SPEND A FANTASTIC CHILDHOOD AMONGST THEIR LOFTS AND FAMILIES..WHAT RIGHT HAS ANYONE TO TELL THEM THAT A f*****g BOP HAS A RIGHT TO FEAST ITSELF ON YOUR FLOCK..

MY BEST FRIEND FROM CHILDHOOD A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO RANG ME LATE IN THE NIGHT TO TELL ME THAT HIS ENTIRE FLOCK WAS WIPED OUT IN THE SAVAGE GALES THAT SWEPT BRITAIN THAT WEEK..HE LOST 200 PLUS BIRDS..SOME AT A VALUE OF SEVERAL HUNDRED POUNDS..BUT IT WASNT THE VALUE HE WAS BOTHERED ABOUT..HE HAD KEPT THEM FROM YOUTH AND CAREFULLY PERPETUATED HIS LINE BY DINT OF BREEDING FROM THE BEST (SOUND FAMILIAR MORONS???!!!!!) HE WAS DEVESTATED AND IT SPEAKS VOLUMES FOR HIS CHARACTER THAT HE ROSE TO THE TOP OF THE NORTH WEST SCENE..AND JUST TO LET ALL THE SMART ARSES KNOW ABOUT CLEVER COMMENTS RE "LETTING FERRETS INTO LOFTS" DIG AT THE BOTTOM OF AN ADdRESS I WILL GLADLY GIVE TO YOU AND SEE WHERE YOUR f*****g TWO PENCE A LITTER FERRETS ARE BURIED IN THEIR HUNDREDS...BY ME ...

I have seen some names on here and will remember them a longtime..if you see me at a gamefair feel free to discuss this wee tale with me..but i bet you dont

RIGHT c**ts............................

SAVAGELY ANNOYED AT ALL THE f*****g LITTLE NEWCOMERS OWNING ONE OR TWO POXY FERRETS AND MAYBE A DOG OR TWO ..WHAT SACRIFICE IS THAT??? A COUPLE OF BAGS OF DOGFOOD A MONTH..MAYBE A NEW LEAD EVERY OTHYER YEAR AT SOME GAME FAIR..A COUPLE OF HOURS A WEEK WALKING THEM..

COMPARED TO THE SUCCESSFUL, I REPEAT SUCCESSFUL PIGEON RACER..YOU ARE TALKING MAYBE 30 HOURS A WEEK AMONGST YOUR LOFT..MY GRANDFATHER WAS A FANATICAL PIGEON MAN AND IT WAS THROUGH THIS MEDIUM I DEVELOPED MY INTEREST IN FIELDSPORTS...AIR RIFLES, LUCHERS, TEERIERS WERE ALL KEPT BY HIS COMPANIONS AND ALLOWED ME TO SPEND A FANTASTIC CHILDHOOD AMONGST THEIR LOFTS AND FAMILIES..WHAT RIGHT HAS ANYONE TO TELL THEM THAT A f*****g BOP HAS A RIGHT TO FEAST ITSELF ON YOUR FLOCK..

MY BEST FRIEND FROM CHILDHOOD A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO RANG ME LATE IN THE NIGHT TO TELL ME THAT HIS ENTIRE FLOCK WAS WIPED OUT IN THE SAVAGE GALES THAT SWEPT BRITAIN THAT WEEK..HE LOST 200 PLUS BIRDS..SOME AT A VALUE OF SEVERAL HUNDRED POUNDS..BUT IT WASNT THE VALUE HE WAS BOTHERED ABOUT..HE HAD KEPT THEM FROM YOUTH AND CAREFULLY PERPETUATED HIS LINE BY DINT OF BREEDING FROM THE BEST (SOUND FAMILIAR MORONS???!!!!!) HE WAS DEVESTATED AND IT SPEAKS VOLUMES FOR HIS CHARACTER THAT HE ROSE TO THE TOP OF THE NORTH WEST SCENE..AND JUST TO LET ALL THE SMART ARSES KNOW ABOUT CLEVER COMMENTS RE "LETTING FERRETS INTO LOFTS" DIG AT THE BOTTOM OF AN ADdRESS I WILL GLADLY GIVE TO YOU AND SEE WHERE YOUR f*****g TWO PENCE A LITTER FERRETS ARE BURIED IN THEIR HUNDREDS...BY ME ...

I have seen some names on here and will remember them a longtime..if you see me at a gamefair feel free to discuss this wee tale with me..but i bet you dont

:wallbash: grow up it's a debate! do you think it's ok to wipe a nest of bop out?

Right here is a little conudrum then ...

Pigeon man is loosing chicks naturally to a bird of prey , he seeks to stem this by remedying the problem...

compare this to a sheep farmer loosing lambs naturally to a fox, he seeks to stem this by remedying the problem...

I dont see MUCH difference..

do you???

No one is talking about wiping out BOP but they must be controlled..yes these raptors have an important part to play in the ecosystem of their environment..but so do deer, foxes and rabbits...

Some peoples double standards are frankly amazing

Right here is a little conudrum then ...

Pigeon man is loosing chicks naturally to a bird of prey , he seeks to stem this by remedying the problem...

compare this to a sheep farmer loosing lambs naturally to a fox, he seeks to stem this by remedying the problem...

I dont see MUCH difference..

do you???

No one is talking about wiping out BOP but they must be controlled..yes these raptors have an important part to play in the ecosystem of their environment..but so do deer, foxes and rabbits...

Some peoples double standards are frankly amazing

ecosystem...................environment...............................you been to ditch shitter for lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whree did you copy those words from and do you know what they mean ?????????

yis fellman