ok, for all those Interested people that have asked, just do a google search on

battery hens welfare trust

this will bring up a list of collection points across the country, and e mail addresses of nearest to you, most do a pick-up on the 1st or 8th of the month

the hens are between 37 and 47 weeks old, and the charge 50p per bird

CHEERS MATE :thumbs:

well done stubby! theres nowt like havin chooks about! get some 'chicken spice' its a feed aditive that will pirk them up as theyre ex holocaust chooks,also worthy of note is that ive baught turkey grower pellets from scats,half the price of layers pellets and they love it,egg production has doubled too!

well, we picked up our chickens today, ended up taking 8 instead of the intended 6, as they had so many, dont look as bad as I expected, feather wise they are ok, I was expecting oven ready chicken look, I'll post some pictures tomorrow or monday, once they have settled in

poor things! Well done that man! been planning on getting a couple more (dont tell mt!!) nothing like your own eggs! dont think people would buy eggs from supermarket if they realised what the chickens look like! Stepsons girlfriend was down this week end and was concerned because there was shavings on an egg we brought in - was it safe to eat! :blink: didnt even seem to realise that this was where chicks came from but had to have a cockeral!!! Scarrry

I have had to fence in my flower beds and secure the bird table now as my three girls love exploring!!

Guest little_lloyd

My Grandad keeps about thirty chickens,, And has a few rescues from battery units and so called free range barn hens,, Its suprising how quickly they recover and keep you in supply of nice eggs,, I personly have my intrest in guniea fowl,, have two wandering around somewhere,, roosting somewhere on my shooting land,, Not for shooting just for my own intrest to look at as im about really,, cant get anywhere nere them tho,, bought up with pheasnts are wild like pheasants.

Ill try and get some pictures soon :victory:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one stubby, I got half a dozen from the battery welfare trust last year, they came without feathers and some had tumours and were PTS, the others are now the picture of health and very tame with a good laying ratio........