Took my English Bull to the vets yesterday to get her jabs :)

But whilst we were there the vets said that she had a heart murmur and to keep her away from vermin and watch she doesnt collapse :no:

Is this true ? Can she not come ratting anymore ?

Is there anything i shouldnt let her do because of it ?

Cheers

Very difficult question. Heart murmurs come in different grades dependent on there seriousness. a small grade one murmur will cause little in the way of problems beaing maybe a little back flow into one of the blood vessels but a more serious one can be very serious. You perhaps need to have a chat over the phone with your vet as to how bad your dogs is and what exercise is recommended. Keeping the dog as fit as possible within the recomended bounds and good weight control is important to optimise the heart and minimise any strain.

English Bull Terriers do have inherited heart defects, they can and should be tested for before breeding. You need to ask the vet what grade murmur the dog has. A grade 1 or 2 will probably mean the dog will never show any ill effects, any higher the possibility becomes bigger. If it were my dog, id let her do whatever she can, after all, a dog will be damn miserable if its not allowed to do anything. When the time comes, and she shows symptoms of it bothering her, then thats the time to stop. Thats me though. best of luck.

Dawn.

My old dog died from a heart murmour. It was grade 4 for years before she finally succumbed, and she never showed any symptons untill the week she died, i let her do anything and everything. She lived till she was 16yrs.

Moll.

same happened to me mate got told my lurcher had a heart murmur when took him to the vet for a bad cut......didnt run him for a while then one day he bit a hedgechog and his face swelled up.....the vet then said he hasnt got a heart murmur must of been air or something.....now he retreives hares...some vets guess mate i wouldnt definetly be sure of what they say mate

Took my English Bull to the vets yesterday to get her jabs :)

But whilst we were there the vets said that she had a heart murmur and to keep her away from vermin and watch she doesnt collapse :no:

Is this true ? Can she not come ratting anymore ?

Is there anything i shouldnt let her do because of it ?

Cheers

had beddie cross with heart murmer worked till 13yrs kept going on proponal

Guest john2007oliver
same happened to me mate got told my lurcher had a heart murmur when took him to the vet for a bad cut......didnt run him for a while then one day he bit a hedgechog and his face swelled up.....the vet then said he hasnt got a heart murmur must of been air or something.....now he retreives hares...some vets guess mate i wouldnt definetly be sure of what they say mate

They don't half guess, i took my staff the vet the other day cause shes has skin conditions and she said it may be the additives in the foods, so i told her i give my "other" dog raw meat, veg, and SA37 and bits of other things and the "other" dogs healthy, so i would try my staff on that, to be told, theres not enough extras in there that dogs need :wallbash: Well make ye feckin mind up additives or no additives.

PS: you vets probably an anti :feck:

Edited by john2007oliver

I know five Bedlington crosses all with heart murmurs....including the one we had. Ours was bad though as he used to stop dead and just shake. He went to a pet home where he gets the odd walk but nothing too bad.

I think if you had a pound for every lurcher the vets diagnose with heart murmurs you'd be a rich man

They don't half guess, i took my staff the vet the other day cause shes has skin conditions and she said it may be the additives in the foods, so i told her i give my "other" dog raw meat, veg, and SA37 and bits of other things and the "other" dogs healthy, so i would try my staff on that, to be told, theres not enough extras in there that dogs need :wallbash: Well make ye feckin mind up additives or no additives.

PS: you vets probably an anti :feck:

either an anti or a thick f*ck.....mind you she was a woman so that says it all :laugh:

We have two terriers with heart murmurs, Dottie our russell who has a Grade 1 murmur that wasnt even noticed till she was 3 years old - we found out when she went for her annual jabs one year, and Lily our pup who has a grade 4 - 5 murmur. The vet has told us theres no reason why she shouldnt go ratting and just to let her live life to the full - which she is - at the moment you wouldnt think there was a thing wrong with her to look at her - she is fit and full of life.

post-13035-1203506956_thumb.jpg

Quality of life counts for a lot, and if the dogs live to work then thats what they should do wherever possible.

post-13035-1203506798_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to hear about the dog mate.i'v got an english and hes got a murmur.i just let him do what he wants,i'd rather let him have a good few years of life than restrict him .he seems fine at the moment,my vet told me to watch for him coughing alot as its sign of it getting worse