RIP Geoff Capes

12 hours ago, TOMO said:

About 25 year ago I worked at a nightclub in Derby called the pink coconut Capes security took over the door and a few of us stayed on working for them...bloody hell he was a giant of a man when stood next to him

I met him once, he came to a nite club  in Sheffield, late 80,s as a guest  speaker  ,ya could go up to him  ask a question  , shake  hands that sort of thing so when I shook hands I says ( go on sqeaze ya fat b*****d ,you,ll not hurt me) anyway he squeezed nearly  broke my hand in 2,,, after about an hour I got kicked out for something  daft and had to sit outside an wait for all my mates, big Geoff came out  about an hour  later  recognised  me sat there freezing  sold ( got kicked out  young un ) he said  ( ya tha not going  Barnsley  way  ar tha) I says ( no cock I'm from Lancashire) and he walked of laughing,, none of the lads believed me  but it was true 😉 

• Haha 5

Another character of UK sport gone, condolences to family and friends. I know he was well know in the budgie world, but i'm sure i saw him on a BBC 2 Friday evening fishing show once, anybody know if he was an angler? 

Cheers. Aled

On 24/10/2024 at 08:10, tatsblisters said:

Definitely a British icon back in the day and I bet no feker took liberty's with him when he was a Bobby on the beat. 

How he die mate, and how old was he ? Didn't loose lot of weight few years  back? Was he married  and any kids.? I did like him. nice bloke on telly.

8 minutes ago, bird said:

How he die mate, and how old was he ? Didn't loose lot of weight few years  back? Was he married  and any kids.? I did like him. nice bloke on telly.

75years heart attack I believe.

1 hour ago, bird said:

I don't know Ray he was a big old lump though and them big geezers like him don't seem to live well into old age. 

2 hours ago, Aled said:

Another character of UK sport gone, condolences to family and friends. I know he was well know in the budgie world, but i'm sure i saw him on a BBC 2 Friday evening fishing show once, anybody know if he was an angler? 

Cheers. Aled

From Facebook, i thought he was an angler: 

Holbeach & District Angling Club

Geoff Capes was the President of Holbeach and District Angling Club for around 15 years. He was regularly on the banks of the Hollands when he was a youngster, fishing with his father, Bill who was a regular at the matches all his life. Condolences to all the family. RIP Geoff from all at the club.
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

I don't know Ray he was a big old lump though and them big geezers like him don't seem to live well into old age. 

your right mate but 75 ain’t bad i don’t think 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, bird said:

I know he had a son cos he worked with us on the door at the pink coconut in Derby

12 hours ago, TOMO said:

I know he had a son cos he worked with us on the door at the pink coconut in Derby

The security company was Higgins I think that Capes was involved in. They had somewhere in Newcastle too, long time ago.