How many miles.......

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe in random events influencing lives. We are just pinballs bouncing off corners. Something happens along the way  which dictate or change  your whole life. Often you can be enjoying life and t

A mate of mine sent me a class photo I hadn't seen for 50 years. I think it was a passing out  ceremony for something to do with the Catholic Church. A lot of the lads on the photo are dead, did jail

My folks moved from chalvey to Stroud where I was born , father worked in Saudi at the time, 6 months later they moved back to Thames valley , and proceeded to move us from Berkshire to Surrey maybe 5

Posted Images

15 hours ago, jukel123 said:

And would you walk them?

No, you wouldn’t get me back to London if you laid on a luxury state procession ! Lol 

Edited by WILF
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

About 15 miles for me....born in Bethnal Green but lived in most parts of East London growing up from Mile End to Canning Town.....same as most chaps of my generation from the manor if you do reasonably well you move out to Essex and if you dont you stay put,i moved away over 20 years ago now but still have a place in just about the only respectable part left in East London.......ive always admired folk who stay in the area they was raised just seems something quite honourable about it to me.

I watched a good documentary on YouTube about people from your manor mate, it was called something like “The last Eastender” or something like that…..it was about that very thing, family's who had lived down the same street forever and the daughter was moving away, another was an old girl and there was a bus driver.

The funniest was a paki who could see Tate & Lyle out of his front room window saying how all the old family’s had moved out and the area was changing since traditional east Enders like his family had come to live there ! Lol 

• Haha 1

Back where i was brought up, moved home 19 years ago, strangely enough like many West Walians i went to live in Cardiff, and met my wife who was also from the same area as me, so me moved back and got married in 2005. However i did live in Worcestershire for 2 years Devon for 3 years, Mid Wales for 3, and Cardiff for 5 before i came home. Had things worked out differently along the way i could well of stayed in Cardiff. 

Cheers. Aled

Edited by Aled

I totally get the attitude of it’s a noble thing to stay in your area, but at the same token who would want to be 75 and living on some estate in Peckham or Catford ?……bars on your windows and doors and afraid to walk down the shop ? 
Obviously I understand the mindset of wanting to get the f**k out, who wants to live amongst these people when you are completely helpless to stop it ?…….you only get one life and at some point you have to not think about “you” and think about your kids.

Its a hard one, I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer, you make your choices and live with it.

I think you will at some point in the future  start to see Eastern European countries encouraging indigenous British and other European people to move there, maybe I’m way off the mark but I could see it for people who want to escape the wreckage of a once civilised country. 
However that’s just my take on it, I’m sure plenty of folks see nothing wrong at all and love it. 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, WILF said:

I totally get the attitude of it’s a noble thing to stay in your area, but at the same token who would want to be 75 and living on some estate in Peckham or Catford ?……bars on your windows and doors and afraid to walk down the shop ? 
Obviously I understand the mindset of wanting to get the f**k out, who wants to live amongst these people when you are completely helpless to stop it ?…….you only get one life and at some point you have to not think about “you” and think about your kids.

Its a hard one, I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer, you make your choices and live with it.

I think you will at some point in the future  start to see Eastern European countries encouraging indigenous British and other European people to move there, maybe I’m way off the mark but I could see it for people who want to escape the wreckage of a once civilised country. 
However that’s just my take on it, I’m sure plenty of folks see nothing wrong at all and love it. 

I live on what I would call a moderate council council estate were a large majority are hard working folk though the last 15 years have slowly seen it deteriorating wether that's because I'm getting old I don't know but I know one thing I am dreading reaching an age where I can't get about like I do. I don't blame anyone who has upped sticks for a better quality of life one bit. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, WILF said:

my kids play same street i did mate been trying to catch the same bats these last few month i did decades ago lol neighbour left of me would let me sit watch football as a kid only one with sky lol he just passed his missus losing her way i’ll let her son know she ok help in garden me pal i’ve known since birth lives right opposite me me old lady is round the corner 

what would your kids do have to play with in the middle a no we’re there 20 playing about each night we’re i am 

or worse one a them knew estates in the sticks were everyone thinks there a cut above watch everything going on nosey b*****d report you as look at ya f**k that lol 

me sister is in half a million pound house like it her bloke sending me vids id a gone mad he thought it was funny i left a tourer on the drive on his ring cam  all day was just neighbours walking up having a look about it inside it all day you let fireworks works off the day after bonfire night there all over the facebook page finding out who it is all going on one f**k that for a game a cards lol 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

my kids play same street i did mate been trying to catch the same bats these last few month i did decades ago lol neighbour left of me would let me sit watch football as a kid only one with sky lol he just passed his missus losing her way i’ll let her son know she ok help in garden me pal i’ve known since birth lives right opposite me me old lady is round the corner 

what would your kids do have to play with in the middle a no we’re there 20 playing about each night we’re i am 

or worse one a them knew estates in the sticks were everyone thinks there a cut above watch everything going on nosey b*****d report you as look at ya f**k that lol 

me sister is in half a million pound house like it her bloke sending me vids id a gone mad he thought it was funny i left a tourer on the drive on his ring cam  all day was just neighbours walking up having a look about it inside it all day you let fireworks works off the day after bonfire night there all over the facebook page finding out who it is all going on one f**k that for a game a cards lol 

Yep, I totally get all that mate, There’s plenty of value in everything you say.

Somewhere like I live is isolated for kids, without a doubt but it’s 10 minutes into town car ride and my lad can see all his pals, go to the pub for a night out without fear of getting stabbed, everyone knows everyone and they all watch out for each other…..so it’s swings and roundabouts mate, but I do take your point.

My opinion (and it is only just mine) is that our kids are going to have to deal with stuff we wouldn’t have dreamed of in our wildest nightmares and will be less free than we ever were…..only the individual can make the calculation as to if that’s worth it. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Yep, I totally get all that mate, There’s plenty of value in everything you say.

Somewhere like I live is isolated for kids, without a doubt but it’s 10 minutes into town car ride and my lad can see all his pals, go to the pub for a night out without fear of getting stabbed, everyone knows everyone and they all watch out for each other…..so it’s swings and roundabouts mate, but I do take your point.

My opinion (and it is only just mine) is that our kids are going to have to deal with stuff we wouldn’t have dreamed of in our wildest nightmares and will be less free than we ever were…..only the individual can make the calculation as to if that’s worth it. 

i agree with you wilf as kids were older been out the way can’t be bad but 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 been around others intergrating playing about does them the world of good i think pubs all closed round me now lol 

i get it i’ve had friends stabbed killed 

i think you seen it change a lot worse we’re you was to a lot of people about the country mate 

• Like 1
On 15/09/2024 at 11:32, Bush Rummager said:

You got your eye on anywhere in particular in England mate? I'm just about smack bang in the middle. There's f**k all here but it's great for getting around the UK! No idea where I'd actually go if I ever was to move. 

Screenshot_20240915_105919_Maps.jpg.f3b8393c8cc5cd83d1fb3519beecf775.jpg

Gloucester mate on the waterways 🤞

• Thanks 1