caught napping

mooching in the afternoon mist, dog's working the hedgerow, across the dyke there is a row of trees amongst nettles, brambles, ground quite boggy, I was scanning the trees looking for a shot at woodies with the catapult when I saw this chap about 4 feet off the ground, I thought is he dead or asleep, a big dog fox he never moved until I said now then are you asleep, he lifted his head looked at me for a couple of seconds then he was down and off through the brambles. 

20241025_143719.jpg

20241025_143739.jpg

20241025_143713.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I noticed they don’t half sleep well. Especially in the summer often catch them napping in the rough grass. The old dog gave one or two a rather rude awakening. Felt bit sorry for them dozing away in the sun and next it’s all going badly wrong. Clocked one this year sleeping out on the edge of a field. Saw it a mile away and popped bitch on a lead . Walked right up to it and it was only when I circled up wind it woke up.

does your whippet keep close Fred or will it get its nose down and go ? 

12 minutes ago, terryd said:

I noticed they don’t half sleep well. Especially in the summer often catch them napping in the rough grass. The old dog gave one or two a rather rude awakening. Felt bit sorry for them dozing away in the sun and next it’s all going badly wrong. Clocked one this year sleeping out on the edge of a field. Saw it a mile away and popped bitch on a lead . Walked right up to it and it was only when I circled up wind it woke up.

does your whippet keep close Fred or will it get its nose down and go ? 

once her nose is down she's away mate, when she's on to something there's no stopping her, the beddywhippet has steadied up as she has got older, works a lot closer to me now. 

2 hours ago, fred90 said:

once her nose is down she's away mate, when she's on to something there's no stopping her, the beddywhippet has steadied up as she has got older, works a lot closer to me now. 

My young ones same Fred. Think I need a pointer that sticks to heel and goes oi its over there 😂 getting silly now a days every sod is watching you