Importing cigars to the uk.

Evening gents .

Has anyone ever imported (posted)their own supply of cigars into the UK?. 

I'm not looking to import tons of the things , as I'm starting to get more interested in collecting them than smoking them.

I'd like to get mates to post me a few back to the UK,  whenever they go abroad , without cutting back on their own tobacco allowances , but I don't know where to start.

All that I can really find is how to do it in bulk, for resale.

My sis brought a few back from Cuba for her friends husband in her hand-luggage. If you post them labelled as cigars HMRC will open them, if you label them as something else it's hit and miss, some will get through some won't that's the nature of the game, what sort of quantity and source country are you thinking? 

4 hours ago, mackem said:

My sis brought a few back from Cuba for her friends husband in her hand-luggage. If you post them labelled as cigars HMRC will open them, if you label them as something else it's hit and miss, some will get through some won't that's the nature of the game, what sort of quantity and source country are you thinking? 

I was only thinking a dozen cigars now and again mack ,  so that I'd got a couple to smoke , and a couple for the humidor.    I hadn't really got as far as thinking about what country to be honest , as I've never left the UK,  and I have no idea what could be bought and from where.

The Mrs and kids have been buying the odd Cuban for me over the last few months , and a mate bought me a sampler pack of gurkha cigars. I've only smoked a couple so far , but I really enjoyed them , and would like to try all of the different sampler packs.  They're just a bit expensive in this country.

I think I'm a bit like a fisherman with floats and lures.  The pretty colours on the packs are just too tempting.

IMG-20240917-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20240917-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20240917-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20240917-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20240917-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20240917-WA0014.jpg

You have expensive tastes, some of those top Gurkha cigars fetch over a million USD.If it's only a dozen and your honest label them as cigars, get them posted and pay the duty on them, if your not prepared to pay duty label them as something else entirely and you may drop lucky or you may lose them. I love the smell of a good cigar, cigarettes smell rank, a decent cigar smells richly exotic, like a foreign journey with a dusky woman. There's a restaurant I eat in now and again in London that's got a humidor on view with a decent range of cigars, I look at them sometimes, the smoke of a civilised man with a rough edge? 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, mackem said:

You have expensive tastes, some of those top Gurkha cigars fetch over a million USD.If it's only a dozen and your honest label them as cigars, get them posted and pay the duty on them, if your not prepared to pay duty label them as something else entirely and you may drop lucky or you may lose them. I love the smell of a good cigar, cigarettes smell rank, a decent cigar smells richly exotic, like a foreign journey with a dusky woman. There's a restaurant I eat in now and again in London that's got a humidor on view with a decent range of cigars, I look at them sometimes, the smoke of a civilised man with a rough edge? 

A nice cigar , makes you feel like you've won 😁.

I'm happy to pay the duty on them to be honest mack( as happy as anyone can be), but I couldn't find out how to pay it .  I've done a bit of goggling,  and it just seems to be set up for importing large amounts of tobacco.

I've recently bought another new humidor , and my stepson is in the process of making me an even larger one , that's made from oak , and lined with cedar , but I'd really like one the size of a small drinks fridge , so that I could fill it with 500 nice cigars. That would look and smell fantastic.

Not much gets me too excited in life , and fast cars and rolex watches don't float my boat.  But when I really want something,  it drives me mad until I get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, mel b said:

I've recently bought another new humidor , and my stepson is in the process of making me an even larger one , that's made from oak , and lined with cedar , but I'd really like one the size of a small drinks fridge , so that I could fill it with 500 nice cigars. That would look and smell fantastic.

I love the look of humidors,if your ever in London pop into Sheesh for a burger and marvel at their humidor, I really do hope you get a well stocked humidor. 

As for paying the duty if it's intercepted by HMRC your going to get a postcard through the door inviting you to pay whatever duty they levy upon your smokes before they are released. It's all good in the hood Mel. 

1 hour ago, mackem said:

I love the look of humidors,if your ever in London pop into Sheesh for a burger and marvel at their humidor, I really do hope you get a well stocked humidor. 

As for paying the duty if it's intercepted by HMRC your going to get a postcard through the door inviting you to pay whatever duty they levy upon your smokes before they are released. It's all good in the hood Mel. 

A burger and a cigar . What could be better 😁.

It looks like that's the answer then. I'll just see if I can get them posted here , and pay the duty when hmrc write to me 👍.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Mackem, I’m sure you’ll recognise these; 

4FDA6C99-C64C-4274-94A6-B647105B2648.jpeg.de23f1b0c5a782f4c6e0758304d8b528.jpeg

Monogrammed cigars from the Philippines.

Cheers.

Made from the finest cured tinustos,smoked with a shot of fundador while watching a sabong derby in the Araneta? 

10 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Mackem, I’m sure you’ll recognise these; 

4FDA6C99-C64C-4274-94A6-B647105B2648.jpeg.de23f1b0c5a782f4c6e0758304d8b528.jpeg

Monogrammed cigars from the Philippines.

Cheers.

I very much like the look of those charts , and it just so happens that my brother is living in the Philippines 😁. He's back over here for a few weeks at the moment,  so I'd better get my order in before he goes back 😁

• Like 2
Just now, mel b said:

I very much like the look of those charts , and it just so happens that my brother is living in the Philippines 😁. He's back over here for a few weeks at the moment,  so I'd better get my order in before he goes back 😁

Did you ever find out which Island in the archipelago he is on Mel? 

5 minutes ago, mackem said:

Made from the finest cured tinustos,smoked with a shot of fundador while watching a sabong derby in the Araneta? 

Not quite; the houseboy used to bring me a box back every time he returned from leave, and I don’t even smoke, but nice to have for guests !

Cheers.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mel b said:

I got a box for my mothers uncle who was a retired marine engineer.

His name on the box and each individual cigar.

Im sure I saw his eyes moisten as he looked at them and I’ll bet he was thinking of his time steaming around the South China and Andaman Seas…..

Cheers.

• Like 2
Just now, mackem said:

Did you ever find out which Island in the archipelago he is on Mel? 

I'll ask him when I see him over the next few days mack .  I know it's in the arse end of nowhere. To see a doctor , you have to go on a two hour boat ride to the next island , and when he comes home , he has to get a small boat to an island , then a bigger boat to a bigger island , then a small plane to somewhere else , before he can get on a big plane to somewhere civilised.