Lurchers and water?

5 hours ago, OldPhil said:

You are going to miss the old Jukel when he goes Brother....😪

We always work on the same principle with our own rabbit dawgs,....Swimming and Retrieving are both useful disciplines , and when combined, they open up a myriad of opportunities to exercise a lurcher , both physically and mentally.... I'm not much of a swimmer myself😂 so I always walk out backwards into the deep water, with a puppy on a short lead...some have a bit of a panic😳,...but, if you keep calm and collected yourself, they soon relax and start to swim...

.Once they are confident , the sky is the limit and more so in the warm weather when the ground is bone dry and hard as gun metal,..

I prefer to give a dog 10 good long swims, pushing out to fetch the dummy...

.You cannot beat this for building up their muscles in a safe way...👍

File0099.jpg

I miss the grumpy bxgger already Phil. Even though he is still actually here . Albeit with a heart murmur and increasing deafness . He just about has enough eyesight left to respond to me waving my arms like Billy Graham . As in " Praise-be he learned hand signals when he was little."😁 

Still has his nose though.20240922_085557.jpg.8780abc71721cbfe1d8dff8de7fcff51.jpg

Your dog in the picture looks  like its spotted a mermaid.

Or has designs on the IOW ferry!

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't  think l ever had one that wouldn't. 

You are going to miss the old Jukel when he goes Brother....😪 We always work on the same principle with our own rabbit dawgs,....Swimming and Retrieving are both useful disciplines , and when com

This one loved water. Great sight to see them leaping in.

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Black neck said:

My beddy often swims the channel in the off season

One of my ferrets circumnavigated the globe …… it was my nans …. Bloody fell over though ,  and now the light don’t work ….  Edited to say the light on the globe …. Ferrets don’t have lights ….just incase you didn’t know that …. 

Edited by Franks dad
2 minutes ago, Franks dad said:

One of my ferrets circumnavigated the globe …… it was my nans …. Bloody fell over though ,  and now the light don’t work ….  Edited to say the light on the globe …. Ferrets don’t have lights ….just incase you didn’t know that …. 

Are u a member of a quiz team

11 hours ago, comanche said:

Bird , l must apologise.  I said l never had a dog that didn't  swim but l have just remembered that l did have one. Only briefly though.

I had a classic looking 70s pied deerhound lurcher "sapling" dumped on me after l stupidly said l would find a home for her. She went on a deer  on the far bank of a small river.

Unfortunately the river was choked  bank to bank with duckweed and looked like solid ground. 

Being swallowed up and plunged into deep water mid flight had quite a traumatic effect on her.  

After that she wouldn't look at a deer ,which was a blessing as l was living in tied accommodation on a big Estate . I don't  know if she ever got over her ensuing fear of water because l managed to rehome her.

I think the point about  it being easier to get a dog keen on swimming in warmer countries  could be valid as the owner is more likely to go in the water themselves.

Having said that ; l had a Zimbabwean lady as a lodger for a couple of years. She was a pet hypnotherapist( edited thanks to stupid predictive text) That should read " pet HYDROTHERAPIST !!!!!                and her patients included cats!   

When l asked what were the hardest dogs to get to swim she said ridgebacks and basenjis. Maybe being African breeds they had a genetic fear of ending up as crocodile food 😁

Talking of hydrotherapy, Ive taken Greyhounds swimming for fitness and getting back from injury. They get to like it but Christ it dont half take it out of them constant swimming especially when theyre a bit up tight the first time. Some of them swim lazy and hardly use back legs. A Croc behind might of helped get them going I suppose!!

Really impressed to see those swimming lurchers. So we do swim but honestly I've not had one of 11 I've owned in 45 years that enjoyed swimming for the hell of it. You can see here our current whippet and collie x showing lifeguarding skills in case anyone gets into trouble at the shallow end 😂

IMG-20240916-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20240916-WA0029.jpg

• Like 1
On 25/09/2024 at 15:01, OldPhil said:

You are going to miss the old Jukel when he goes Brother....😪

We always work on the same principle with our own rabbit dawgs,....Swimming and Retrieving are both useful disciplines , and when combined, they open up a myriad of opportunities to exercise a lurcher , both physically and mentally.... I'm not much of a swimmer myself😂 so I always walk out backwards into the deep water, with a puppy on a short lead...some have a bit of a panic😳,...but, if you keep calm and collected yourself, they soon relax and start to swim...

.Once they are confident , the sky is the limit and more so in the warm weather when the ground is bone dry and hard as gun metal,..

I prefer to give a dog 10 good long swims, pushing out to fetch the dummy...

.You cannot beat this for building up their muscles in a safe way...👍

File0099.jpg

Cracking pic. Shows the dog's enthusiasm for water. Think I've seen it  before. Shooting News?

• Like 1
On 26/09/2024 at 16:12, Daniel cain said:

My old patt bitch had to swim through more than 1 flooded tube in her time to get up to her quarry...that used to impress me,had other dogs just lay there and bay🙈..I f***ing miss her...IMG-20170219-WA0007.jpg.44e9ad9c3bf5c6d5023c5f92a2819dd8.jpg

Takes a good dog to do that

• Like 1