14 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

This fella gets about

It was late May when I went down, I was still driving about after 1 o'clock in the morning first night down was on some odd tracks hares and muntjac all over feck knows where it was, seen a couple of big red deer running across a field next day, and wanted to have a look and walk at Thetford forest, but was too hot, was like the hottest day of the year in North east, but alright at the coast, saw loads of hares, big groups of them, could stay down there exploring for months I reckon

Simon is a great fella who i know ans he lives on my road about half mile from me,our kids went to the village school together and his kids are a credit to him and his wife. Iv'e lived in Norfolk just outside Diss as it goes for 20 odd years now and it is the county of game aplenty but it is also as boring as feck with no hills and the view is the same no matter how many fields you walk over,pluss it's eastern coast line is as dull as the chocolate sea that runs down it's side but the north coast is of clear water. I go sea fishing in Suffolk and do so much better there, it's a funny old county full of funny old folk but i have found it's either hello or feck off and not a lot in between with them,if you get permission it's all in and everything is game..I did see Hares boxing today 2 bucks hassling a doe and she was having none of it on my way to work this morning and it's a very rare day when i don't see a hare or a muntie or roe about and i only drive 2 miles to work..

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simon is a great fella who i know ans he lives on my road about half mile from me,our kids went to the village school together and his kids are a credit to him and his wife. Iv'e lived in Norfolk just

Just under 20 miles and the estate at Shadwell has some history about it, one story i might have said about before is a farmer in my village during the 1800's had a deer herd and a pack of hounds and

That's a set from Suffolk next to a 45 gallon barrel and that was just over 18 stone emptied out and i have seen far bigger in the forest in Norfolk many times and i once heard a herd running before i

Posted Images

I used to have a good customer and friend in Thetford so I used to drive down there quiet a bit.

He had this old mad local bloke used to work for him called David…..this bloke kept greyhounds and was always regaling me with story’s about his last race or the next race, typically it would be along the lines of “ Got to get home and give then old dog his medicine, racing tonight” which sounded funny in his broad Norfolk accent not least because you knew he was giving the dog speed (or wizz) as it was commonly called at the time.

He would be out in the woods poaching deer with a cross bow and all sorts, off his face half the time, a real old village character who was a constant amusement to us London lads.

Always love the drive up there and the scenery…..I bet that town is in a right state now.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WILF said:

I used to have a good customer and friend in Thetford so I used to drive down there quiet a bit.

He had this old mad local bloke used to work for him called David…..this bloke kept greyhounds and was always regaling me with story’s about his last race or the next race, typically it would be along the lines of “ Got to get home and give then old dog his medicine, racing tonight” which sounded funny in his broad Norfolk accent not least because you knew he was giving the dog speed (or wizz) as it was commonly called at the time.

He would be out in the woods poaching deer with a cross bow and all sorts, off his face half the time, a real old village character who was a constant amusement to us London lads.

Always love the drive up there and the scenery…..I bet that town is in a right state now.

I was up in Watton the other week which is near Thetford absolute shit hole groups of Roma gypsy hanging around every where, there was an old closed pub full of them you could tell that it was once a nice town I couldn’t wait to get back in my car, unfortunately it has succumbed to the disease that is spreading across this land.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
45 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

I was up in Watton the other week which is near Thetford absolute shit hole groups of Roma gypsy hanging around every where, there was an old closed pub full of them you could tell that it was once a nice town I couldn’t wait to get back in my car, unfortunately it has succumbed to the disease that is spreading across this land.

Same, Chicken process factories nearby, I did a week down there on a power station that ran on chicken crap, never again.  ..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

Where there's muck there's brass

image.png.f5d1aca05bee6deccec72c768d956360.png

I had to pullover and bin all my overalls/hi viz and anything contaminated on the way home lol

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, byron said:

Mate lives not far from you fireman..rushford/shadwell.

Just under 20 miles and the estate at Shadwell has some history about it, one story i might have said about before is a farmer in my village during the 1800's had a deer herd and a pack of hounds and would hunt the carted stag.He travelled to Hungary and bought some red deer as they were the best he could buy in Europe and brought them back and bred them with his herd,when they banned the hunting of the carted stag he let his herd go instead of culling them as the powers that be told him to do so and the red deer around Shadwell have been DNA traced to the Hungary reds and that is why the red deer around the Forest are some of the best in the land..Your mate lives in a wonderful setting and hope he gets out without the hassle from the forest wardens..

Wilf there are more non nationals in Thetford than there are English and the high street is very much like Watton but maybe not so many roma's but still plenty of eastern europeans. A little fact about Thetford is when we had a empire and used flintlocks every flintlock in the empire had black Norfolk flint as the flint and it was all mined around Thetford as it's the best flint for a clean spark..

There's a few chicken shit run power stations popping up and a big one being built on eye airfield next to the excisting one,big straw burning plant at Snetterton and plenty of those fuel out of maize jobbies being built.

It is a funny old county and one i am sort of fond of but it's more the Norfolk folk than the county and i miss hearing my old neighbour calling me by saying " Steve,come you yere bouy" ,a real lost in time people who's days are very much numbered....

Anyone ever down this way the kettle don't take long to boil and i have permisson to have a mooch out on..:victory:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fireman said:

A little fact about Thetford is when we had a empire and used flintlocks every flintlock in the empire had black Norfolk flint as the flint and it was all mined around Thetford as it's the best flint for a clean spark..

WWW.ENGLISH-HERITAGE.ORG.UK

Journey back in time at Grime’s Graves as you descend nine metres below ground into Britain’s only open Neolithic flint mine.

• Like 7

Had a night at the haunted Bell inn in Thetford must be 15 years ago and I was surprised to find it full of what I assumed were Eastern euros back then. It definitely wasn't the the quaint little picturesque English town that I'd imagined or that I'm sure it would have been at some point in the past. Interesting fact, Dad's Army was filmed around Thetford and the crew and cast stayed in the Bell inn whilst filming! Fortunately Casper never an appearance!

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Borr said:

Same, Chicken process factories nearby, I did a week down there on a power station that ran on chicken crap, never again.  ..

Crying shame that everything has gone to pot. Unfortunately it seems the same everywhere now wether rural or inner city. No were be left soon. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

Crying shame that everything has gone to pot. Unfortunately it seems the same everywhere now wether rural or inner city. No were be left soon. 

Never a truer word spoken mate and one of the reasons the son inlaw won't sell the patch of land he owns in the Orkneys as the remote places will no doubt be the only places left as this virus of mass immigration spreads across the country..

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Never a truer word spoken mate and one of the reasons the son inlaw won't sell the patch of land he owns in the Orkneys as the remote places will no doubt be the only places left as this virus of mass immigration spreads across the country..

I honestly can’t agree anymore . When I think local were I live . Only as little as since Covid . The standard of living has gone down. Run down houses , fly tipping everywhere. Just society breaking down in general. My dad has a canal barge and he says we’re he is , he is starting to see immigrants/foreign invaders now walking down the tow paths . Which he says he hasn’t seen in 30 years of boating. Really sad mate 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Leo Sayer said:

I honestly can’t agree anymore . When I think local were I live . Only as little as since Covid . The standard of living has gone down. Run down houses , fly tipping everywhere. Just society breaking down in general. My dad has a canal barge and he says we’re he is , he is starting to see immigrants/foreign invaders now walking down the tow paths . Which he says he hasn’t seen in 30 years of boating. Really sad mate 

Import the 3rd world, get the 3rd world……it really is as simple as that. 

• Like 2