What age to start young ferrets working

Tam G

Just getting back into ferreting after 20 years away from it. Ferrets I had when I was younger had already been working when I got them so never had them from kits. I have two young hobs the now 13 weeks old. When’s a good age to get them started got them out going threw drainage pipes the now in garden.

Regards

Tam

Get them going threw pipes in the garden just now get them used to putting them down and picking them up moving your feet near them a lot of time spent on them just now stops them being hole shy later .Dont forget to put collars on and off them or first time out they will spend half the time rubbing there necks at the side of the hole 

• Like 4

Great advice from the answers above. Young ferrets are often nervous hunting the first couple of times out and if they are not used to being picked up around your feet it's a recipe for reluctance to fully exit the holes. Consistent sounds or talking to them when handling at home definitely helps them come back to you and as they learn the game this really speeds things up

I always work mine first season starting 4 to 5 months but don't expect much early on. Hopefully by February you'll see improvement and the benefit of careful starting. Good luck 

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the reply’s. Just getting used to this site, couldn’t work out how to get back on to my post  😂. Thank il all on board been spend roughly an hour each night handling them and letting them threw tubes and picking the up they already are keen to come to me if I don’t pick them up they climbing up my legs ect. Will start fitting collars. I never used collars 20 years ago when ferreting but was just lucky I guess always tane a spade but never needed it. But I will use the detection collar this time round. Also will start making a noise when feeding them perhaps just whistling to let them familiarise that with feeding. Thank you everyone 👍

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tam G said:

Thanks guys for the reply’s. Just getting used to this site, couldn’t work out how to get back on to my post  😂. Thank il all on board been spend roughly an hour each night handling them and letting them threw tubes and picking the up they already are keen to come to me if I don’t pick them up they climbing up my legs ect. Will start fitting collars. I never used collars 20 years ago when ferreting but was just lucky I guess always tane a spade but never needed it. But I will use the detection collar this time round. Also will start making a noise when feeding them perhaps just whistling to let them familiarise that with feeding. Thank you everyone 👍

As what the other lads have said already.

I made up some collars with no transmitter on them put them on for hours let them get used to it. Also let my nephews little kids take them for walk around the garden. As for age to start working if they were born in May I would work them around Christmas time starting on smallish places. As they get more confident run a experienced ferret with them in bigger places.

I think detectors are a great bit of kit especially down here in Devon with big thick hedges so handy to be able to tell if the ferret has slip out down the hedge.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2