so, I got myself a new shed 3mx2m and didnt want to just use the old 6x4 for firewood, so the missus suggested turning it into a chicken house, Ive been busy all day, putting up roosting/laying trays etc, and she's been searching the net, found the place the hugh fernley whittingsale (cant spell) used for the rescue of battery hens, so after a quick e mail, we are due to pick up 6 in a weeks time, probably looking like oven ready more than chickens, but I'll put some pics up, and see how we get on

:clapper: Good on you. Dont forget the wire netting run. Unless theyre gonna be completely free range in that case keep your wits about you for the foxes, theyll have a go anytime around us. Dont forget to shut the door at night either ,one time you forget is the time foxy is about. Ive had hens for years{not the same ones mind] and the taste of grass fed free range organic hens eggs are out of this world.Remember the first egg my hens laid as you will, everyone wanted it. Good luck to you and your wife, you wont regret it. :clapper::clapper:

yeh watch out for the rats, couple of scoops of layers a day should be enough for six birds dont bee tempted to put too much down that when the problems start! If you are going to let them free range might be best to wait until they have laid eggs in the morning - my 3 go off and hide them if I let them out too early!!

If you have any flower borders you want to keep looking nice wire net around them!! my 3 re landscaped my borders today while I was out :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I find that a foot of mesh is plenty to remove the interest! strange because they will fly up onto my bird table given the chance!! I forgott to put it up after spring tidy up!

Oh and they will eat all your frogs as well! mine follow me when cutting the grass and chase after any frogs escaping the mower!

But after having your own eggs you will never want to eat a supermarket egg again even one of their free range! after our last move and no chickens we went 3 months without eggs until we got some new birds! bought a very expensive box of eggs the once and they were horendous! flat and pale :sick: mine dont look like that even after 4 weeks of being laid? how old are the ones in the supermarket!

All the best with them :yes:

Guest JohnGalway

I've deleted two posts in this thread. I'm posting as I may not have been able to reach both members by PM and I'd like each to know out of courtesy, so if either member has a problem please PM me with it ;). The proper section for a wanted ad is in Buy, Sell or Swop section. The other post was deleted just to keep this thread tidy and on topic.

'Av a nice da... errr... Night, or whatever it is where ever you are :)

And good luck with the chucks Stubby :thumbs:

:clapper: Good on you. Dont forget the wire netting run. Unless theyre gonna be completely free range in that case keep your wits about you for the foxes, theyll have a go anytime around us. Dont forget to shut the door at night either ,one time you forget is the time foxy is about. Ive had hens for years{not the same ones mind] and the taste of grass fed free range organic hens eggs are out of this world.Remember the first egg my hens laid as you will, everyone wanted it. Good luck to you and your wife, you wont regret it. :clapper::clapper:

cheers for the replies, have kept chickens before, so no worries on the husbandry,

will be inside a section of garden, meshed with 2"x2" pidgeon mesh (free from work) :whistling: and run back to shed of a night, although they normally do it themselves

and rats!! :D check what I do for a living

so, I got myself a new shed 3mx2m and didnt want to just use the old 6x4 for firewood, so the missus suggested turning it into a chicken house, Ive been busy all day, putting up roosting/laying trays etc, and she's been searching the net, found the place the hugh fernley whittingsale (cant spell) used for the rescue of battery hens, so after a quick e mail, we are due to pick up 6 in a weeks time, probably looking like oven ready more than chickens, but I'll put some pics up, and see how we get on

GOOD LUCK STUBBY ! GONNA GET SOME FOR MY ALLOTMENT SOON COULDN'T PUT E-MAIL ADDRESS UP FOR ME OR PM IT WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED MATE :cheers:

ok, for all those Interested people that have asked, just do a google search on

battery hens welfare trust

this will bring up a list of collection points across the country, and e mail addresses of nearest to you, most do a pick-up on the 1st or 8th of the month

the hens are between 37 and 47 weeks old, and the charge 50p per bird

Good luck with your new (or should I say recycled) chickens!

How may eggs would you expect a ckicken to lay? Do they lay one every day? Do they make much noise? I have head a rooster making noise but are the hens usually quieter?

i used to get 1 egg a day off mine and the hens only made the odd cluck or bit of a noise when scrapping as 1 was a bully. most of my neighbours didnt know i even had any chickens. i sold them when i thought i was moving house and then it fell through always regretted it ,going to get some more after i repaired the wood on the hen house. ive found out that if you cant have a cockerel due to the noise you can sometimes borrow one off a local breed club it will cover the hens in a day and the hen lays fertile eggs for up to 2 weeks if i remember right ideal if you want to breed hybrids etc, i was going to cross dorkings with sussex for a dual breed.